Jewish Weddings

another timing question

How did you/are you going to handle the timing of the yichud and all the other things going on?  We're doing pictures before the ceremony, and then a receiving line after it at the ceremony site, before people head over to the reception.  And while we'll do a lot of photographs before, we'll probably end up doing some in there as well. 

(Note: Reform/interfaith ceremony; I am not Jewish.  My apologies if I say anything completely clueless, and please tell me if I do.  The yichud would be completely optional for us, but we'd like to include it.)

Re: another timing question

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I believe that according to Halacha (Jewish Law), newly married couples must go straight from the chuppah into the Yichud room (ask your Rabbi to make sure this is indeed the case).  If you want to have a receiving line, this is usually done after yichud.  However, since you're having an interfaith wedding, you may not be concerned about following Jewish law.

We didn't do a receiving line, we went around to tables during the reception instead.

Here are some links regarding yichud, if you're interested:
    http://www.chabad.org/library/howto/wizard_cdo/aid/476773/jewish/Yichud-Room.htm
    http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/477338/jewish/Yichud-Room.htm
    http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/313727/jewish/Privacy-Yichud.htm

image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I concur; you have to have your yichud immediately after.  We are doing much of the photos before and the few that we are doing after (which will just be the two of us), we are doing en route to the reception.

We aren't doing a receiving line; we are going to chat with as many foks at the cocktail hour (we didn't do the standard order because we are in two locations) and if we don't get to everyone, we will eventually at the reception.  Many folks we see regularly, so the focus will be on those that came from out of town or who we hardly see first.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I will have to look into figuring out if we can rope a few family members into making sure people stay, somehow.  Because if we're not out there when they file out, I have a feeling they'll hop in their cars and head over to the reception site.   And I'd really like to do a receiving line -- I get easily overwhelmed by crowds, and I know if I don't there will be someone I'll forget to see.

Or maybe I can figure out a set of photographs to do without us, and get everyone doing those.  That could work.   It's not a huge wedding, so getting everyone lined up on the steps for a few pictures would be feasible. 

I will ask the Rabbi when we meet with him next.  Also, looking at those links, the time mentioned is 8 or 10 minutes -- I hadn't realized it was so short.  I thought it was longer than that.  Stalling people for 8-10 minutes should be much more do-able than 20 or so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards