August 2014 Weddings

Anyone else...

going crazy with wanting to start planning?!

Re: Anyone else...

• Me! haha I'm so over school and just want to get a job, get hitched and get on with my life!

I've actually started a bit to be honest. I've got a binder all organized. But we've only started because my fiance and are doing something a little un-traditional with the venue so we feel it better to get started on at least that haha :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I totally know what you mean! I've actaully started a little bit, too. I don't have a binder organized just yet, but I do have a computer folder dedicated to it, lol. I've started because next year, I'm going to start nursing school, so I know that for the next 2 years, all of my time will be going towards studying, so I'd much rather have things somewhat figured out, rather than losing my head trying to get everything together and figuring out what it is that I want later, and having to do everything last minute.

What do you have so far?

We've got the date picked out, and have narrowed down the venues to our top 3,and our colors down to our top 2 color combos (navy and pink, and navy and lime green).
  • Nursing school yikes! Way more intense than me but I totally dig how you feel! I know that the next two years will be hectectic with school and since I go to Uni in PA and my wedding will be in NJ I know that I'm going to be going bonkers trying to study and plan an out of state wedding.

We've picked the date, the kind of venue we want and a plan B in case we can't get the kind of place we want, decided on the photographer and officiant, but haven't hired them yet. We have the wedding party slightly sorted (one is up in the air on his side due to mental health issues so we're going to wait until making that decision final), really rough draft of a guest list, and I personally have a folder of dress idea pictures. 

haha we kind of seem to have a lot done, but as much as I want to plan so does my fiance so sometimes we indulge our desire and plan a little haha :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is so awesome! I would definitely get stressed out planning an out of state wedding also. My FI also likes to look at wedding plans with me, so that makes me excited! Haha. We also have our photographer and officiant picked out, but only because our photographer is going to be one of our roommates, and she's only going to charge us $100, and do our engagements for free! And our officiant will most likely be his father, because he's a pastor and I'm sure he wouldn't charge us for that.

I definitely know what dress I want. I've been to places to try some on, and I have absolutely fallen in love with a dress from David's Bridal, so I'm going to be putting aside like, $50 a paycheck so that I can get the dress before they retire it.

As for the wedding party, I know I am going to have 2 maids of honor, and I know who they are going to be, but aside from them, I have no idea who I'd pick. I think I'm going to wait to decide that until much later. There could be tons of people come in and out of my life in the next couple of years.
  • Yes it is definitely a good idea to wait to ask for people to be in your wedding party. My friends are already shifting and I've only been engaged a little over a year, and my fiance's one choice is, as I said, not quite stable so we want to see where that boy is at when the time rolls around.

I'm a little nervous to plan out of state, but I know that when it gets closer I can decide what little things I don't mind letting my mother or sister handle since they both still live in Jersey.

Ugh I am dying to try on dresses. It's the biggest thing I really really just want to do right now, if only to just get the whole first wedding dress ever out of the way. But I know that I need to wait until I can go to a shop back where I live because I don't want to find/buy a dress out here and then have to drive four hours for my fitting! haha The itch is not helped by the fact to go town from my Uni there are TWO bridal shops on the one route there -.- haha just my luck!

You're super lucky you know people who can do your photo's and officiate! the only photographer we know is, well, my fiance! haha It'll save you money in the long run and for sure be way more special with them doing those things :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • oh my gosh, having to drive by 2 bridal stores all the time would kill me! You could always go look at dresses where you are, and if you do happen to find a dress you like, you can always get alterations done elsewhere. You don't have to get your alterations done at the place you get your dress. Often times it's cheaper to get it done somewhere else. Bridal stores charge so much for their alterations, than a seamstress.
  • Hahaha it's killer! Luckily, with all my coursework I don't get out too much! xD

I hadn't thought of that, it's definitely a good idea! I may consider doing that, the only issue is that I think if I went dress shopping without my sister she would be a little grouchy with me for awhile. Plus, it's not been hashed out who is paying for my dress yet! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ah, yeah, it's always better to go dress shopping with someone else. It much more fun, and you get someone else's opinion too.

Oh! I just asked one of my maids of honor to be my maid of honor last night! (She said yes!) I am SO excited! She asked me to be her maid of honor at her wedding last night also!
  • edited February 2012
    Hi girls,

I'm hoping for August 2014, and I have started planning because I like to be organized lol and know I"m making the best decisions for me!

I started a binder, configured a possible guestlist, looking at venues now and FI is very interested in the venue search - but the $$ signs are already freaking us out!

xx

Oh - and even though I have configured a possible wedding party list - I am NOT I repeat NOT spilling the beans until AT LEAST JAN 2014!!!!! Words to the wise... don't tell your girls!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2014-weddings_anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3b20a1d1-4ef2-4e8c-9856-8bb945e82aa6Discussion:fde61ab5-8e8e-4645-946f-c3e74c592564Post:f5040446-0a4c-4afa-9f6a-3ad80887820f">Re: Anyone else...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi girls, I'm hoping for August 2014, and I have started planning because I like to be organized lol and know I"m making the best decisions for me! I started a binder, configured a possible guestlist, looking at venues now and FI is very interested in the venue search - but the $$ signs are already freaking us out! xx Oh - and even though I have configured a possible wedding party list - I am NOT I repeat NOT spilling the beans until AT LEAST JAN 2014!!!!! Words to the wise... don't tell your girls!
    Posted by ambersthebride[/QUOTE]

<div>yayy august! haha<div>
    </div></div><div>totally dig what you're saying about the money freaking you out. some of things i just look at go "really, that's a ridiculous price!" since i'm a total bargain shopper xD</div><div>
    </div><div>it's definitely a good idea to wait, i agree with you. my fiance and i have quasi-picked but are waiting until the year of to make it final even though we only have max 6 people in the wedding party. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 8/15/14 here!

I have a binder already also.  I've already talked to venues (getting married on St. Thomas) but they won't book this far in advance.  Just more time to save money and get a better venue!!  At least I know about where the costs will be for an August wedding, even if the 2014 rates aren't out yet.

I have a guest list, but I know could change in 18 months.  I'm definitely not asking anyone to be in my wedding just yet.  

I'm also going to be a DIY bride, so I'll HOPEFULLY benefit from the long engagement!

• So many august brides i love ittt :D

I'll also be trying to DIY a whole lot, or at least, what we can. The biggest thing that we'll be DIYing will be our invites but since my fiance is a graphic designer, admittedly still at Uni but still massively helpful since he's going to be doing our invites for his independant study at Uni :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DIYing will defnitely save you a bunch of money! There are always suggestions to be found around here to which will definitely help with that haha :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2014-weddings_anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3b20a1d1-4ef2-4e8c-9856-8bb945e82aa6Discussion:fde61ab5-8e8e-4645-946f-c3e74c592564Post:85393b19-d303-4075-a8d2-0551e1dd4ad9">Re: Anyone else...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies!  I just joined today and I'm planning for August 9, 2014!!  Yay!
    Posted by Nicc9[/QUOTE]

<div>Yay! We're date twins!</div>
  • I'll probably be doing some DIY myself. 

I'm so glad there are some more girls here now! It's so exciting!
  • We aren't really going to be doing "colors" per se. Since we're planning to hopefully get married in an art gallery there will be a whole variety of colors as opposed to just three specific ones. The most prominent will probably be a blue shade I'm thinking of putting my bridesmaid/moh in aand if I decide that white washes my pale skin out too much I'll be in a darker purple or emerald colored dress.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hope it is! haha what about you? Given any thought to it or feeling too far out still? :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have! We're doing NAVY and HOT PINK
  • haha not suprised somehow that both of you are thinking pink! xD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sonya+adamsonya+adam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Bay, hahah, thanks? You know us so well after so little time. <3 I really liked navy and lime green, and navy and yellow, but FI doesn't like yellow. He actually chose the navy/pink combo when I gave him the list of colors. Ha.
  • Hahaha well (and this is not meant in a mean/totally stereotyping way!) most women who are super happy and bouncy to plan their weddings are the type that like pink...
    and then there's me haha xD

I like navy and lime green too! surprising that your Fi picked pink but hey, whatever makes ya both happy! haha :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hahaha! It was one combo in a bunch that I had FI look at. I was actually pretty surprised too, but I feel like it's an easier color to handle rather than the lime green as far as flowers and stuff like that go.
  • Sonya-- yeah that's true lime green would be kind of hard flower wise...

Nicc- yay for you having bought something! haha I like the inspiration for your invites. It could just be the purple that I'm digging though haha XD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Holy crap, $5?!?! Shoot, I would have bought them too!
  • 4 to 10 bucks for wedding stuff? man if my fi wasn't making ours i'd buy those too!

As far as my budget, well, I recently had an issue about this actually haha. My dad has gone totally old-school-man-man on us and has demanded to pay: okay fine by fi&me we know what this occasion means for my family (happiness finally) so we agreed. Then the other day he gave me the number: way too much. It was so much and we were not comfortable with it at all. So i'm going try and keep mine much lower than what he offered.

I'll PM both of you the exact numbers if you are interested ( i don't feel comfortable putting either here) but I will say mine will be quite less than 20 grand...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay well mines under $15,000 haha :) Doing DIY will definitely help keep both our budgets down! haha

Yeah my dad is kind of old school, i mean he is 70 so I kind of expect that from him, plus I am going to be the first and only daughter to get married. My sister while older than me is, to put it lightly, married to her job. So I know my dad wants to have a chance for some happiness for our family (they need it! haha)

It can definitely be uncomfortable, and I am totally a little hesitant about it all. I mean he's already paying for my school and now this. I am pretty sure he is taking from his retirement fund for the budget he gave me, which is partially why I'm not using it all; the other is that I do not want a huge ass wedding haha. We would just be eloping if my dad hadn't offered and I know my family didn't need this 

[/things you guys probably didn't need/want to know xD]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am probably going to do the same thing with my invites: buy a kit and add to it. I have no idea what our budget is going to be. We are going to assume that we're paying for everything, but I know my mom will help out some, and I'm *hoping* my dad will offer to pay for it, haha. Kind of the opposite problem, Bay.

My dad hasn't ever really been there for me, so I'm hoping he'll step up to the plate, so to speak, and chip in for the wedding. I know he has the money to do it.
  • I'd probably be doing the same thing as you guys if fi wasn't a designer-- it's definitely the best way to go.

Sorry about your dad =/ At least you are getting a little help from your mom. Maybe once you've started to seriously plan things and book places you could approach him and say something like "We aren't fishing for money from you but we know that most dad's want to help with the wedding fee's and just wanted to give you the chance to be a part of everything."??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • where are you thinking of moving Nicc? haha probably not my state if you are looking for cheaper housing xD haha

Those stickers are cuuute!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice on how to approach him, Bay! I LOVE NY!! FI and I want to move there someday. At least for a little while. It's my favorite place to be.

Those stickers are SO cute!! Super inexpensive, too!

I vote Texas, but I could be biased, hahaha. I have family in Florida also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards