African American Weddings

Two dresses?

Hi Ladies,just checking to see how many of you are wearing two dress the day of your wedding. I'm the first of three daughters so my mother made sure I chose a ball gown for the ceremony. Since I had my heart set on something a bit sexier, I chose a fishtail for the reception (after the father/daughter dance is the agreement). Is any one else changing?

Re: Two dresses?

• edited December 2011
    I plan on changing to a short dress after the cake cutting. I like to get my "dance on" LOL!
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011
    I not sure about me, maybe..but my cousin just got married, and she changed into another outfit..but she did it before the reception, whicn me and my mother believed she should have waited..but it was really pretty, and the dress matched the color of her wedding which was brown. so that's not a bad idea.
  • Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I had to promise my mom I would do the father/daughter dance in the ball gown so we actually moved that up. The second dress is a surprise for my FI and since he's not into wedding planning, I dont think he'll notice us not taking our first dance as husband and wife at the beginning of the reception. I want to be changed for the first dance and surprise him then.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm probably going to, only because of the setting/weather at the reception.  Ours is outdoors, in June, in Dallas, lol.  But I have not decided just yet becaue I am trying to get as much wear out of it as possible!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure yet, but i might have to wear an African traditional attire for the second half of the ceremony as custom in African weddings...On the other hand, I think after shelling a lot of money on a dress, i may wear it for 2 days straight. LOL! We will see after i get the dresses
  • edited December 2011
    I plan on it.. I have to find a 2nd dress now.. Like the pp I like to get my dance on as well...
  • edited December 2011
    I am also wearing two dresses the day of my wedding. I cannot walk around with that heavy dress on all day. Ater the dance with our parents then I plan to change.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • keila17thkeila17th member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will have 2 dresses Ball Gown and Short and Sexy towards the end of the reception I have to be able to Second Line properly New Orleans Style !!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having 2 dresses. I'm wearing a party dress as the second dress. i need to be able to dance
    Lovin Kimmie
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting a second dress but only because we are having an early ceremony and reception and a party later that night for the wedding party and close friends. I'll be wearing the 2nd dress for the party.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm actually wearing 3 dresses. A ball gown or a wide a-line dress for the Ceremony and first dance and dinner lol. And then a slim sexy natural waistline dress for the reception dancing. I also am planning on getting a short flirty dress for a performance dance dedicated to my FI since i'm a dancer and 3 of my 7 BM's are too. I think it will be really funny and alot of fun. Plus, a wedding is a whole day affair... i don't see why i can't change a couple times lol
  • Vanessa AVanessa A member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree Babygurl 81090. Why would I want to stay in a huge, heavy dress all night. I never wanted to be the princess at my wedding, just the best looking, lol. My BFF and one of my bridesmaids think it's the silliest thing to change from the ceremony dress. To make matter worse, I didn't pick a short and sassy dress but a long, fitted fish tail dress. I'm not much of a dancer and i hate my knees short was out plus I know my FI will love this dress as a surprise, which makes getting it even better.
  • edited December 2011
    I think I am, it's been budgeted.
  • edited December 2011
    Two dresses is a great idea! I wore two dresses for our wedding day also and I loved it! It gave me the chance to have to completely different looks in my wedding pictures as well as make movement easier during my reception. I wore a sheath styled gown w/ a little bit of a train for the ceremony and I wore a tea length dress for the reception. I say go for it! I did it and I loved tht I made that decision. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    With the dress and having the designer make it with an additional 1/2 yard of material to the train ($400 by itself), my dress will be over 2K (before alterations) and we're paying cash for everything (so I'm feeling that whole 2K) and I'm wearing that bad boy the entire night! I'm wearing it when we leave for that night, I'm wearing it as many hours as I can. Do you hear me? But mine is already a mermaid so I'll be able to dance in it. Also, I guess I'm kind of traditional in this way but my Grandmother didn't want my aunt to change from her wedding dress and I kind of like that idea. I'll only be the bride one day so I'm going to wear the gown the entire day. I will have two veils, however, a cathedral for the ceremony and a fingertip for the reception so I definitely see the sense in fine tuning different aspects of the attire to the time of day and the activities for the day.
  • edited December 2011
    Was doing 2 now just doing 1....surprisingly! LOL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards