African American Weddings

Marriage license. How soon???

I didn't get rehired for my job this school year. It's been crazy trying to find a job and even worst trying to find one that will at least pay me what I previously made. To make a long story short, I don't have insurance any more. It would cost me an arm and a leg to pay for insurance with this little part time job i've got now. My FI suggested that we go ahead and get our marriage license so that he can put me on his insurance. We will still have our wedding as planned in December. With the swine flu in full affect in our area and winter season coming along, he just doesn't want the worst to happen and I not have any type of insurance. Have you been in a situtaion like this? What would you do?
Pregnancy Ticker Married: December 19, 2009

Re: Marriage license. How soon???

• edited December 2011
    You mean just apply for the license or get married. I know at my job you have to prove you are officially legally married first. I understand your dilemna and I do know of someone who actually got married earlier than she planned to just be "legally" married and still had her full wedding. She had MS and lost her job and really needed that health insurance. The Cobra payments were overwhelming.
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thankfully I have not been in a situation like this but I would suggest you go on and get married. You can do a wedding but you can't get more health. The whole point of the wedding is to get married anyway. You can still have the wedding at a later date but this is a time to be practical. Your marriage will not matter any less whether you do a big wedding or just get in front of the JOP.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp go ahead and get married and still have your wedding at a later date... If FI job only needs the marriage license then I say definitely go for it and have your wedding as planned in Dec.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually met a girl in the bridal shop in your situation. I was telling her how gorgeous her dress was, etc. As we brides tend to do we started swapping ideas and such. Anyway we ended up talking FOREVER and she told me she and her husband had been secretly married for 6 months. No one knew exept the 2 of them, 2 witnesses and the JoP. Her wedding was to be in June and she said the same people would go to the back and 'sign' the license. No one will know unless she tells them! I said alllllll that to say: it can work. Health insurance is important. No one needs to know you and hubby did the deed except the 2 of you and 2 witnesses. Have your wedding as planned! That's what I would do.
  • Crook251Crook251 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! After sleeping on it I woke up with a peace about the situation. Then after reading the replys, I feel even better about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker Married: December 19, 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards