Jewish Weddings

favors

Re: favors

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, the first idea is that there is no actual need for favors.  At most Jewish weddings, there might be programs, yarmulkes, and benchers for guests to use during the ceremony/reception, but not separate favors to take home.

If you nevertheless choose to have favors, edible ones are the most popular.   Or if you can do something that is personal to your guests, that would be good.  For example, if you are having a photobooth (professional or DIY), you could get things like bookmarks, magnets, or frames in which guests could put a copy of their own photos.

Whatever you do, do not send guests home with nonedible favors with your names/monogram on them.  While those may be great souvenirs to have in your own home, people typically do not want to display souvenirs with other people's names on them in their own homes.
  • edited December 2011

We are giving out a pair of Safed shabbat candles. They are beautiful and useful and from Israel!

• edited December 2011
    Wow those are pretty and such a unique idea! I would love to do that but alot of my guests are not jewish...though they are so pretty they might like em!
  • edited December 2011

The majority of our guests are not Jewish either. We found them for a wholesale price at a website called dollar days. VERY reasonably priced. We are buying the bulk boxes and then tying them in pairs with a small note.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you for sharing your idea...what are you writing on the note?
  • edited December 2011
    I disagree with the non-edible, monogram idea.  Depends on what you give and if your guests will like them.  You'll never get all your guests to like the favors you pick; frankly, the last thing I'd want is candy or other edible; I'd prefer something that reminded me of the couple and the fun day I had.

We are planning on getting coffee mugs with our date and compared to almonds or other candy I've endured at past events, I'd much rather get something of some use.
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

we didn't have favors at our wedding, but one favor i liked at another wedding was playing cards with the bride and groom's names and date on it.  it was a "useful" favor that you wouldn't throw away.

image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm purchasing Kosher pareve chocolate-covered almonds in bulk in my main wedding color.  I'm putting them in little white boxes from Michael's and tying them with ribbon.  Favors are by no means a requirement, but it's always a nice gesture of thanks to your guests.
  • edited December 2011
    Danala- I haven't figured out what will be on the note. we are putting our monogram on one side and probably something thank you for sharing in our celebration. I will probably also include a short sentence about the candles being from Israel. My fiance is Israeli and we are living in Israel now so we want to connect that with our friends back home.
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a guest, I really don't care about a coffee mug or deck of cards with a couple's name and wedidng date.  The only favors I have enjoyed are the edible variety, and mostly if they are chocolate.

IMHO, it is much more meaningful to make a donation to a charity that has some significance in your life in honor of your guests rather than spend money on something that is likely to either be tossed or left on the table.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have decided to give tzedakah instead of favors. We are going to place cards on each table explaining the organization we chose. It seemed to be a better use of our money than giving everyone a little gift. While I do enjoy getting wedding favors, we thought this would be more meaningful for us.
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards