Jewish Weddings

Congrats Rach!

Officially into 2nd trimester!!
Who have you told so far, I know still no on FB.  How was 1st tri, major morning sickness? Tell us the good, bad and ugly.

Re: Congrats Rach!

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, Alina!

We just told my family this weekend.  We haven't told my in laws yet because my fil is currently working in Boston and won't be returning to NY for a few weeks, and my husband wants to tell both his parents together in person, so I'm not really sure when they will know or when we're going to tell our friends.

In the beginning, it was really hard not to tell (and thus why I was so grateful I had the bump and other websites to chat with other women), but then after I got used to not telling, it was really hard to spill the beans!  I guess I felt safer keeping it a secret, kind of like if I tell then something bad might happen, you know?  I'm still kind of nervous about telling people in real life!  It is kind of strange how I feel so comfortable being so honest on an online message board and yet so nervous about telling our friends/family.  The truth is that in a few weeks, I probably won't be able to keep it a secret much longer because of an obvious bump!

Anywho, unlike most women, I had very little morning sickness or nausea and didn't throw up at all.  The main thing was that as long as I kept eating, I felt fine.  So instead of losing weight/staying the same weight like most people do in the 1st tri, I've already gained almost 10 lbs (doh).  I've also been craving beef (burgers and steaks), which I rarely ate before!  Another thing that kind of sucks, is I used to really enjoy running for exercise, but my OB advised me not to do this, so I've just been going for long walks. (fyi, a lot of people do continue to run until they aren't comfortable doing so anymore, I am just being cautious and listening to my doctor, some doctors may say it is fine!)

Other symptoms thus far:  peeing 24/7, moodiness, bloating, exhaustion.  I'm probably forgetting some, but you get the gist!

One thing that is really amazing that I never realized before, is that the baby is basically fully formed in the 1st tri.  I had an ultrasound last week and it already looked like a real baby to me, with all of its parts.  The 2nd and 3rd tri are mostly just spent getting bigger.

So that is it, basically. If anyone has specific questions about pregnancy, feel free to send me a pm.  I'm pretty new to this so I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but I will try my best!  Even though I'm almost 1/3 of the way done, I still am feeling very cautious about it, the true "Jewish mother" has already come out, I'm constantly worrying that something may go wrong, hopefully I'll be able to relax some more in the coming weeks/months :)
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Lol - I am always moody, so it'll be nice to have a real excuse.  :)

Glad things are going well.  I'm hoping when it's my time, I can stay fairly active - but everyone is different.  Thanks for the update.
    edited December 2011
    Here are some pics from yesterday if you're interested (I'm not sure if anyone really is into these things unless it is your own baby since all of them relatively look the same)!

• edited December 2011
    awwwww. How did your families react? Can't believe you waited until 2nd tri to tell your MOM and DAD!!
    edited December 2011
    My parents and brother were SO happy!

We told my in laws on wednesday and they're very happy also!

I know, like I said, at first it was really hard NOT to tell, but then after a few weeks of getting used to "hiding it", I was fine.  I really wanted to tell my mom right away though, but then DH would want to tell his parents and I didn't want the news to spread so fast, 'ya know?  Hopefully by the beginning of next week we'll be able to tell all of our friends (DH's best friend is traveling out of the country right now and he wants to tell him first, so we have to wait for him to get back).  But I'm still a worrier lol, so I'm still nervous about everything working out.  Taking one day at a time :)
  • Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't wait to tell my parents we told them right away.  We figured that if something happened we would tell them right away.  Rachel are you buying anything for the baby before you have it?  I know a lot of jews don't.  We bought the crib and I really want to have it delievered but my DH doesn't want it in the house until the baby is born.  All I want to do is buy it is so hard to resist the cute things.  Are you going to find out what your are having.  We decided not to.  Big surprise at the end.  mazel tov again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    Danaz -

As of right now I'm not planning on buying anything until maybe a few weeks or so before the due date.  I am picking out things I want though.  I'm registering for some things even though I am not going to have a shower, because it is an easy way to keep track of what you want, and also a lot of places send you a coupon if you register with them.  And of course, some people may want to purchase something for the baby after it arrives, so it might be a good idea for that too.

I understand where your DH is coming from, but I personally don't think that it will bother me to have a few major things in the house a few weeks before my due date, just makes it easier to have a few things set up already.  Maybe you can convince him to let you have the crib once you reach 36 weeks or so!
  • edited December 2011

Ditto Rachel's idea - many of my friends avoided getting anything, though a few registered just to keep track, but it wasn't made known until closer or after the baby was born.  But, the only thing purchased ahead of time was the crib, but it was usually done within a week of the due date.

I'll probably do the same when the time comes - just the crib since you'll need that right away, and other needed items (diapers, etc.), can be purchased by hubby or parents for when baby gets home, then we'll let folks know of the registry and people can get us something if they'd like - though checks at the bris or baby naming works too, lol!

We are going to take the summer to relax and then think about family and other issues after the High Holidays. 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Rachel.  Hope you aren't too uncomfortable with this heat. 

• edited December 2011
    Yay for second tri! I feel like that time was so long ago, but it's only been about 15 months for me! You are so strong for keeping it a secret for so long. With Eli, we told my parents at 5w6d! I think next time it might be easier to keep it a secret since I have someone to run after and distract me!

Feel free to share your USs with us, I LOVE looking at them! I am becoming a birth-aholic! I am working on becoming a birthing instructor and lactation consultant because of the amazing experiences from having my own child.  Never in a million years would I think that is where my life would go! I'd love to answer any questions if you ever come up with any!

BTW - you don't need a crib right away. I reccommend an Arm's Reach co-sleeper - best invention EVER!
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards