Just Engaged and Proposals

Opinions on Girl Proposing To Guy @ Club Where They First Met

I'd like anybody's opinion on the idea I'm having on how to propose to my boyfriend.We met at a club in Mexico (where we both have lived, and have family there, so it's not just a vacation spot) that is very lively and in a lovely location -- it has a large balcony which overlooks the Sea of Cortez (the club is right on the beach), and at night the moon shines across it. It also has a third floor with another bar; no ceiling, just a view of the stars and the ocean. I'm considering popping the question in one of these two places in the club, but am concerned that a club would lack in privacy so much that it would detract from the specialness of the moment, since so many people (including our friends) would be around.Also, I'm wondering how to present the ring itself -- would it be tacky to have it served as a garnish on a drink, or fun and unexpected?Any opinions or suggestions? Thank you, in advance!

Re: Opinions on Girl Proposing To Guy @ Club Where They First Met

• edited December 2011
    This may be a dumb question...but doesn't the guy usually propose to the girl? just wondering
  • edited December 2011
    No the guy doesn't always propose!!! I asked my ex husband to marry him on the softball field because we met playing coed softball.  everyone else knew about it and even played a role in me asking him and giving him the ring.  it was awesome.  even won a contest for valentine's day one year for most creative engagement proposal!!!  i say if ur in love and u want to ask him, then go for it!  make it as creative as possible, so no detail will ever be forgotten!!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to have to agree with StageManager...
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    Realistically it's something both people do but you might be taking a lot away from the traditional approach.If you propose it would probably come accross as you being inpatient, the more aggressive one. There is also something about a man being priviledged to ask a women he loves her and to grace his life with her presence forever. I think it's one of those things in life, a man should be given the honor to do; to ask for your hand in marriage.
  • NelmesyNelmesy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to have to very very strongly disagree with StageManager and JesusLovingChik. My fiance HAD decided that I was the one for him, almost as soon as we met, but had decided to wait for 6 months after moving in with me before he would ask me, knowing that I am very independant and strong minded. As it happens, three months after moving in together, I decided that I was ready to commit like that, and I asked him. We are now 5 weeks away from the wedding.If you are a woman who knows her own mind, your partner will love you for that very reason, and if it is not out of character for you to propose, then he will not be surprised by you doing it.I think this sounds like a lovely place to propose. You could always arrange for the ring to be in the bottom of a glass, like in a movie; or perhaps reverse tradition totally and go down on bended knee.Either way good luck, and I know you will create a fabulous memory for you both. 
  • edited December 2011
    I pretty much proposed to my fi, even though we both talked about marriage everyday for the 3 yrs we were together and he was the first to bring it up, but I didn't give him a ring. I bought myself a ring (with our money) was he supposed to get one? Oops he was pissed too like "what? I don't get a ring" I was just like "what, you wanna wear the dress too?" LMAO I could've waited for him to propose but it would've taken years
  • edited December 2011
    I basically proposed to my FI. I didn't get him a ring. He bought me a ring. We haven't set a date yet. We have been together for over 10 years. I just thought it was time.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance HAD decided that I was the one for him, almost as soon as we met, but had decided to wait for 6 months after moving in with me before he would ask me, knowing that I am very independant and strong minded. As it happens, three months after moving in together, I decided that I was ready to commit like that, and I asked him. We are now 5 weeks away from the wedding.Similar situation here. We already knew we were obviously going to be "official" someday. If you haven't been having conversations about your future, the possibility of marriage, the possibility of children, etc, throughout your entire relationship, you have no business getting married. This is why, while PROPOSALS themselves are often a surprise, whether or not the other person says yes should never be one.I brought up the topic over dinner one night. My fiance and I then decided next fall works well for us. We're picking out a ring this weekend. Do whatever works for you. Also, lesson number 1 of wedding planning = don't get upset if something isn't your version of "perfect." Even if the proposal gets interrupted by a freaking mariachi band... well, it's memorable.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards