Jewish Weddings

What Did you Do with your Broken Glass?

There are a lot of beautiful, but very expensive, items that are sold to incorporate your broken wedding glass.

I'm thinking of framing my invitation and putting the glass around that, or maybe buying a mirror and somehow decorating the outside with the glass.

I've looked on Etsy and only one person I found does anything with the glass, and she fuses it together which sort of defeats the purpose (in my mind) of having the broken glass.

What have you done with yours?  

Thanks!

Re: What Did you Do with your Broken Glass?

• ucfandreaucfandrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought one of the mezzuzahs that has a vessel for the broken glass to be stored in.  We plan to hang it on our first home we buy together.
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do anything.
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend bought the glass for us as a shower gift.  For our wedding gift, she purchased the mezzuzah the glass will be put in to.  As soon as I get the glass back from my parents I will have it all taken care of.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    ours was a light bulb and is  sitting on a random shelf in our living room.  i wanted to do something with it, but still feel weird about holding onto an item that symbolizes all the brokkenness in the world.   i've just  procrastinated about doing anything with it rather than tossing it.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, keep the suggestions coming!
    V--there are many interpretations to the broken glass, including one that says your marriage will stay together as long as the glass is broken (because you can't piece it back together.)  Another reminding you that your marriage is fragile and therefore you need to treat it with care.  For these reasons I'm keeping mine.

I'm still leaning toward the frame idea.
  • Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We gave ours to a glass artist who used the shards in a mezzuzah for us and it hangs on the door frame of our home. 
  • edited December 2011
    We did something similar to what you were thinking of. When I had the ketubah framed, the framers put in a small box below the ketubah in which the shards sit so that it can be seen through the glass.
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of putting the shards under the Ketubah!  Do you have a picture of what that looks like?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have any pics of it, but I'd compare it to something like this: clicky

It's called a shadow box where the ketubah lays against the back of the thick frame and then allows space for the broken shards to also lay inside between the back of the frame and the glass covering.
  • edited December 2011

My great uncle took me and bought us the glass and a mezzuzah with a spot to hold the broken glass. Then we will hang it on our hosue that we hope to find soon.

• nikkib92487nikkib92487 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What my in-laws did, and we are planning to do, is they found a company that doesn't quite fuse it back together, they simply put the shards back in the shape of the glass, but with space in between so you can see it's still broken.  It is then encased in glass and engraved with the names and the date.  It sits in a place of honor on my MIL's shelf, and I can't wait to do the same. If I can get the name of the company, I will post it for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards