Washington-Seattle
Options

Officially annoyed...(rant)

....at everyone that says we shouldn't complain about the heat.  I am from here so I am not used to these temperatures.  I know that those that live in warmer areas see the heat rise to well over 100, but I purposefully do not live in those areas.  And yes, I do understand that not everyone in hotter regions has an air conditioner, but more people do there then here.  No, I do not complain about the cold as well and am never happy with the weather.  I spent many winters in Eastern Washington and Idaho where the it got well below freezing with the wind chill, and even spent one winter with snow on the ground from October till May, so anything we get here in Seattle really isn't that bad.  I also do not complain about the rain--I love the rain, I would especially love for it to come back.Sorry for the rant, I just have some friends that live in California that have been really rude to me, as well as a few other random people.  I am just sick of people saying Seattlelites are never happy with the weather--I'm from here and as long as its not 108 I'm happy as a clam.

Re: Officially annoyed...(rant)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel! I may have been born in Tennessee but I left there over 22 years ago. I lived in the same house for 20 of those years. I have been complaining,listening to customers complain about it for the last week. They all come in the store telling me how lucky I am to be inside where its air conditioned. I just tell them that I have been in here so long it is actually hotter inside for me than outside.I really hate anything over 90. Plus my body just doesn't function well in extreme heat. I'm hoping it cools down before my wedding in just over 2 weeks so I don't fry and my guests don't pass out.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    umm..ditto. my brother lives in nevada..and when i have been talking about the heat..he's all like "welcome to my world two months out of the year"....well...he has a/c. so does every public building in nevada. i choose not to live there (or in CA closer to FI's family) because of the stinkin' heat. i like seattle. no..i LOVE seattle. i love the gray days. i love slight drizzle. i like how green and fresh everything smells after it rains. i like being able to see the blue sky with out a haze of gray. oh and that snowstorm?? i  wished everyday of the snowstorm i could be back home in seattle. but no, i was stuck in CA with FI's family. i love seattle, i love seattle weather. this is not seattle weather. thanks for letting me mini-vent too :)
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *the haze of gray being smog
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh - I agree wholeheartedly! We have record setting heat and everyone tells us we have no right to complain? Excuse me, but our area is not equipped to deal with it (just like it wasn't properly equipped for snow) because it is record-setting abnormal! I grew up on the Oregon coast - and I don't make fun of people who get in car accidents because they aren't familiar with back country/woodsy roads (although I do mock them for at least not using their brain and driving slowly in unknown situations). Nor do I mock people who didn't grow up learning about things like riptides, sneaker waves, how fast the tide can trap you when you're tide pool hunting, etc. You have a right to complain when things extremely outside the norm hit your area and your area is not equipped to deal with it.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all PPs. FI and I have just about had it. I'm tired of taking cold showers 3 times a day just to not feel overheated (once in the am, then once when we get home, and another before bed), and I'm tired of not getting comfortable sleep until 4am. I'm tired of hearing the hum of fans on high, and I'm tired of the house being hotter than it is outside. I'm tired of sweating all night long, and I'm tired of not being able to cook in my house. People need to shut up and know that it's NOT NORMAL for us. OY!/rant
    greenbaby
    BFP 1/22/12 | Ectopic pregnancy found 2/14/12 | Methotrexate to complete m/c 2/15/12 imageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Right there with you! I hate it when people are like "So what if you've got 6 inches of snow, we get XX feet back in blah-blah-blah" and then they're like this with the heat too. Here's the thing for all the bastards telling me to not complain: my family has moved A LOT so I've lived in places that are way hotter and way colder, so I know what I'm missing out on by living here - this heat wave is one of the things I'm trying to miss! In places that expect this heat like Florida or Thailand, they have A/C. Plus, people are acclimated to the weather. FI is from Spokane and he knows that while to his family it sounds ridiculous that even 4 inches of snow will shut down this city, it's because we aren't prepared for it like places that get regularly dumped on. Not to mention our hilly streets. So for the people who say "Don't complain" I say "STFU!" Sorry, that's my rant too. Pet peeve of mine that I've been venting to FI the past couple days.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Urgh. I am so there with you! I have a friend from Michigan and she does the same thing. When it snow she is like "well in Michigan we get x snow" and now with the weather she's always talking about how much worse the summers are there! I am not complaining just because i don't want to hear it. We don't have AC here and when it snows we have a billion hills we have to drive on. So annoyed.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What people don't understand about Seattle snow is that we get some snow then it melts freezes and then snows on top of that. SO you get that nice layer of ice under it all. Plus its wet snow not dry so its heavy and creates other issues. Like the winter of 97 where my family lost 2 of the buildings on our property due to the amount of ice and snow.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    MiniStephMiniSteph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree! A lot of us don't have A/C in Seattle. And it didn't help that at my work, the A/C wasn't working. Boo! It is ridiculous that it's so much hotter inside than outside. I had to go to the emergency room (nothing horrible) this morning and it was nicer there than my house. Is it sad that I tried to stay there as long as possible?
    Photobucket
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Stephanie  Castiglione's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the posts, I just got home from work and got a chance to sit down.  I definitely feel much better now, especially since it is a lot cooler, and I am soooo glad that it is!  Yay for decent sleep tonight!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards