June 2012 Weddings
Options

Ear Piercing

Hello Ladies,

I hope everyone is having a good friday. I had a wee question I wanted to share as I am both thinking about this/curious.

I have never had my ears pierced. I've never had any piercings actually, I do have 2 tattoos (and maybe a 3rd one in the next year or so) but for some reason earings have never appealed to me. I guess it is because my ears are tiny and my lobes are attacked, so I've always thought they would look weird. And I don't fancy having my ears stretch out anymore. But with our wedding coming up I'm kinda considering it as it could open up a whole new world of daily jewlery, and that might be exciting. 

How many of you have your ears pierced, or better yet does anyone else not have their ears pierced? And anything you feel like sharing about your wedding jewlery.

Re: Ear Piercing

• Options
    I have had mine pierced since I was little.

I think its a really personal decision. If you have your heart set on it for your wedding then go for it, if you dont really want to, there is no reason to do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have two holes in each ear and one ear I have my upper cartilage pierced.

I wanna say Jess (Midge) doesn't have her ears pierced.

You can always get some great clip on earings if you want to wear some jewelry. I wouldn't get your ears pierced for "one" day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My mom pierced my ears when I was 3 so I never had an option.  I like being able to wear earrings.  I only have 1 hole in each ear...never had any desire to get multiple holes in my ears.  I agree with Chelsea...it's a personal decision.  It may be a fun change for you, but if you think you may regret it, then don't do it.  Maybe you could try it, and if you didn't like it, then let them close up???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I actually have had quite a few piercing and my ears are one of them...  I got the lopes when I was little and never really wore earring because I am allergic to all kinds of metal.... got the second holes later on (which are still open but I NEVER used) its definiately a personal choice and I never wore earrings for a year and then decided one day that I wanted too and with luck my holes were still open after like 12 years!! haha but I can only wear them every so often due to my allergy.
  • Options
    That is kinda what I was thinking, if I hate it then I can get rid of them again. 

It's not so much that I just want to get it done for the wedding, it's that thinking about our wedding has made me think about the option of getting my ears pierced for my everyday life. Hopefully that makes sense. I think it's interesting that pierced ears are such a cultural norm.
  • Options
    I've had mine for a while. It's really not bad. My belly button piercing hurt way more lol
  • Options

I got my ears pierced when I was about 6.  I remember it hurting for a second and then it was fine. 

My grandma doesn't have her ears pierced but she has found a ton of earrings where you wouldn't even guess they were not pierced.  I think you could definitely fine wedding earrings that are for nonpierced ears, it will just take a little more searching.

• Options
    I got my first holes when I was 6, then another one (lobe) when I was 12 or 13, and about 6 months later, a second lobe hole on the other side and an upper ear (cartilage) piercing. That one got infected and it was sooo long before I could sleep on it, but I still like having it. I keep small gold, silver, or sparkly studs in my top three holes, and put dangly earrings in my bottom two holes when I'm dressing up. If you decide to try it, do it some time before the wedding, so that you can get used to it. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every girl in my family has had their ears pierced when they were a few months old.  So, I've had them my whole life.  My ears (one hole each) are the only piercings I have. 

I do like that there are plenty of options for jewelry, and I honestly feel incomplete or "naked" without earrings.

If you want to pierce your ears, just remember to give yourself enough time for them to heal before the wedding day so they are not bothersome.

Also, you can look into clip-ons, earrings for non-pierced ears.  There is a lot of variety there as well!
  • Options
    I've had my ears pierced since I was younger, but not until I BEGGED my mother to let me get them done. I like having the option of wearing different kinds of earings to go with my outfits.

My son actually has his ears pierced as well. I had them done when he was 6 months old. And yes, both ears. He has not worn them in a while, but just recently asked if I could get him a new pair for him to wear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • Options
    I got my ears pierced for my 10th birthday.  I loved wearing earrings and had a hard time finding clip-ons that I liked.  I don't remember it hurting much.  It was a pain to take care of them for a while.  I got a self-piercing kit in HS or college for a second hole in each ear.  I went through a time where I rarely wore earrings so those closed up.  It's really a personal decision on what's right for you.
  • Options
    I have not and will NEVER get my ears pierced. I hate needles and no matter what anyone says, to me, it would feel like I was putting a needle into my ear every day. I've made it 25 years without them, I never wear them and I'm not about to change that for one day of my life.

On the happiest day of my life, I'd prefer to look like myself. It's also why I'm not growing my hair out.
  • Options
    I got mine pierced when I was little but rarely wear earings because my ears are so sensitive that I can barely wear 14k gold without my ears swelling up and breaking out in a rash. So I will not be wearing any for the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never had my ears pierced. And like you I have a tatoo. Everyone thinks its weird because they think I am afraid of needles and yet I got a tatoo. I'm actually not afraid of needles. I just never really had the desire to get it done. When I was finally 14 and allowed to get them done, I was in sports (all of high school and college, too) that would require me to take out the earrings, thus no time to heal!

So that's my reasoning behind it. And I agreee with Midge. I thought about getting them pierced for my wedding, but I just feel like I wouldn't be "myself" with them. So keeping my ears unpierced is a good choice for me..for now :)

But of course, it's a personal choice. and EITHER WAY you will look amazing on your wedding day!
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ear-piercing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:501de1df-639d-4063-abe0-6755c07b92d5Post:0db985f0-2fef-4799-8653-b44ec16289e9">Re: Ear Piercing</a>:
    [QUOTE] Everyone thinks its weird because they think I am afraid of needles and yet I got a tatoo. I'm actually not afraid of needles. 
    Posted by AlliJae[/QUOTE]

<div>I AM actually terrified of needles. I cannot stand hospitals because I know there are lots of them around, and when I have been sick, I LOATHE IVs. I never get flu shots because they hurt so bad and I hate needles. The one time I got the Swine Flu vaccine was enough for me.</div><div>
    </div><div>Funny story: When I was in Grade 6, we had to get our hep B shots. A series of 3 throughout the year. During the first one I got really dizzy on the way back from the gym, that I ended up sitting in someone else's desk and passing out back in the classroom. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've gotten a lot better since then, mainly because I had to have a bunch of bloodtests in uni when I turned yellow one year. It's just ones in the arm that I hate now, and looking at them in general. And dentist needles because they hurt ALOT.</div><div>
    </div><div>However tattoos don't bother me at all. I can watch them getting done (I was worried about this being the issue and so I got my first on my back) and I don't feel dizzy. For my last one I watched him doing it on my arm. I don't even consider them anywhere close to the same feeling and people bug me about this because they know how much I hate needles. </div>
  • Options
    Mine are pierced. I've had them pierced since I was really little - 2 maybe? My mom and I were at the mall with my aunt and my aunt was actually the one who convinced me to get them. My mom told me that no matter what, if I had one done, I had to have the other one done. I wasn NOT a happy camper after that first one. haha

In 7th grade I got a second whole with one of my best friends. I wore it for a couple of years, but it's just not really my style. I'm pretty sure if I wanted to wear earrings in those holes I could, but I haven't tried in years.

On a similar note to Jess. My mom had two piercings in her ears and she was adament (one of two things she actually cared about in wedding planning) that she wore earrings in both those holes every day and she was wearing them in both holes on her wedding day.
  • Options
    Mine are technically pierced, but the holes are closed up. I've actually gotten my ears re-pierced twice, but each time, it would hurt too much putting in earrings. It never didn't hurt. Now I have completely given up on the idea.

Oddly, though, my belly ring has never caused me any problems. I love it, even though I never wear anything that shows it.
  • Options
    I have 3 in each ear, they look a bit funny though cause i got them done at different times & the person didn't know what they were doing & put them too close. I want a 4th. 

My ears grew in from when i was a kid, they got infected. I went in a couple years ago deciding i wanted my ears pierced again, one day i was going to put an earring into the hole & it repierced the original hole (i was wondering why it was burning so much) so then i went back & got the other side redone (they usually dont do same hole). 

I love the different costume jewelry, i could never achieve the same if earrings were fake. 

My best friend & MOH does not have her ears pierced, i will NOT make her wear fake earrings just for the sake of pictures, she is who she is & i am not going to change that. 

Do not do it now if that is the only reason you want it, they will always be there even if they grow in. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ear-piercing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:501de1df-639d-4063-abe0-6755c07b92d5Post:176d6a95-cd6f-4408-a322-2d54c8907ad4">Re: Ear Piercing</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I have two holes in each ear and one ear I have my upper cartilage pierced</strong>. I wanna say Jess (Midge) doesn't have her ears pierced. You can always get some great clip on earings if you want to wear some jewelry. I wouldn't get your ears pierced for "one" day.
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]

<div>Same with me, exactly!</div>
    imageimage
  • Options
    My Mom took me to have mine done when I was 3 years old so I didn't really have a say in it. I remember afterwards I was able to pick out a reward for being so good and I picked out a Monkees poster. (I used to LOVE watching The MOnkees with my mom when I was little!)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ear-piercing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:501de1df-639d-4063-abe0-6755c07b92d5Post:ee1a2b33-c844-4028-9cfb-34d7e2905c2c">Re: Ear Piercing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got mine pierced when I was little but rarely wear earings because my ears are so sensitive that I can barely wear 14k gold without my ears swelling up and breaking out in a rash. So I will not be wearing any for the wedding.
    Posted by gregamywedding[/QUOTE]

Did you know that 14K gold legally is allowed to be mixed with a certain percentage of base metals (nickel, brass, etc.) So if you have metal allergies it isn't always safe. Over time, my ears would get irritated and the posts of my yellow gold earrings would turn brown - that was the reason why. I've had better success with white 14K gold - maybe because they can't mix the same nasty metals with it as it would affect the color. Maybe that would work for you? If not you could try 24K gold or platinum. Oh and gold plated is not good either. After a while the base metal seeps through the plating.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ear-piercing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:501de1df-639d-4063-abe0-6755c07b92d5Post:e164b808-c46e-441f-8ea2-4ad2e2615412">Ear Piercing</a>:
    [QUOTE] But with our wedding coming up I'm kinda considering it as it could open up a whole new world of daily jewlery, and that might be exciting.  How many of you have your ears pierced, or better yet does anyone else not have their ears pierced? And anything you feel like sharing about your wedding jewlery.
    Posted by robynsch[/QUOTE]

I was 13 when I got my ears pierced. It hurt like hell and took about a month to heal. I don't usually wear earrings on a daily basis, just when I go out or for special occasions, and it is nice to glam things up a bit. I'm still trying to figure out earrings for the wedding because I'm sensitive to anything other than gold or platinum, so most fancy wedding earrings out there I can't wear. At the bridal shop, they gave me a pair of clip ons to try and goodness they hurt worse than getting my ears pierced!! It was so terrible my ear was red and throbbing for an hour - just from the horrible pressure of the clip.

So - for me the jury is still out. I may splurge on a pair of nice precious metal earrings, or go with a simple pair of studs that I already own. For you - I agree with PP that it is a personal choice, but you seem to want to do it not just for the wedding but for going forward. More power to you whatever you decide.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I got my first holes when I was in 4th grade.  Then 2nd & 3rd (still in the lobe) when I was 16.  Then 2 in cartilage when I turned 18.    I love them but the cartilage hurt a lot for the first year even. I wear tiny (2mm) silver balls in the 2nd, 3rd and cartilage and small hoops in the 1st everyday.  I'm looking for some tiny cubic zirconia or similar for the wedding.
    It's weird how culturally normal it is to poke holes in our heads and wear metal in them.
    I agree with some others.  If you want it go ahead but if its only for that day, I saw some great clip ons at macy's.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I got my ears pierced when I was 11. I have zero pain tolerance and I didn't think it hurt. It did burn a little afterward, but I don't remember it hurting at all when they actually did it.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards