June 2012 Weddings

**I'm Married! Questionnaire

Since the first weekend of June brides are starting to return from their honeymoons and checking back in with us, I thought we could get some helpful advice from their experiences while the rest of us anxiously wait for our turn!
BEFORE

1. How long did it really take you and your bridesmaids to finish getting ready?

2. Did your wedding party follow your timeline pretty well, or did your group end up falling behind?

3. What’s something you spent too much/too little money or time on?

4. What is one detail that you sort of overlooked that you wish you had paid more attention to? What is something that you put tons of effort into that ended up being mostly unnoticed?

DURING

5. What was a detail from you wedding that really had guests "oohing and ahhing"?

6. Did you and your FI have time to enjoy the food? 

7. Was there a piece of music that surprised you as a hit at the reception? What were the guest favorites?

8. Best compliment you got from a guest?

9. If you didn't have a DOC, did you have much to worry about that day?

AFTER

10. What was the best part about your big day?

11. What was something you were really stressing out about but turned out to be not a big deal/totally fine?  What is something that ended up being a waste of time or money?

12. What time did you end up leaving the reception?

13. What is the most important/first thing you did/needed to do once all of the wedding craziness subsided?

14. Who was your favorite vendor now that the wedding is done?

15. What was one highlight from the big day that will remain in your memory every time you think back on your wedding day?

BONUS

16. Where did you go for your wedding night?

17. How long did it take you or your FI to get all of the pins out of your hair on the wedding night?

18. What is one piece of advice you would offer to a bride on her wedding day?

19. Favorite picture from the day? (extra credit for PIP!)

Re: **I'm Married! Questionnaire

• I'm mostly a lurker, but I got married last weekend and here is some advice:

Before:
    1. My bridesmaids and I started hair around 7:30 A.M. at the hotel and were done around 10:15. What turned our really well was that my hair dresser came to the hotel and started on my hair while my personal attendant and my mom curled the other girls' hair. This way all my hair dresser had to do was pin the other girls' hair which didn't take that long. We got to the church around 10:30 to get dressed and put on makeup. We were done in time for pictures at 11:00 :)

2. The wedding party did really well about following the timeline. H said that all of the groomsmen were at the church when they were told to (we told them early because some of them are notoriously late)

3. I don't really think that there was something that I spent too much time or money on.

4. I can't think of anything I overlooked... but I'm sure there was something :) I'm not sure about the details, but things that I put a lot of thought into were how I listed names in my programs. H's parents are divorced and I didn't know who to put 1st. I'm pretty sure no one noticed or cared

During
    5. I got a lot of complements on my bridesmaids mismatching dresses. They were all in the same color (cornflower blue from david's bridal) and had the same length (knee), but were different styles. I also had a flower with feathers in my hair that I received a lot of complements on.

6.Yes

7. We had FIL's band playing, and I feel like everyone really enjoyed them. While the band was taking breaks, H. had a playlist of pop music that we played. This gave us a good variety of music for people to dance to. The dance floor was pretty full all night long.

8. In the receiving line someone told me that they could tell I was really excited to be getting married. I was kind of bouncing because I was bending my knees (this is partly due to a nervous habit and partly due to the fact that I was worried about my knees locking and passing out)

9. We had a DOC that was provided by the church for the ceremony, but other than that we didnt' have one. It was wonderful that everyone was willing to step up when needed. My brother's girlfriend ran to the hotel 10 minutes before the ceremony because I had forgotten the marriage contract. My personal attendant was standing ready during pictures to touch up hair and makeup, one of my bridesmaids brought me a plate of food for lunch in a very small window where I wasn't taking pictures, and MIL's family decorated the reception hall. What they say about delegating is true. People will be honored to do something if you ask them to.

After
    10. I don't know! I had such a wonderful day I can't pick a favorite!

11. Spilling something on my dress :) I was so worried that H jokingly stuffed napkins in my dress as a bib during dinner.

12. Our reception ended at 11:00, but I stayed to help get everything out of the hall. We ended up leaving around 11:30

13. Unpack all the presents! Our house was a mess

14. Our florist was wonderful

15. H. and I both graduated with a music degree. My flute professor opened up the recital hall at our school and we took pictures there. It was a lot of fun.

Bonus
    16. We stayed in the honeymoon suite at the hotel

17. 5 to 10 minutes

18. When you are doing all of the formal pictures, make sure you and the bridesmaids take pictures before H. and groomsmen. I was taking pictures for 2 hours straight where as H. got a break while the bridesmaids and I were taking pictures.

19. I don't have any of the pro pictures back yet. But from the snapshots taken, there is a really good one of H and I during our first dance.
  • Hey girls! Congrats on your big day! Mine was the 2nd and we are leaving for our honeymoon tomorrow! I will try to answer these the best I can! :) 

BEFORE

1. How long did it really take you and your bridesmaids to finish getting ready?

- We started hair at 7 and were all done (hair, make up, dressed, etc...) by 10.

2. Did your wedding party follow your timeline pretty well, or did your group end up falling behind?

-Followed it PERFECTLY!

3. What’s something you spent too much/too little money or time on?

-Too little time on stressing! --- Seriously, I was so calm that morning.

4. What is one detail that you sort of overlooked that you wish you had paid more attention to? What is something that you put tons of effort into that ended up being mostly unnoticed?

- Figuring out and scoping out the city where I wanted wedding pics at. 

- Put a lot of effort into organizing everyones hair appointments when I had mine scheduled from day 1 (they were complaining about their time and the money but were unwilling to find someone to do theirs... it was $30 for an up-do AND they came to my house).

DURING

5. What was a detail from you wedding that really had guests "oohing and ahhing"?

- EVERYTHING! I dont mean to sound concieted but I seriously got compliments on everything that day! The number one thing would be my dress

- Yes! But no cake!

7. Was there a piece of music that surprised you as a hit at the reception? What were the guest favorites?

- Yes, they played Love Shack and EVERYONE was dancing... Grandparents, their friends, etc...

- That my husband was the happiest groom they have ever seen and I must be a really good woman ! 

- Not really. I consider myself a VERY organized person so therefore I was worried the day before but prepped myself to not worry about anything that day! I am thankful for all of my hard work leading up to the day and my awesome friends and family that helped!

AFTER

- Celebrating with everyone we love and GETTING MARRIED-OF COURSE!

11. What was something you were really stressing out about but turned out to be not a big deal/totally fine?  What is something that ended up being a waste of time or money?

-All of the guys getting in town and picking up their tuxs' the day before. 

- Absolutely nothing.

- 12:00 (to sit on the stinkin shuttle for 45 mins. )

13. What is the most important/first thing you did/needed to do once all of the wedding craziness subsided?

- Breathe and talk about the big day! Oh.... and SHOWER! :) 

- They were all great. We booked our videographer a week before so he was great being so flexible. Our flowers turned out amazing! And our photographers were there all day and helped calm a few nerves!

15. What was one highlight from the big day that will remain in your memory every time you think back on your wedding day?

- The complinments on all of our personal touches and when I gave my dad a hankie before we walked down the aisle. (He fought his tears back really well!)

BONUS

- The hotel that was booked for all of our guests ! (Hilton Downtown St. Louis)

17. How long did it take you or your FI to get all of the pins out of your hair on the wedding night?

- 10 mins. 

- Try not to worry about anything! I had the mindset that something was going to go wrong and I just told myself how I would react. (Everything went perfectly). Dont worry about other things and TAKE PEOPLE UP ON OFFERS TO HELP! (this is something that is hard for me to do sometimes!) 

Our wedding shoes! 

• these are great questions, looking forward to reading more answers
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_im-married-questionnaire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:faa4aea5-268e-495e-bd72-2f12d34be11fPost:a567356a-5abd-4853-95e5-fbd71a653704">Re: **I'm Married! Questionnaire</a>:
    [QUOTE]these are great questions, looking forward to reading more answers
    Posted by Ash61612[/QUOTE]

<div>My thoughts, exactly!</div>
  • edited June 2012

1.How long did it really take you and your bridesmaids to finish getting ready? 

We started at noon and was done by 3:30.  The men started at 1:45 and done at 2:30

The girls fell behind due to traffic. We didn't plan for there to be a delay on one of the roads we took. But I was the bride so it was okay.  

We spent  too much money on the food. 

Transportation- we really never figured it out.   The advice book we put a bit of effort into and all the young people filled it out, the older people didn't. 

DURING

There were a lot . I mean everyone loved everything, there were so many complements on all of it.

YES! We did!

The DJ was awesome,  Sweet Caroline got everyone to the dance floor, and they stayed after it was done!  Surprisingly "I'm Sexy and I know" was a hit, my 80 year old grandparents were dancing to that song. 

"This is the best wedding i have been too, and I have been to alot of weddings". In fact, my Aunt and Uncle, who just threw a wedding for my cousin last year, said that this was an awesome, amazing wedding. 

No, not really. Just the time line. 

AFTER

H's brothers speech. It was beautiful and got a standing ovation. The other best moment was when H started crying as I wa walking down the aisle and then when he cried again during the Vows

11. What was something you were really stressing out about but turned out to be not a big deal/totally fine?  What is something that ended up being a waste of time or money?

When we had a GM go AWOL the night before the wedding nad was not able to be found. My Brother stepped up from an Usher and made it great. He even got us a bottle of Champagne. 

When it ended at midnight.

Sleep!

The florist and the DJ they went out of their way for us, making it amazing. 

H crying and H's brother's speech that caused him to cry again. 

BONUS

Hotel room

Took me and my friend 5 minutes

Bring safety pins. they were the one things I forget to bring out of an emergency kit, and the one thing I needed. 

Just got married last night, do not have pictures yet. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2012
    BEFORE

I only had the two mothers, myself, and my sister/MOH to get ready. Hair went from 12pm-pm, makeup 1:30-3:15

They were on time. My planner was half an hour late picking me up, the MY artist was half an hour late as well, but we ended up being ready in plenty of time because I padded the time line.

The only "waste" was the bathroom baskets/flip flops (barely touched, I think about half the 12 pairs of flip flops were taken) and we got to go boxes for our mini cupcake favors and nearly everyone ended up eating them right away (Which is a good sign that they were delicious!). So all in all, I think we wasted about $100 or less, not too shabby!

I wish we had taken dance lessons so we didn't just akwardly sway for three minutes during our first dance. I really don't think we spent too much time on any of the details though, it seemed like everything was appreciated! 

DURING

We got compliments on EVERYTHING the entire night, our signature cocktail, the personal details, the flowers/centerpieces, etc. I think we got the most compliments on our ceremony, which was completely created by us, and officiated by us (we self-united).

We had a sweetheart table, so we were mostly left alone during dinner but I was so wound up I could barely eat. We had plenty of time I just was barely able to force myself to eat something until more than a day later!

We didn't have many people dancing, which we expected due to the age of the crowd. But even though it wasn't on our approved music list, the DJ threw a Hail Mary and played Taio Cruz "Dynamite" and I htink that was the most popular song. The 80s music seem to have the best reaction.

All the comments we got about our ceremony. We put so much thought into it and it was 100% us, and we both come from Catholic families. It meant a lot that people were able to overlook that we didn't follow the religion we were raised in and appreciated it for how perfect it was for us. 

I was a DOC and she was kinda crappy, but thankfully two of my friends took care of everything. 

AFTER

Hearing my FI's vows, even though I had to ask to read them again at night because I couldn't remember what he said. And getting to say the words "We now pronounce ourselves husband and wife."

We had 92 guests, and I had ordered 100 cupcakes and 180 mini cupcakes (that were supposed to be favors) and I was paranoid we would have dozens left over. We had ONE cupcake, and about 10 minis left at the end. I was also worried that no one would sign our "guest books" which were terra cotta pots but when I looked at them the next day they were all covered in messages! The only thing that I felt was a waste was the bathroom basket I put together, other than a few pairs of flip flops I don't know that anyone used any of the lotions, etc I put in there.

We stayed until the end (plus about 15 minutes of cleanup afterwards), but we were staying at the venue. Most people left about an hour before the end of the reception.

Sleep. Even that night I couldn't sleep, and neither did the hubs. We got to our apartment yesterday and I passed out for five hours straight. I've also finally been able to eat. I lost 4lbs the week of the wedding! 

I really loved everyone, except my wedding planner but hands down my florist blew me away with everything she did. We got SOOOO many compliments on the flowers, and I feel like most people don't even notice centerpieces usually. I had only described to her what I wanted, she didn't have a photo to match but I could never imagine anything more perfect than what she did. And I spent less than $900 on the flowers, which is awesome!

When we got to the ring exchange, H stuck out his (correct) hand and I said "no other hand." Then I tried to shove it on and of course it didn't fit and i FINALLY realized I was wrong all along. We all laughed and I got it on the right hand. 

BONUS

We had a room at our venue, which was an inn/B&B

About ten minutes. I didn't have a huge number (I wore a curly side ponytail) but they were stuck in DEEP

Smile. Let everything go. Embrace the things that go "wrong". Let people take care of things for you. 

I don't have many yet, since it was Friday, but I'll AW my bouquet because it was amazing.

• BEFORE

1. How long did it really take you and your bridesmaids to finish getting ready? We were ahead of schedule for hair and makeup.  There were 3 bridesmaids, myself, and my mom getting hair and makeup.  We were there from 9:45-1:00.  When we got to the venue everyone changed at warp speed so I could get into my dress for the first look in 15 minutes.

2. Did your wedding party follow your timeline pretty well, or did your group end up falling behind? My mom was the worst.  Everyone else was pretty good.  The guys were a little late but it was okay.

3. What’s something you spent too much/too little money or time on? I think everything that we spent money on was well spent.  I think I spent too much time cutting out squares for our guestbook since not many people wrote on them.

4. What is one detail that you sort of overlooked that you wish you had paid more attention to? What is something that you put tons of effort into that ended up being mostly unnoticed? I don't really know.  I think everything was perfect!

DURING

5. What was a detail from you wedding that really had guests "oohing and ahhing"? The whole feel of the venue.  The service was amazing, the room was beautiful, and the food and drinks were great.  Oh, and the fact that my mom made my dress :)

6. Did you and your FI have time to enjoy the food? Our venue made sure we had food to eat and drink.  I didn't get to eat as much as I would have liked to but I also wasn't super hungry.  I was just so busy!

7. Was there a piece of music that surprised you as a hit at the reception? What were the guest favorites? We had said NO group dances and NO shout.  Guests kept requesting Shout, Macarena, and Cupid Shuffle so we let the DJ play them and they were a HUGE hit!

8. Best compliment you got from a guest? "This is the first wedding I've ever danced at" (got that from a few guests) and "You can tell how in love the two of you are"

9. If you didn't have a DOC, did you have much to worry about that day? My venue provided me with a DOC and a personal attendant so I was carefree!

AFTER

10. What was the best part about your big day? So many things!  Overall it was absolutely perfect.  If I had to pick one, it was our first look moment :)

11. What was something you were really stressing out about but turned out to be not a big deal/totally fine?  What is something that ended up being a waste of time or money? I was stressing about the weather.  It rained in the morning but it cleared and was beautiful by pictures and the outdoor ceremony.

12. What time did you end up leaving the reception? It ended at 11and we left after that.  We had to get our stuff together and get organized and wait for the shuttle to the hotel with other people for the after party!

13. What is the most important/first thing you did/needed to do once all of the wedding craziness subsided? Just look at each other and say "Holy **** we're married!"

14. Who was your favorite vendor now that the wedding is done? I really don't think I can pick one.  Everything was amazing!

15. What was one highlight from the big day that will remain in your memory every time you think back on your wedding day? Our first look, walking down the aisle with my dad, our first dance, my dance with my dad, and ALL the dancing

BONUS

16. Where did you go for your wedding night? The after party at the hotel with our family and friends (we left at 1am to go to bed...my parents and friends partied well past 3am).

17. How long did it take you or your FI to get all of the pins out of your hair on the wedding night?  I was amazed.  I only had about 6 pins and a rubber band!

18. What is one piece of advice you would offer to a bride on her wedding day? No matter what, you're getting married!  Keep reminding yourself of that!

19. Favorite picture from the day? (extra credit for PIP!) I haven't seen many yet so I don't know...

Anniversary
  • 1.How long did it really take you and your bridesmaids to finish getting ready? 

The girls started at noon and were done (except for dresses) by 1:00.

Exactly!  The guys were on time and the girls were early!

Nothing I can think of!

Nothing was overlooked.  I put a lot of thought into the prelude music and only one person mentioned it to me afterwards.  (We used Vitamin String Quartet music)

DURING

The overall look and experience.  Also the colors we chose, and the dresses & tuxedos.

We actually did!

It seemed like almost everything was a hit!  My favorite was my sister in laws dancing to Sexy and I Know it!

"Best Wedding EVER!" and other like compliments.  Everyone just really seemed to enjoy themselves!

We did have one.  Her name was Lynda and I will never forget her. 

AFTER

Everything.  My Grandmother coming out to the ceremony space (before the guests arrived) to see me for the first time.  Her reaction is one I'll always hold in my heart.  <3  Also the pre-ceremony photos H and I took holding hands with a wall between us.  It just made everything so special.

The officiant was going to be late to rehearsal, very late.  But he ended up being on time after his previous plans were rained out.

When it concluded, around 11:00 PM

Thank my DH for helping me, putting up with my craziness and loving me through it all!

The DJ, Photogs & DOC were beyond amazing.

The moments my dad and I had before walking down the aisle, BM's speech, Going to Chic-Fila before the ceremony in a veil, etc.

BONUS

The Hotel

A few minutes.

Just take the time to relax and enjoy the day.  Don't overthink things and just breathe.  The moment the wedding became enjoyable for me, is the moment I let go of all worries and just chilled out. :)

image 145 Invited
    image 121 Are ready to party!
    image 24 Will be missing out!
    image Everyone has finally RSVP'd!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 1. How long did it really take you and your bridesmaids to finish getting ready?

Would have been about 45 mins or less for the girls to get ready and do makeup.  Some of us already had makeup done.  We all had hair done already.  We had to wait for my mom to get back and wait for the photographer to get back from taking the guys photos so I had to wait to get ready myself.  Lacing the corset too about 10 mins.  I suggest having someone practice beforehand.  We did not

Photos after the ceremony went over time.  and our coordinator told our ushers the wrong time to be there so we did not get the ushers in the groomsmen photos before the ceremony like we wanted.

I cant really say how much people payed attention to the flowers.  I feel like we spent a lot.  Not sure if itwas worth it or not.   It did look really pretty so Ill contiune to tell myself that it was worth it so I dont fret about it.

I dont know.

DURING

the Cake.  I think that was what we got the most comments on. 

yes we got to eat enough but I do wish I could have enjoyed it more.  I was really distracted.  The food was really good. I also wish we could have got some of the cocktail hr horsduerves.  I heard they were good too.

It took a while for the dancing party to get started, once it did we only had a little over an hour.  We had been fighting with my family to not do the chicken dance, we did allow it and I was suprised how many people were dancing.

A couple people said the day went flawlessly.  no one could tell that there were a couple hiccups.  I was suprised it went so smoothly.  People said they were having a lot of fun, the food was good.  I was really pleased with what people were saying.  of course they could have just been saying that to be nice.

She stresed me out more.  Our pictures after the ceremony were running over, pushing dinner late.  Neither the coodrinator or the photographer really helped me when putting together the timeline, I was mostly guessing so that is where the problem started.  Other than that, she kept things moving smoothly.

AFTER

seeing FI when I walked down the aisle.  it was more emotional that I thought.  

almost everything - I worried too much about everything and it was all ok. Favors - no one said anything about the chocolate covered pretzels that my parents spent a ton of time making

It was supposed to be over at 10.  Guests were still milling around at 10:30-10:40.  We were done packing up our things by 11.  My parents, aunts and uncles were very helpful packing things up.

Sit in silence.   Haha. 

The DJ was really great. He was always checking in to make sure everyint is ok.  I would have said photographer because our sneak peek photos look awesome and I really liked her.  I don';t think H and the groomsmen liked being told what to do but after seeing the photos H understands why she was telling them what to do.  The photos look great.

Not just one thing but just thinking that all of those people were there for us - its a really special feeling.  I don't know how to describe it.  I usually think people are oblivious to me.  It was great knowing all those people love or care about us.

BONUS

we had an after party at the hotel our guests were staying at.  We also stayed at that hotel.  We got a free whirlpool suite for getting 20 rooms booked in our block. 

about 5 mins,  I had 46 pins.  

don't worry about things the day of, even if it doesnt go perfectly you can still enjoy it.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards