June 2012 Weddings

Interesting requests from the groom?

Saw this thread on the Chit Chat board and thought we could have fun with this one ;) My FI's request was that the bridesmaids wear full length dresses. When I told him I was planning on having them in short dresses, he freaked and was very vocal that he wants them in long! I kept thinking, of all the wedding things, THIS is where you have an opinion? Lol. He doesn't really care about any other details.

Re: Interesting requests from the groom?

• My FI wanted good food, good alcohol, and real glassware, not plastic. I mean, I didn't want plastic either, but I thought it was a strange request coming from him, haha.
    Photobucket
  • edited February 2012
    Originally, my FI wanted the Friar mascot at the wedding (he was the Friar and went to a wedding in it) but I nixed the idea. Instead we compromised on having the ceremony at the college's chapel. Thank God. Here's a picture of the Friar for reference:

And FI says that picture is actually him in it from at least 4 years ago.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_interesting-requests-from-the-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ee454e05-f6c0-4ce7-baaf-48adc02f2675Post:e948aace-d681-4140-92c9-c26c4ff195be">Re: Interesting requests from the groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Originally, my FI wanted the Friar mascot at the wedding (he was the Friar and went to a wedding in it) but I nixed the idea. Instead we compromised on having the ceremony at the college's chapel. Thank God. Here's a picture of the Friar for reference:    And FI says that picture is actually him in it from at least 4 years ago.
    Posted by midgedenver[/QUOTE]

I just busted out laughing when I saw that pic! I'm so glad you got him to compromise!
  • When we first started talking about getting married, FI insisted we had to get married in a church.  This was really suprising, because neither of us are religious, but I figured if it was important to him we would do it.  Turns out he only wanted to get married somewhere that wasn't a VFW hall, which is where his brother & SIL got married, and figured that by demanding a church, we'd avoid that at all costs.

Honestly, I'd have been fine with a VFW hall, but only if I could decorate it.  His brother & SIL had originally planned an outdoor ceremony, but it rained that day and there were no plans to cover the walls or really decorate the space...
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • My FI is ridiculously picky about the invitations. I have to go into work early to try to print the addresses on the envelopes because handwriting won't match his "vision." we have an official wedding font and icon. Today we went to buy envelopes and which ones did he INSIST on? "Natural" brown that look like cardboard. I'm just keeping my mouth shut because he's actually taking care of all this stuff so it's one less thing that I have to do.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_interesting-requests-from-the-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ee454e05-f6c0-4ce7-baaf-48adc02f2675Post:75165bea-f592-4058-8f3b-3e49007e0c4a">Re: Interesting requests from the groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting requests from the groom? : I just busted out laughing when I saw that pic! I'm so glad you got him to compromise!
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

Me too! I can only imagine that thing walking in to the reception.
  • I LOVE this topic. I was surprised by my FI's demand for a tuxedo. He is SUPER casual and hates dressing up. I was planning on having all of the guys wear suits but FI freaked out because they aren't "special enough" hahaha I'm fine with tuxes just isn't like him
  • FI wanted a small wedding. We're at 142 right now but expecting 90-100.
  • I was all about a destination wedding.... FI really wanted a traditional wedding in the church.  It was somewhat surprising!
  • FI wanted all the BM dresses to be the same length. "no roller coaster"
  • FI wanted to make sure we had a sit-down dinner because he has heard the horror stories where the bride and groom never get to eat. He also wants fishing ties included in the boutineers and beer at the reception.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FI wanted to make sure we had a sit-down dinner because he has heard the horror stories where the bride and groom never get to eat. - Ash61612

My FI was the exact opposite and wanted a buffet because our venue makes sure we eat first! LOL!

His biggest deal was the no to the first look; he's very adamant that I would be taking away that moment when he saw me walking down the aisle. After debating and deliberating and compromising, we decided to nix the first look.
    Vacation White Knot
  • FI's only request was a summer wedding and an open bar. Easy enough!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI wanted his father to marry us. FFIL performed his brother's ceremony and it was sweet and very touching. FI also wanted a big wedding. His family is rather small and mine is huge. He loves the idea of a big huge family. He wanted to share the day with everyone. The last thing he wanted a say in was the honeymoon. Travel is a big part of our lives and he wanted to go somewhere "awesome" and "interesting,"
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • FI wants to wear a bowtie, he wants him and the GM in suits, he wants a buffet dinner (me too), a small wedding, and curling stone paperweights for our WP/parent gifts. The best one is probably that the end of May/early June were not an option, just in case the Sabres (magically) made the Stanley Cup finals. They don't even look like they'll make the playoffs, so we would have been fine haha.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • FI wanted all the bridesmaid in the same dress (he heard about the bridal party wearing different dress)
    He wanted me to wear a short dress so he could see my legs. ( I got a long dress with a split, he can still see my legs
    He also wanted a "fish fry " soul food reception. ( we will have a soul food dinner for our reception once we get back from Dominican Republic.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DrPB FI wanted to get married in a church too, and we aren't religious.  We are getting married outside because it's where our venue is so it's perfect and I want the pictures in the gardens.  FI didn't really care that much, but at first he made it seem like he did.
  • My FI has put in his opinions on everything except my attire.  He really cared about the DJ, photographer, venue and food.
  • FI wanted 5 groomsmen and no head table.  Easy enough...
  • FI hasnt requested that much.... he wanted to wear something that was comfortable and not too hot, he got his wish (beige suit with no vest, jacket will be removed after ceremony most likely) and he wanted it to be a small wedding,.... which didnt happen. We are at 370 guests. We both wanted it small, but we both are trying to embrace the big wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My FI hasn't had very many requests, other than our honeymoon location. He did not want to fly anywhere so we will be driving to the Poconos (and by that I mean I will be driving, LOL).

At first, FI did want to have a big BBQ wedding, but I talked him out of that after explaining all that goes into having on compared to a more traditional wedding. Costwise, it would have been pretty close to what we are at now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • This is a funny one for you---FI's only real request is that my MOH grows her hair out so it's at least longer than his!  She keeps her hair short and when she first gets it cut, it's almost like a buzz cut (you can see her scalp!)  I hope she lets it grow some.  She was saying the other day that she needs it cut.  I told her that if she gets it cut, she better do it soon so she'll have some hair at the wedding.  I love her like a sister, but don't want my guests that don't know her to ask if she has cancer!

FI even said that if she'll grow her hair out, he'll shave her head for her after the reception! LOL
  • Surprisingly, FI has requested white flowers for the centerpieces!  He made his request known the day before I had the appt with the florist and already had my vision, so I had to change the linens etc to incorporate white flowers.  Of all things, the flowers???  I'd have never imagined he'd had an opinion on that..cake, food, music, maybe, but flowers?!?!  LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI was very picky about the photographer but other than that, I usually just give him 3 options and he can pick from there! He was also adamant that we have a small wedding. He thought our 35 guest list was huge until I told him how many some of you girls are having!!

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Umm...yea.
    I have a very adament groom.

His requests:
    -Open bar
    -Black and white checkered dance floor
    -Band instead of a DJ
    -Groomsmen in tuxedos
    -His bourbon bar

He's also had opinions on everything else and helped decide on all of our vendors. I make a point to keep him involved and always ask what he thinks. We've actually had an "argument" because I felt like a lot of the time I felt like his "opinion" was what he thought I wanted it to be and not what he really thought.

FI also has a list of things to take care of:
    -Rings
    -Honeymoon
    -Band and all communications with them
    -Discussing food with our venue (he did GREAT!)
    -Hotel blocks
    -Groomsmen's tuxes and cummerbund sets
    -Figuring out the set up of his bourbon bar
    -Wedding Cake (I just can't care about it any more)
    -He actually had a lot of the initial conversations with our invitations people too
    -He'll be helping me with the seating chart too.
  • My FI hasn't really been adamant about much but he really wanted the sand ceremony instead of the unity candle. He likes the thought of us having black and white sand;)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_interesting-requests-from-the-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ee454e05-f6c0-4ce7-baaf-48adc02f2675Post:ace51ad0-13cb-42fd-9a11-2814284870c4">Re: Interesting requests from the groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI hasn't really been adamant about much but he really wanted the sand ceremony instead of the unity candle. He likes the thought of us having black and white sand;)
    Posted by Elizabeth80[/QUOTE]

haha!  I know about that!  So what FI said that instead of black and white sand (our colors are royal and light blue), I'll pour the dark sand and he'll pour the light.  He thinks it's so hilarious and can be our little inside joke ;)
  • FI was adament about having keg beer so he plans on ordering 6 kegs.  He isn't very good about staying on budget so his ideas are kind of shot down a lot.  For example, he wants to invite everyone that we know to the ceremony and meal.  At $15.00 a plate that would be very difficult...  He is getting a little frustrating, because he will have no opinion on some things and be extremely stubborn on others (and it usually costs us a fortune).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI is adamant about wearing a tux when his GM's are wearing a suit.  He said he wants to get dressed up for the occassion and look his best....who am I to complain? 

He also wanted a small wedding, but since we aren't paying for the reception, that got ruled out.  We are having a little over 200.

He wanted me to get a strapless dress.

And the one thing he wants complete say in no matter what is the song for our introduction into the reception.  He wants Korn. 

I can't say he has a lot of wants or needs.  He's very involved in the planning and process and gives his opinions, but we are on the same page with everything for the most part.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_interesting-requests-from-the-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:ee454e05-f6c0-4ce7-baaf-48adc02f2675Post:eaadb155-87d3-4aaa-89b2-3154b49653c7">Interesting requests from the groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Saw this thread on the Chit Chat board and thought we could have fun with this one ;) My FI's request was that the bridesmaids wear full length dresses. When I told him I was planning on having them in short dresses, he freaked and was very vocal that he wants them in long! I kept thinking, of all the wedding things, THIS is where you have an opinion? Lol. He doesn't really care about any other details.
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

SO funny you should write this. FI is pretty low key about most things, but he was adament about the girls NOT wearing long dresses! The girls are wearing dresses that are just about to their knees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Started dating: 10/25/05 My 21st birthday & our engagement: 3/13/10 The first day of the rest of our lives: 6/9/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards