June 2012 Weddings

Engagement Ring Cleaning

I am up SUPER early!

After watching some helpful videos online, I cleaned my ring by soaking it in soapy water and gently scrubbing it with a new tooth brush.  I buffed it with a microcloth [the one that came with my sunglasses] and it is amazingly sparkily.

Some sites suggested ammonia, which I didn't have and am scared to use on my ring.  Others suggested baking soda.

Do you clean your ring at home?  Are the jewelry cleaning kits worth it?
June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning

• Anytime I have to go to my jeweler they clean it for me but they also gave me a jar of the Connoisseurs cleaner.  It works really well but I leave it in longer than the 60 seconds they recommend...more like 5 mins and it comes out lovely!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have one of the sonic cleaning machines. I was a bit afraid the first time I used it because I have a micropave band but all the diamonds stay secure and it comes out very sparkly!
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My ring gets very dirty (I work on a machine shop floor in the shipping department) so I will just clean it with dish detergent and a toothbrush and it comes right. Ack to being all pretty and sparkly. I also go every six months and get it checked and cleaned by the jeweler.
  • I got some cleaner from Zales. It's a little tube with gel in it, and the top has a wand attached (kind of like a tube of mascara). I think it works really well, and it wasn't expensive at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
    image 167 Made the list
    image 115 Accept
    image 46 Decline
    image 6 Not ready to decide
    RSVP deadline: June 8
  • My FI would kill me if i cleaned it on my own. I just get it cleaned whenever i'm near our jeweler
    June 16, 2012
  • I have a jar of Connoisseurs cleaner that I use every so often on mine, but I have to take it in to be cleaned and checked. 
    AnniversaryBabyFruit Ticker
  • I would be afraid of ammonia too!! My jeweler gave me a jar of cleaner and it came with a little brush to scrub it with. Then I rinse it with cold water, and dry it with a lint-free (sunglasses) cloth. It works great! I also have a sonic machine (GemOro Pro or something like that), but I haven't used it yet b/c I haven't actually bought the cleaning solution for it. Before I got the cleaner from my jeweler I used dish soap and water, soaked it for a couple minutes, rinsed it with cold water, and dryed it with the sunglasses cloth. That also worked well. I prefer the cleaner that my jeweler gave me though. I need to get it professionally cleaned and inspected at the jewelers though.
  • We have a lifetime warrenty on my ring so every 6 months I have to take it in to be inspected and they clean it for me. 

But I remember growing up my mom had a little jar of jewelry cleaning solutions that she would drop things in over night.  I don't know what it was called but it was a red jar.
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge: Invitations
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Planning Updated 02.08.12
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 134 Invited!
    image 94 Are making the trek South
    image 39 Won't be able to make it
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I haven't wanted to risk cleaning it at home. I've had it cleaned once at the jeweler's, and when we go back in January I'm going to ask her what I should clean it with at home. Mine's still very sparkly, the only thing is the bottom of the ring that faces my palm feels a bit rough, but that's probably normal.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_engagement-ring-cleaning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5dda04b8-b1cf-4ca8-9a11-237888909d47Post:3efba283-b387-4f36-8b40-b3eebb4afd96">Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one of the sonic cleaning machines. I was a bit afraid the first time I used it because I have a micropave band but all the diamonds stay secure and it comes out very sparkly!
    Posted by diamondx423[/QUOTE]
    Can I ask how much that was?<div>
    </div><div>There's no risk to cleaning it yourself if you're using hand soap and a soft brush.  I also used two shallow bowls with super hot water for soaking and then risking, so I didn't have to do anything with my ring close to the sink. </div>
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our jeweler is FI's aunt (he didn't know that when he first went looking at rings and just happened to like their selection).  Since we've been in there about 3-4 times in the last 2 months looking at wedding bands she cleaned my ring every time.  They also gave me a jar of cleaner for home but I haven't used it, I'd rather have them do it for me.
  • If you go to belk they will clean your ring for free
    Almost Mrs. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom worked in a really nice jewelry store while she was in college and they already told her the best way to clean your ring was with a toothbrush and liquid ivory soap for every day cleaning. You can't beat taking it to a jewelry store for a good cleaning every once in a while since they'll also buff your setting, but I love the liquid ivory for every day!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_engagement-ring-cleaning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5dda04b8-b1cf-4ca8-9a11-237888909d47Post:d8364157-c841-4655-9623-73fabf070b31">Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom worked in a really nice jewelry store while she was in college and they already told her the best way to clean your ring was with a toothbrush and liquid ivory soap for every day cleaning. You can't beat taking it to a jewelry store for a good cleaning every once in a while since they'll also buff your setting, but I love the liquid ivory for every day!
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]
    this is exactly what my jeweler said to do too and it works great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 309 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 125 Will be missing out!
    image 42 Are driving me crazy!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_engagement-ring-cleaning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5dda04b8-b1cf-4ca8-9a11-237888909d47Post:55319492-2ee2-46d4-baaa-ccd78435e86e">Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning : Can I ask how much that was? There's no risk to cleaning it yourself if you're using hand soap and a soft brush.  I also used two shallow bowls with super hot water for soaking and then risking, so I didn't have to do anything with my ring close to the sink. 
    Posted by nvelez28[/QUOTE]

I got it at bed bath and beyond, i think it was like $40 plus the 20% off coupon. The cleaner for it is kind of expensive though, but I just use a bb&b coupon for that too.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My jewelers gave me a solution to use for my ring when I want to clean it at home.
    imageimage
  • FI and I went to look at wedding bands yesterday at the jewelers where he got my ring and while we were there, they cleaned it for me. It is soooo sparkly, haha!
    Photobucket
  • Zales gave FI a cleaner but I haven't used it yet. I get it cleaned by them usually whenever I go to a Zales. I have to get it cleaned and inspected every 6 months for my lifetime warranty but I get it cleaned more than that
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_engagement-ring-cleaning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5dda04b8-b1cf-4ca8-9a11-237888909d47Post:dfc3eacb-8e5b-4238-9a3b-1572396afcf5">Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a lifetime warrenty on my ring so every 6 months I have to take it in to be inspected and they clean it for me.  Posted by browner3[/QUOTE]

This!!
    Kelsey and Andrew 6/23/12 216 image Invited
    0 image Are ready to party
    0 image Missing out
    190 image Making me wait (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 5/15/12
  • I'm too scared to take any risks with abrasive cleaning solutions! I'm just not sure what they might do to my setting. I have cleaned my ring by soaking it in warm water with dish soap, which does work nicely. A couple of days a week I plug the drain in my bathroom sink and run the diamond and the micro pave stones under hot water for a couple of seconds and it really helps it shine! It just a quick little clean up if i notice it looks a little dingy in the morning before I go to work! The jeweler steam cleans without chemicals, so hot water is the next best thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_engagement-ring-cleaning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5dda04b8-b1cf-4ca8-9a11-237888909d47Post:7c7b85bf-b24a-4696-93a1-643e39b8bd69">Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning</a>:
    [QUOTE]My jewelers gave me a solution to use for my ring when I want to clean it at home.
    Posted by Shanee18[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I've only used it once so far.</div>
  • I have the lifetime warranty and have to get it inspected every six month but I usually take it in once a month or so to have it cleaned. I never take my ring off - I do dishes, shower, etc with it on so I like to take it and have it cleaned by my jeweler.
    Anniversary Cruise Ship - Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I use a little red tube of jewelry cleaner that has a soft brush in the cap. Less than $5 in the jewelry section at WalMart. Makes it sparkle just like the day I got it.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Diamond dazzle stik!! Super cheap and NOTHING makes my ring shine like when I got it than that....! You can buy it off of Amazon
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• I use a toothbrush and windex whenever I feel like its looking a little dirty, and it works like a charm, it makes it super sparkly! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a sonicator at work so I just stick it in there with some water.  It always comes out really shiny. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_engagement-ring-cleaning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:5dda04b8-b1cf-4ca8-9a11-237888909d47Post:d8364157-c841-4655-9623-73fabf070b31">Re: Engagement Ring Cleaning</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom worked in a really nice jewelry store while she was in college and they already told her the best way to clean your ring was with a toothbrush and liquid ivory soap for every day cleaning. You can't beat taking it to a jewelry store for a good cleaning every once in a while since they'll also buff your setting, but I love the liquid ivory for every day!
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

ha ha Kelsey! My mom too! and she said the exact same thing. I use hot soapy water :)
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Windex = amonia

Obviously, there is some other stuff in Windex, but it's totally safe. 

I switch between a few things, depending on how much time I have:
    sonic cleaner
    Jewelry cleaner (fastest)
    Steam cleaner (once in a while)

My jeweler will clean it whenever I want and they use a few shots of steam and some sort of cleaner.

EDIT: I'm really surprised that some don't clean their ring!  I clean mine every week...sometimes more often.
  • I've only had mine for 6 weeks so I haven't cleaned it yet.  FI said it was insured so I'll get it cleaned when we look for bands.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards