June 2012 Weddings

Please tell me I am not the only one!!

So I am getting married June 2, 2012 and I realize that it is a long way off, I don't need people reminding me that it is!!!
I have a differnt situation with my wedding; my fiance will be depoyed for a few months and then he moves back up to school (2 hours away) as soon as he gets back and this coming summer he has to live 3 hours away to do an internship, we are trying to plan things out that we need to get done first and are just making some lists, we have to plan or wedding out in shifts it seems like, a weekend there...a weekend here.
If I even speak of my wedding I get the "well you have a long time" talk from almost everyone!!! It makes me so mad, I want to look at the person and go "yeah, duh I know...don't remind me!!" I am enjoying the long engagement so I am not stressing, but I would like to plan a few things...but with this attitude from these people it makes me not want to. I am to the point where I don't want to talk about my wedding to other people. Grr I just needed to vent and get it out of my system!!!
December 17, 2011 The Future Mrs. Gaines Wedding Countdown Ticker ExerciseMilestone

Re: Please tell me I am not the only one!!

• No you are not the only one! My date is June 2 2012 as well!!!!!! My situation is a little different then yours obviously! My FI and I are already living together, but this is after a year apart last year living 6 hours away from each other.

We got engaged in July and found our venue, which determined the date. I wasnt really planning on a long engagement, but I thought that it would be good for us to plan as well as save for it. The catch is that I am currently unemployed (just finished my Master's in June). So i want to get alot of the planning done before I get a job which i know will be really time consuming.  Everyone seems so surprised and keeps telling me that we should be having the wedding next June. Its starting to drive me nuts! Yes i will have a lot of planning done by then but I will also have a full time engineering job hopefully soon and I like to be really organized about stuff. So what is the problem if i want to start now?! Also vendors will still have my date available and I can lock in prices now before they raise them at least once more if not TWICE before I would book them if i was having a "normal" engagement!

I feel like I am being practical about this and am totally not stressed at all! So why is everyone surprised? Grrrr
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 139 Invited so far!
    image 79 Are ready to party!
    image 60 Will be missing out!
  • I am with both of you ladies. I get snide remarks all the time about doing it next June or July. I hate having to keep telling the reasons why FI and I are waiting (my job, groomsmen deployments, saving $$, etc). People should just be happy for us, right?!!?! Smile, it will get better, I hope :)

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Sprtychick10- How many of your groomsmen are deployed? Just curious cause the Best Man is going through TBS right now and we have NO IDEA where he will be then. Also FI's sister is in the Navy (did ROTC in college) and will be either getting out right before the wedding (like May 2012) or if they give her a good enough deal she will be staying in. So have no idea about that one yet either! I really hope both of them can make it!

Its so werid for me cause my fam is not military at all and even though his really isnt there are a couple of people that are. So no idea how that is going to work out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 139 Invited so far!
    image 79 Are ready to party!
    image 60 Will be missing out!
  • cfblechman 3 of 4 will be deployed...my brother is in the Army and he will be gone May 2011, FI's best man and room mate from college is a Marine and will be gone November 2011-May 2012 (cutting it close!) and not 100% sure when the thrid will be gone.

We are just praying and keeping our fingers crossed at this point that all will be home in time.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2010

A lot of people tell me that I need to slow down.  But, I try not to let it bother me because if they were in my position they would probably be doing the same thing.  We don't even have a date set yet and that probably seems weird to some people, but I really don't care.

ETA: I won't be done with school until May 2012 so thats another reason while were waiting.

• ohh my gosh im getting married june 2nd 2012 as well!! i get those remarks from absolutely EVERYONE...its so annoying!! my fiancee and i are both in college, i am in a fast track LPN program so i will be done in january of 2011, but he wont be done with school (football coach) until may of 2012 so thats why we have to wait!!  so we get the "being too young" comments on top of those, and his mom reeeaaalllllly wants us to wait :l which is very frustrating. it seems like its so far away, but once i started planning and looking at stuff its starting to move a little faster, and now i cant stop looking lol. you just have to ignore the comments and keep your head up...its your wedding, you can start planning when you want to!!

• OMG!  I am getting married on 6/2/2012 as well lol My situation is different too. We just want to enjoy our engagement and not stress about things. It also gives us plenty of time to save some $$$ because we all know weddigs can be very expensive. I get those comments too "Why until 2012? bla bla bla I get very annoyed and frustruated as well but hey we are doing whatever makes us happy :) So I say do what you want because at the end of the day Its your day! Laughing
  • I'm getting married on June 9, 2012, and my three sisters are the bridesmaids.  They keep saying the same kind of things - you have plenty of time - but they all live at least 2 hours south of my hometown, which I live two hours north of during school.  I'm trying to do things like get ideas for bridesmaid dresses, which I really want their input on, and I'm terrible at visualizing things, so I need them there to help choose.  One of them even lives in North Carolina, so she might only be here once before the wedding!
    Between trying to get the three of them together, my indecisiveness, and studying for school/working, I need the time!
  • I’ am also getting married on 6/2/2012,Innocent were waiting till we are both done with school. I’ll be done in August 2011 and he will be done May 2011. On top of that we have 5 weddings in 2011 and we are in two of them and one of them is in Poland!  We are going to be so broke.  Plus we have to attend each one of these wedding sense they are all for close family!!! We’ve had to turn down 3 weddings for are close friends.

Is anyone else having a hard time with there in laws or is it just me? My sister in law hates all my ideas and wants to plan our wedding her way, she won’t listen to anything I have to say!  I said our wedding our way our budget! She does not get it.

• jaimelynw- sorry your inlaws aren't being supportive. I would kindly tell her, this is your wedding, you are sorry she doesn't like your ideas but this is what you want. Maybe she is jealous??

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am SO SO SICK of hearing that too. Its like when you go to vendors and they ask when the date is they are like "oh you have time". Listen i used to do event planning for a few years. I know what I'm doing, I know what I want and who cares if its 18 months (give or take) too early. They should be happy they are getting my business! Even my family is the same way! Its so aggravating! Just be happy for me! Being an accountant I cant plan during busy seasons and I want to get 2010 pricing because prices go up. Im starting to hate people!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh my Gosh. I know what you’re talking about. I started to book things and my lovely in-laws do not get it!!! UGH, they ask me “why are you planning things now” Well, I have the money now, and I have 5 weddings next year!!!!  Like you my LI friend~ I want the 2010 prices. Plus I don’t want to be overly stressed around our wedding. Every time I try to talk about our wedding to my fiancées family, they change the subject. They pushed us to get engaged!!! After a year of dating; but we waited 3 ½ years.  They always asked us when we are going to get married. Now here we are getting married and it’s if like they could careless, the only time they have something to say is when it’s about our planning!!! I hope this makes sense.
  • I'm so jealous that most of ya'll already have a date.  We can't book our venue until a year out, so for now were just enjoying the engagement and contacting vendors. 
  • All I have to say is if another person tell me that I have enough time I am going to scream!!! YES i know that I have time, YES we don't need to make a decision right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH My fiance is deployed right now and when he gets back we will have only 1 year and 5 months so...17 months and then he goes up to school, I know that we are enjoying our engagement...but sometimes it does not even feel like we are engaged.....I mean we literally do nothing for the wedding.........I want to do at least something. BLAH!
    Oh and I can sympathize with the in laws. My finace's brother got married about 4 months ago and his wife is so snotty about all of my planning...she just does these little comments. And (I know this is so small and really should not matter) I wanted to wear red converse sneakers to the reception and I was going to buy flip flops for my bridesmaids.....well she went out and bought red rhinestone converse sneakers for HER to wear , after I told her my idea. she just keeps trying to put me down and then make herself shine...I am trying to be nice but it is getting to the point where I don't even want to be around her anymore.
    December 17, 2011 The Future Mrs. Gaines Wedding Countdown Ticker ExerciseMilestone
  • I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one either!  Every time I call a venue to get info I'm told to call back after the holidays!!!  FINE!!!  So I'm just going to keep looking and writing down all my ideas and come Jan it's ON!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2010

I get the same reaction all the time. Thankfully I have booked my venue and church. Everyone else has given us strange looks and comments. It is so annoying! I think I'm going to wait until after March to continue booking other aspects of the wedding. When are you girls  starting the planning details?

June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are going to start the whole calling people in March; that is 1 year and 3 months until the wedding. My fiance will be on spring break, so what better way to spend your spring break than calling wedding vendors! Ha ha! Oh well he is a pretty good sport!
  • so glad I am not the only one. Everyday it gets more and more frustrating. My fiance's friends joke that "our wedding is like 6 years away but Jaclyn is done planning it". I'm just smart...I did the event planning thing for 3 years...I refuseeee to wait until a year out and then get told I can't get a vendor bc they are booked. I love the vendors that don't get back to you right away or say "oh you have time don't worry"...so frustrating!! I don't care if I'm a 2012 bride I deserve the same treatment as a bride who's wedding is in 2011 or 2010. SO ridiculous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AMEN!!! We do deserve the same respect...we are the source of their income....if they don't want our business then I will look someplace else
  • edited November 2010

I tried to call a Flower shop the other day to get an idea of prices, and she told me" hunnie it’s a little too soon for me to be helping you" I told her I just wanted an idea of how much were looking at here. I already have an idea on the flowers were using and I’m only having four girls. She told me to call back 6 months before I get married!!!!! How can I figure out what our budget will be if no one will help us!!! Because it a 1yr and 6 months out!!! How can you set a budget if no one will tell you how much things are? It’s like I’ve been married before!!!!

• We are getting married June 9, 2012.  After he proposed, my parents asked us to wait a little for both us and them to have some time to save up.  Plus, it will be six years from the day we met. :)

I have been hearing it from other family, friends, coworkers...a complete stranger... "Isn't that awfully far away?" "Isn't it too soon to be planning?" blah blah blah blah!! I'm over it!  I just reply that we are thoroughly enjoying our engagement and the relaxed planning.

Besides, when I began inquiring with vendors back in May to start getting a feel for cost, some of them were already booked for all of June 2012! The church let us reserve the date right away and that is the most important one to me.

Additionally, we live in Georgia and will be getting married in New Jersey.  I don't know how we'd be able to balance several trips for planning, our work schedules and our budget if we did not have this time!  --On that note, we're heading up there next week to look reception venues!!
  • I am getting married on June 8,2012. We are waiting till I finish school in May 2012 so I can find up a job up where he is going to school and get moved up there. I would love to get married earlier, but financially we are not ready. I haven't even started planning yet but I already have a lot of ideas in mind. I'm looking forward to getting started and I'm definitely looking forward to spending the rest of my life with him!
  • You think we're all getting the "that's a long way off" comments, when we were looking at one of the reception venues on Monday, the woman told us a girl was in earlier that day trying to book for 2014!!! 

Now THAT is a long way off! Tongue out

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_please-tell-am-not-only-one?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:75743f68-4080-4359-9fda-ec9fc567ea1dPost:14a823cb-c4f1-433e-9818-1c0a9be9f290">Re: Please tell me I am not the only one!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am with both of you ladies. I get snide remarks all the time about doing it next June or July. I hate having to keep telling the reasons why FI and I are waiting (my job, groomsmen deployments, saving $$, etc). People should just be happy for us, right?!!?! Smile, it will get better, I hope :)
    Posted by sprtychick10[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Hi ladies! I was just looking around on this month - I'm getting married in April of 2012 and I'm going to tell you these snide remarks NEVER stop.  FINALLY, because I am a year and four months people are slowly starting to ask me where it is and I don't hear as much of "oh well you have so much ways away" ..I remember someone said (when we were two years and four months from our wedding) to me "Why would you even be engaged? It's so long away!"  I was SO appalled and ANGRY.  

My whole thing now is obviously ALL of us are pretty big planners and we all have our reasons for having a long engagement but we sure should not have to ANSWER to anyone.  People love putting in their two cents and they should most definitely be happy for us.  I bought my dress, booked the date, place and photography and now I'm ready to start with other things.  Look at it this way - when other brides are pulling their hair out close to their weddings, we will be relaxing at the spa because we were smart about our engagement....Sorry just had to VENT - this has been BOTHERING me FOREVER. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards