June 2012 Weddings

Thank You gift for parents

I really want to get something nice for both our parents because they are helping a lot with the wedding. 

What is everyone doing?
So far I have planned on getting handkerchiefs embroidered, will get a book of photo's made after the wedding and have thought of maybe paying for a night at a B&B for them to use.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thank You gift for parents

• I have no idea, actually. That sounds really nice.

Is this required? I only ask, because my Mom is basically my only parent, my "father" is invited as a technicality. We'd like to get my Mom and his parents a gift, but my "father" hasn't given me a gift for anything in years.  Or really talked to me. So....yeah anyone know the etiquette?
  • We bought our dads engraved mongramed pocket watches and cuff links, our moms got silver jewelry boxes with a really beautiful saying on them, earrings and we are paying for their dresses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bejohnson5Bejohnson5 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_thank-gift-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:4035f36e-1869-42b0-8ef7-47cd0c123f9aPost:a1d88b9d-08e9-4977-b1e7-16f15aafdf29">Re: Thank You gift for parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have no idea, actually. That sounds really nice.   Is this required? I only ask, because my Mom is basically my only parent, my "father" is invited as a technicality. We'd like to get my Mom and his parents a gift, but my "father" hasn't given me a gift for anything in years.  Or really talked to me. So....yeah anyone know the etiquette?
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I think the "thank you" is meant for those who are helping pay for/plan your wedding. I'd say if your mom and FI's parents have been there for you, definitely get them a gift but don't worry about your dad. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_thank-gift-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:4035f36e-1869-42b0-8ef7-47cd0c123f9aPost:74488113-38e0-46ca-b16a-f6bc2af25cdf">Re: Thank You gift for parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank You gift for parents : I think the "thank you" is meant for those who are helping pay for/plan your wedding. I'd say if your mom and FI's parents have been there for you, definitely get them a gift but don't worry about your dad. 
    Posted by Bejohnson5[/QUOTE]
    agree w/ this completly
  • Ok thanks, I just didn't want to breach anything :P But seriously it's ridiculous.  I texted me (that's right) about the guest list saying X cousin's wedding list "plus whomever I might be dating at the time."  Ugh he is the worst.
  • We will give them some pictures from the wedding in a nice album. I think they would be upset if we bought them something kind of expensive. Plus, it is something they will really enjoy.
  • Mine will be getting an album of all the pictures after the fact.

My FI's mom is helping a lot and his parents are doing the RD with his dad BBQing for everyone.  They will get an album after the fact and maybe an embroidered handkerchief the morning of. 
  • We are getting pearl necklaces for our moms and cuff links for our dads. We are also thinking about getting an etching done of their homes on marble.
  • We are giving our parents the same thing as the bridal party plus a photo album and possibly something else.  For the girls I got them all a stationary set and bag and will get their favorite drink to put in it, when I was showing them to my mom and FMIL they both thought they were awesome so I figured I'd get them those as well to along with what else we do for them.

Meg I wouldn't worry about it, he hasn't been there, for the wedding planning or otherwise, and therefore in my mind you shouldn't worry about getting him anything.
  • We're giving my parents concert tickets and a GC to dinner, as well as cufflinks for my dad the "i loved her first" ones all over pinterest and something else small for my mom.

His parents will get a card. Maybe small things like my parents are getting in addition to the big gift.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We got our dads cufflinks with their last name initial engraved on them and a mulitool with their names engraved on them. For the moms we got them tote bags with their initials monogramed on them and a compact mirror with their names engraved on them. We have 3 sets of parents since my parents are divorced and remarried. So I wanted to do something that wasn't going to break the bank and that they all would actually use. I have been in many weddings and the gifts that I have gotten I liked but really weren't something that I would get any use out of.
  • For those of you who are getting an embroidered hankerchief, where are you getting them from? I would like to do that for our moms, but not sure where to start to look.

TIA

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_thank-gift-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:4035f36e-1869-42b0-8ef7-47cd0c123f9aPost:02d41cc9-3185-4e2a-ad32-bf61e7b1d051">Re: Thank You gift for parents</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those of you who are getting an embroidered hankerchief, where are you getting them from? I would like to do that for our moms, but not sure where to start to look. TIA
    Posted by KrisKenny[/QUOTE]

I'll likely get mine from Etsy.
  • edited January 2012
    Felicia's Fancy has one's with sayings or will fully customize for a great price!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards