June 2012 Weddings

Family wedding stories?

Over the last few days I've been thinking about the story of when my grandparents got married.  Grandma and Grandpa went to college together, graduated on Saturday, May 29 and got married Sunday, May 30!  Right before the wedding they had rented an apartment together, something pretty small but perfect for the two of them, and the landlord had just painted all of the walls a fresh white color.  My grandmother's brothers had offered to help move some of their things in while they were away on their honeymoon, so they were left in charge...big mistake.  When they got back from the honeymoon, they discovered that my great-uncles and their friends had dipped their shoes in black paint and "walked" all over the walls, with arrows and obscene jokes pointed toward the bedroom!  Grandma was still angry about it years and years later, haha.

Does anyone have any stories of family weddings that have been passed down, good or bad?
Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI

Re: Family wedding stories?

• edited April 2012
    My parents are divorced now, but my dad told me that my mom was 2 hours late for their ceremony...maybe he should'nt have waited Tongue Out just kidding.

And coincidence, while my parents were getting married, my future stepmother was in the hospital (same town) giving birth that same day!
  • Ummm. The only wedding stories I know from my mom and dad are bad lol. My grandma apparently told my dad before he married my mom not to marry her. When they got home from their honeymoon, she wouldn't even hug my mom. My dad told her "don't worry, I married you." To this day, my grandma still says my mom took her grandkids away from her (since we moved north). I'm glad she loves my FI so I don't have to hear any of this from her. She told FI that she wants all of her granddaughters to marry a guy like him. I guess my grandma also told my aunt (dad's sister) not to marry her husband on her wedding day too. Good stories haha
  • Don't really have any good wedding day stories but my Nana and Poppa were married when my Nana was 19.  Two kids (and 3 grandkids) later, they have now been married 63 years.  Unfortunately my Nana has Alzheimers now, so she doesn't remember my Poppa most of the time, but he still visits her every day (a la The Notebook) and he is just as in love with her as he was the day he married her.  Best love story I have ever heard of!! :)

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The police were called to my parents wedding. One of my fathers friends came high and started hitting on my father's cousin's date. My uncle and grandfather (police officer) held him up against the wall by his neck and screamed at him. Apparently the maitre de didn't think they could handle it on their own and called the police. The high one is no longer friends with my parents.

Oh, and my father insisted on wearing a white tux. It was the only thing he wanted so my mom said sure. Yeah, he sat in ketchup.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I know several stories about my parents' wedding. 
    -My mom caught her veil on fire at my parents' wedding. She went to blow the unity candle out and blew her veil into it. My parents still joke about it. 
    -My aunt was only 11 at my parents' wedding. She lets everyone know that was the first time she ever wore a bra. My grandma apparently tricked her out of wearing her undershirts by sewing her a dress that made it impossible to wear an undershirt and thus she had to wear a bra. 
    -My parents drove down to Florida for their honeymoon. Well my mom tried to get a sun tan all in one day and ended up getting sun poising. She spent the rest of their honeymoon in pain and miserable. They ended up cutting their trip short. My mom said it was awful driving back in a non-AC car. My mom said by surviving that week she knew that they would have a long and happy marriage...they will celebrate their 35th anniversary this June. 
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • These are great stories - and making me kind of sad that I don't know any stories about my grandparents' weddings.

One story about my parents: they got married the summer between their junior and senior years of college, and my mom was in summer school. She had two final exams the morning of her wedding! I can't even imagine. Come to think of it, she's never told me what grades she got in those classes...hmm.
    Anniversary
  • Well I'm getting married what would have been my grandparents' 67th anniversary if my grandfather hadn't passed away in November.  They were sooo in love right up until the end so I think it's a good luck day (June 30)! 

My parents had a homeless man attend their wedding.  The pastor said sometimes he comes in to watch marriages and I think he said something to my mom as she was walking back down the aisle.  My mom is convinced he was Jesus, but she can be a little nutty sometimes (not meant to be offensive, she just always thinks she has supernatural experiences).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards