Jewish Weddings
Options

Veil for Reform/Conservative wedding

Is it tradition to wear a blusher or otherwise have the veil cover my face when I walk down the aisle?  I am Reform and my fiance is Conservative.  We are not extremely religious, but want to follow tradition.  Thanks!

Re: Veil for Reform/Conservative wedding

• Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will probably get a lot of different answer on this, but, if you have a traditional conservative ceremony (i.e.,, have a traditional conservative Rabbi), your FI will place the veil over your face before the ceremony, known as the Bedeken, and then you will leave it covering your face as you walk down the aisle and for most of the ceremony.

Again, you will get many different answers on this.  This is one of those things that is up for interpretation differently by different rabbis/couples.  So, your best bet is to check with your rabbi and see what he requires.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To answer your question, yes, it is traditional for the bride to wear a blusher veil, and if you have a Bedeken ceremony, the groom is the one who places it on your face before walking down the aisle.  But you don't have to wear a blusher or have a Bedeken for it to be a fully legitimate Jewish wedding ceremony.  What's important is what is meaningful to you and to your groom.

Have you read The New Jewish Wedding by Anita Diamant?  It's excellent.  It's very detailed about the different traditions, different viewpoints from various movements, and she has a lot of suggestions on how to make the traditions your own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS- it's nice to meet a fellow South Floridian on this board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm having a Bedeken, but I'm not sure when the veil is lifted? My Rabbi is really not specific about it, what did you ladies do?

TTC the journey begins October 2011 image
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure I've never seen a bride cover her face with a veil at any reform ceremony I've attended. I've never attended a conservative ceremony so no thoughts there. Personally I find the idea of covering my face really disturbing and would never do it. But I know there are others on this board who find meaning in the ritual.
  • Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't tell you exactly when my veil was lifted, but, it was pretty close to the end of the ceremony.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My veil wasnt lifted permanately till I kissed DH at the end of the ceremony.  Our ceremony was reform (because I'm Jewish and DH is not), but it had all the religious aspects of a Conservative one.  My family is conservative and I was told by my mother I was wearing a blusher.  No big deal.  It really doesnt bug ya cept when you have to take the sips of wine, which my dad had to help lift it for me.  It was kinda nice to wear one (and no, we didnt have a bedeken, I just put it on).  It is all based on personal preference.  Speak with the Rabbi and see if he can offer you any advice on the situation, or speak with family members.  They might give you some insight!
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I grew up Conservative, but FI is Reform (though is father was raised Orthodox).  We're using a reform Cantor to officiate the ceremony and he said it's not required that I wear a veil that covers my face.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on your rabbi.  We intended to have blusher veils to cover our face.  However, on the day of, both of us forgot to put them down over our faces.  The rabbi didn't have an issue with it, one way or the other.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a Conservative wedding performed by a reform rabbi and yes, we had a bedeken and I wore a blusher. It was actually a very beautiful ceremony and it was very spiritual. I was using my sister's 1 piece veil and just had my seamstress attach a blusher to the front via velcro. Let me know if you'd like some pics.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I had a Conservative ceremony and wore a two-tier veil and wore the blusher over my face as I walked down the aisle with my parents, then my husband-to-be lifted it off my face just before the ceremony started.  Here are some pics:

I wore a tiara for the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards