Jewish Weddings
Options

Ketubah

Hello. I am getting married really soon- May 5th. I have my Ketubah and in came rolled up in a poster container. I would like to flatten the Ketubah to make it easier to sign. Any suggestions on how to get the Ketubah to lay flat without ruining it? Also once it is flat, what is the best way to transport it ( I am driving to the venue)?Thanks- Karen

Re: Ketubah

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:de856477-ba14-4322-be62-f4620384e102Post:ab2cc4b1-a005-475f-a6d7-f83386588c7a">Ketubah</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello. I am getting married really soon- May 5th. I have my Ketubah and in came rolled up in a poster container. I would like to flatten the Ketubah to make it easier to sign. Any suggestions on how to get the Ketubah to lay flat without ruining it? Also once it is flat, what is the best way to transport it ( I am driving to the venue)?Thanks- Karen
    Posted by friedn59[/QUOTE]

Mazel Tov (and, great date - May 5 is my birthday!).

I unrolled it and laid it flat with some books on each corner for about a week.  This flattened it perfectly.  For transporting a signing, I bought a piece of white foam board and put photo corners on the four corners.  Then, I slipped the ketubah right into the photo corners.  Then, I bought a piece of thick, but, pliable clear plastic and put that into the photo corners, too.  That way, the plastic was easy to remove for signing and easy to put back in for displaying.  Oh, and I had the art store cut both the foam board and the plastic to the size I needed.  Easy peasy.
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    I bought a cheapie frame at Michaels and put the ketubah in it without the plastic cover. That way, we could all sign it and then display it without worrying about its condition the whole day. Afterward, I had it professionally framed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:de856477-ba14-4322-be62-f4620384e102Post:08d8f431-aac1-4c1a-9f24-9ef9c9465796">Re: Ketubah</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought a cheapie frame at Michaels and put the ketubah in it without the plastic cover. That way, we could all sign it and then display it without worrying about its condition the whole day. Afterward, I had it professionally framed.
    Posted by Kangaroo11[/QUOTE]

I like this idea, I might just do that myself!
  • Options
    I bought a piece of white foam board and put photo corners on the four corners.  Then, I slipped the ketubah right into the photo corners.  Then, I bought a piece of thick, but, pliable clear plastic and put that into the photo corners, too.  That way, the plastic was easy to remove for signing and easy to put back in for displaying.  Oh, and I had the art store cut both the foam board and the plastic to the size I needed. 

This is  what we did.  We took it to a custom framing shop to get  the plastic cover since we couldn't find one at ACMoore/michaels.  Make sure whatever you get is acid free.  It worked great to hold it until the wedding and during the wedding to display it without concerns about it getting damaged.   
  • Options
    Those are all great suggestions. We covered our ketubah to protect it and kept it in a large drawer with weights on top (we used books) until the wedding.  This worked really well.  The week of the wedding we brought the ketubah to the synagogue and kept it in the bridal suite on the stand they provided.  You can check out http://www.mazelmoments.com for more information on ketubahs.  Also a suggestion - if you're buying a new "special" pen for the ketubah signing, you should use it a few times before you use it to sign the ketubah.  Many new pens have a lot of ink in the first few uses, and this can get smudged and messy.  Just a tip I thought might help. Mazel tov on your wedding!
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions
  • Options
    all great ideas.  i concur on pp's tip about using your pen a few times before signing the ketubah with it.  we purchased special pens for signing documents (acid free, maybe? can't remember), and we used them for the first time when we signed the ketubah.  the tips hadn't been broken in yet and the ink wasn't flowing all that well, so made signing a bit awkward.  my signature looks like crap b/c i couldn't get the pen to write as smoothly as i wanted it to.

good luck!

v.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:de856477-ba14-4322-be62-f4620384e102Post:08d8f431-aac1-4c1a-9f24-9ef9c9465796">Re: Ketubah</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought a cheapie frame at Michaels and put the ketubah in it without the plastic cover. That way, we could all sign it and then display it without worrying about its condition the whole day. Afterward, I had it professionally framed.
    Posted by Kangaroo11[/QUOTE]

I did something similar, except I had it custom-framed without the glass, and then after the wedding, I went back to Michael's and had the glass inserted.  During the reception, I had it displayed on an easel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards