June 2012 Weddings

Are you actually going to get your dress cleaned?

I'm interested to know how many people are actually goingto get their dress cleaned after the wedding. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, for something that will never be worn out again

Re: Are you actually going to get your dress cleaned?

• Yes. My ceremony and reception are outside in the grass, so it will need to be cleaned. I will not be getting it preserved though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I heard from a May bride last weekend that her dress cost $600 to clean!  Not sure if I can do that right after the wedding.
  • I heard from a May bride last weekend that her dress cost $600 to clean!  Not sure if I can do that right after the wedding.
  • depends on how much it costs to get it cleaned... if its $600 HELL NO!
  • I just got married on Saturday and plan to have my dress cleaned.  The bottom of my dress got dirty taking pics on downtown streets.   I am not going to preserve it, but want to try to get the dirt cleaned off. 
  • Majorly price dependent. And also how dirty it actually gets. I may resell mine, so there's a lot of factors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with PP - depends on the price.  I also want to resell mine so it will probably have to be cleaned at some point, I guess....

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Definitely. It may not be done this month but I'm definitely getting it cleaned
  • Yes it will be getting cleaned and preserved through DB. They offered a discount if we paid for the service when we bought the dress.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeap, getting mine cleaned and preserved.  I'm one of those dilusional brides that believes my daughter may want it some day. :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • To be honest I have no idea. That is something we will have to think about when we get back from our honeymoon. My one and only daughter is 12 years old and only an inch shorter than me so i know that she will be way to tall to where my dress when she grows up and gets married.
    Anniversary Cruise Ship - Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was just pondering this today.  I don't know if I want to perserve my gown. I was thinking about the charities that take used prom dresses and give them to girls who don't have the money for them.  I'm wondering if there is one for wedding dresses.
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am probably going to sell mine if I can because it was super expensive and I will never wear it again. If someone wants to buy it, I will definitely clean it.

If no one wants to buy it, I will probably donate it; in which case, the receiving institution usually cleans them.
    image Cheering on Xan921 & akcrrr (congrats!) DX with PCOS - 11/2012 **2000mg Metformin ** DH S/A = "ideal" ** HSG - All Clear In There! **Clomid Cycle next CD3**
  • I rinsed mine off in the tub several times after we finished the TTD to get the salt water and sand out of my dress. It looks really good considering everything I put it through. I think I want to make a Christmas tree skirt out of it, but I'm scared to take scissors to it. I am going to take it to a seamstress and get their opinion on the cleaning and how much it will cost to make it into a tree skirt.

• I'm going to have mine cleaned. I got a quote of $150 CDN from the place I bought the dress. I understand it's better not to wait too long because if there's stains it may be harder to remove later. I do plan on selling mine.
    Planning Bio Updated June 12/12 Lots of Wedding DIY Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will defiantly clean and preserve mine, if I don't my mother will be doing it for me! Both her, my grandmother and FMIL all have there dresses still, they would freak if I said I was going to sell it.. I think FI might have an issue as well
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom is going to get my dress cleaned but we won't be preserving it - it'll be nice to have it look nice whenever I want to bring it out to wear it around the house! haha!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi

I would recommend Imperial Gown Preservation out of Silver Spring, MD
    they are awesome in that they can clean and preserve the gown, they do a great job because they are the preferred cleaners for the Smithsonian Museums garments, and you can't get better than that!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards