African American Weddings

QOTD..

When FI proposed...did he go to your parents/Mom/Dad and ask for the blessing 1st or after ?

If he didnt how did that make you feel ? Was it important to you that he did ? 

Re: QOTD..

• My FI went to my mother the night before. He said any earlier and he was afraid that she might spill the beans. lolz. When I called her to tell her the BIG NEWS, she told me that he had come by. I burst into tears all over again. I'm such a bag of water.

The Future Mrs. Douglas Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • When FI proposed...did he go to your parents/Mom/Dad and ask for the blessing 1st or after ? None of the above. My parents knew it was coming and had given him their blessings to soon after meeting him. But he never asked directly.

If he didnt how did that make you feel ? 
    Him not asking made me mad at 1st. I would have like him to have asked my mom at least. 

Was it important to you that he did ? 
    At the end of the day, I guess its does not matter anymore, but I was disappointment that he did not do the traditional asking. My mom would have liked that conversation. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • My fiance did not.  I have a very wonderful family. It is all women. All of the men in the family are married in.  My grandmother had 7 girls and all of them had at least 2 girls and we are all in the same age group. We are very close and we do a lot together.  However, my family is really very bossy and pushy. They would have made suggestions on where to do it, how to do it, when to do it, what the ring should look like and all that.  When we finally told them we were getting married, they said and I quote " Yeaahhhhh WE are getting married" yes all  of us are getting married, even though most of them are already married.  That's why I have such a large Bridal party.  I love them though. However they did give him the blessing to marry me a long time ago so I dont know if that counts. But I am happy either way. I am glad he didnt ask them first.  It was way more intimate.  They arent too good with secrets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ToiizlovedToiizloved member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    The Day OF my FI called my dad and asked him. My parents live in diff states so he couldnt go visit. It meant the world to me that he asked my father 1st since I'm a daddy's baby...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our situation was soo different.. but when we went to tell my parents.. they said they already knew were getting married again... they were just waiting for us to realize it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • leatbaleatba member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited November 2012
    He didn't ask first but my parents kind of thought he wanted to be a permenant fixture because I hadn't sent him packing and actually took him to meet them. I would have been pissed if he would have asked for permission tho.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Around this time last year we threw a surprise bday party for my gma 70th bday (coicidental today is her bday) anyways, he asked my mom, dad and uncle (really close to him like a second father).. But he didn't tell them the exact date he was going to do bc he knew somebody will tell me. LOL.. But everybody did good and kept it to themselves..  When i actually called them on Christmas eve when he actually proposed everybody was shocked.. they knew it was gone happen, just didn't know when.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • He never asked. Wasn't really important.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_qotd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:36073b4b-f98e-4b13-9b08-614be187c546Post:da5e6409-8a99-4260-9ef7-8aad0df96fef">Re:QOTD..</a>:
    [QUOTE]He didn't ask first but my parents kind of thought he wanted to be a permenant fixture because I hadn't sent him packing and actually took him to meet them. <strong>I would have been pissed if he would have asked for permission tho.</strong>
    Posted by leatba[/QUOTE]

<div>Really...why ??</div>
  • My FI hasnt necessarily asked for the blessing and considering we are live together and have a baby. been together almost 5 yrs I dont think he he should have to. My mom is really bugging that he hasnt actually asked. When we first got engaged he just told her your daughter is going to be my wife..they laughed it off and then he said but seriously she is.. and then the conversation moved on from there. Now she is being a momzilla. 

I would understand it if I was 18, a virgin, no kids and still living at home. BUT that not the case. 
  • My parents haven't exactly cut the umbilical cord. Though I am the oldest and recently moved the farthest away they still feel they have a hand in my life. I'm sure FI would have been offended if the the blessing was not given
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_qotd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:36073b4b-f98e-4b13-9b08-614be187c546Post:27126195-6a45-4658-816b-8f9272babfc3">Re: QOTD..</a>:
    [QUOTE]When FI proposed...did he go to your parents/Mom/Dad and ask for the blessing 1st or after ?  None of the above. My parents knew it was coming and had given him their blessings to soon after meeting him. But he never asked directly. If he didnt how did that make you feel ?  Him not asking made me mad at 1st. I would have like him to have asked my mom at least.  Was it important to you that he did ?  At the end of the day, I guess its does not matter anymore, but I was disappointment that he did not do the traditional asking. My mom would have liked that conversation. 
    Posted by keyaira04[/QUOTE]

<div>What was his reasons for not doing it ? Did you ask him why he didnt ask ?</div>
  • My fiancé did not i am damn near 40 I know my father wanted to chat with him but didn't happen then he got sick Just doesn't seem important now My uncle *moms brother* asked my mom uh have y'all checked this boy out that netta is marrying lol
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No he did not ask, and it didn't bother me but thank God the Family loves him..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards