African American Weddings

This Is So Heartbreaking...

"Lakeasha Monique Rutledge Draft, the wife of former NFL linebacker Chris Draft, died Tuesday of lung cancer, exactly one month after the couple's wedding. She was 38.

The Drafts were married Nov. 27 in Atlanta; a terminally ill Lakeasha used a wheelchair to proceed down the aisle, then walked briefly to join Chris before the two exchanged vows."

The video brought tears to my eyes and made me remember that love is a blessing to be cherished and we are not guaranteed a lifetime.  

Here's the full story and their wedding video.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-30/wife-former-nfl-linebacker-chris-draft-dies-month-after-wedding?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D124034

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

Re: This Is So Heartbreaking...

• I saw that story too and cried watching their wedding video too.  So sad yet so touching at the same time.  
  • So sad :( but a true example of "... in sickness and in health, til death do us part" May her soul rest in everlasting peace til they meet again
    imageAnniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This is so sad...My T&P goes out to the family......

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_this-heartbreaking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:52cbd262-015f-4a0c-8eb0-46056a510c4bPost:8b83679d-7543-48b4-ac35-ab3a257bf6f5">Re: This Is So Heartbreaking...</a>:
    [QUOTE]So sad :( but a true example of "... in sickness and in health, til death do us part" May her soul rest in everlasting peace til they meet again
    Posted by ChocolateFlav17[/QUOTE]

Well said....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    133 Invited image 92 Are ready to celebrate! image 24 Are missing out image 17 Can't find the mailbox. image
  • That was so sad...But at least she had a good man by her side to still allow her dreams to come true and get married..I also seen her other pictures that they had up after the video and she seemed like a happy person and they were so much in love.. Only true love can be this special.. May her soul rest in peace and Mr. Draft find comfront in this time of sorrow..
  • I saw this the other day and yes it was heartbreaking. It kind of put things into perspective as far as wedding planning. I'm all bummed because I don't have a million dollar budget but money can't buy my health and strength. She probably didn't enjoy the wedding planning process as much as we get to. I need to be more grateful. I want to do more research on her. I think I may dedicate my race for the cure to her in 2012. (not sure if she had breast cancer). But this woman looks like me. I'm saying a young, AA woman. We get it too but ours isn't in the news. Here in Columbus two young white mothers passed away within the same year. Now I have the same amount of compassion because cancer doesn't know color. But I think it's time to shine the light on someone who looks like me. God Bless the Draft family. #team draft
    imageAnniversary
  • OMG TALK ABOUT CRYING WOOOOO I WOULD HAVE CRIED THE WHOLE WEDDING MAY GOD BLESS HIM :(
  • edited December 2011
    Well said MrsBoss!

I'm over here stressing about the guest list, in law issues, and wedding attire. The video put it all into perspective that I need to be VERY grateful for my health!

I'm over hear tearing up, I will stop worrying about the small stuff immediately.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • The video was so beautiful.  You could just feel the love.  May her soul rest in peace.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards