African American Weddings

HOW DO YOU HAVE YOUR INTRODUCTION ON THE INVITATION?

I need some inspiration ladies...Thanks

Re: HOW DO YOU HAVE YOUR INTRODUCTION ON THE INVITATION?

• tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went the tradional/formal route.  It reads:

Mr. and Mrs. (my parents)
    Request the honour of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Tam Tam to (FI name)
    son of (his parents)
    Saturday, the twenty-sixth day of June
    Two Thousand and Ten
    At Hlaf Past two o'clock in the evening

Venut Name
    Venue Address
    City and State.

It was just what was on my invitation template.  I hope I have answered your question correctly.  Oh!  And I also included information about the fact that we are just having hor'deovres (I always struggle with spelling that word) due to the time of day of the wedding and uhhh....our limited budget.
  • adgenyaadgenya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did

Bride's name
    and 
    Groom's name
    along with their parents 
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they unite in marriage
    date
    time

venue info
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did this:
    Groom's Parents
    and
    Bride's Parents
    Request the blessing of your presence
    at the marriage of their son
    Groom
    to
    Bride
    Date
    Time
    Venue info
    Wedding website
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Ours is:

The pleasure of your company
    is requested at the marriage of
    Bride's Name
    and Groom's Name
    Date
    Time
    Venue
    Address

If we were getting married at church It would have been something like "The honour of your presence is requested at the marriage of...."
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_name-fiances-introduction-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8295dd58-c5af-4144-aecd-d6541274aedbPost:5bc60105-f291-4f72-bc3a-8ef041e783a9">Re: HOW DO YOU HAVE YOUR INTRODUCTION ON THE INVITATION?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went the tradional/formal route.  It reads: Mr. and Mrs. (my parents) Request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter Tam Tam to (FI name) son of (his parents) Saturday, the twenty-sixth day of June Two Thousand and Ten At Hlaf Past two o'clock in the evening Venut Name Venue Address City and State.
    Posted by tamtam7[/QUOTE]

Ditto - we're having a church ceremony and a semi-formal reception.
  • edited December 2011
    This is what we put on our invitations.

"Two souls with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one." --
    John Keats

TOGETHER WITH OUR PARENTS

Bride's name
    and  Groom's name
    INVITE YOU TO JOIN IN THE CELEBRATION OF LOVE
     AS WE EXCHANGE OUR MARRIAGE VOWS 
    Date
      Time

Church address

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • lca315girllca315girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours read: Ms (my mother's name) And Mr. And Mrs. (my father's name) Request the honour of your presence at the marriage of their daughter (my name) To (FI's name) Saturday the fifth of June At three in the afternoon Name of church Address of church
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic White Knot
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For ours we did:

Bride's name
    and
    Groom's name

together with their parents
    invite you to share in their joy at their wedding

on [date]
    Two thousand and ten
    at [time]

Venue name
    Venue address
    Venue city and state [spelled out w/o zip code]

Reception immediately following

We respectfully request that children are not brought to the wedding and reception.
  • IFEFADIFEFAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.......I am just having a issue because his parents are not helping us financially and my parents are pretty much hosting everything so i dont want them to put them on introduction....They are not supporting in anyway, pretty much just showing up
  • edited December 2011
    Two lives united in friendship,Two friends united in love,One love united in Christ.My name&groom's namerequest the honor of your presenceas Christ unites them as oneon Saturday, the fourth of Septembertwo thousand and tenat five o'clock in the afternoonat the Venue Name
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_name-fiances-introduction-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8295dd58-c5af-4144-aecd-d6541274aedbPost:a88617c0-acba-4f5b-bf1b-12e8a6f14f2f">Re: HOW DO YOU HAVE YOUR INTRODUCTION ON THE INVITATION?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies.......I am just having a issue because his parents are not helping us financially and my parents are pretty much hosting everything so i dont want them to put them on introduction....They are not supporting in anyway, pretty much just showing up
    Posted by IFEFAD[/QUOTE]

If his parents aren't helping financially then you don't have to acknowledge them in any way on the invitation. My FI's parents aren't able to give us a whole lot of money but they are contributing some money. Let me know if you have any other questions. I don't mind helping.
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_name-fiances-introduction-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:8295dd58-c5af-4144-aecd-d6541274aedbPost:a88617c0-acba-4f5b-bf1b-12e8a6f14f2f">Re: HOW DO YOU HAVE YOUR INTRODUCTION ON THE INVITATION?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies.......I am just having a issue because his parents are not helping us financially and my parents are pretty much hosting everything so i dont want them to put them on introduction....They are not supporting in anyway, pretty much just showing up
    Posted by IFEFAD[/QUOTE]

<div>In that case I'd suggest you do:</div><div>
    </div><div>Bride's Parents</div><div>request the honor of your presence</div><div>at the marriage of their daughter</div><div>Bride's Name</div><div>to</div><div>Groom's Name</div><div>Date</div><div>Time</div><div>Venue</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>this way FI's parent's aren't on the invitation at all...</div><div>
    </div><div>HTH</div>
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • IFEFADIFEFAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies, I agree and feel like they do not need to be on the introduction. All they are doing is "showing up"....SMOOCHES TO YOU ALL
  • edited December 2011
    IFEFAD :  This is just a question... Please dont feel "obligated" to respond if you are not comfortable... But....Just because his parents are not financially contributing... is that a reason not to recognize them on the invitation?  Now, I don't know the proper etiquette regarding this, thats why I'm asking.
  • IFEFADIFEFAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Magnum,06

Its not even about the just the invitation. We have been engaged for over 5 months and his mother has not called me once. I called her at least 4 times, and have seen her once since we got engaged and it was by accident. I even called her on mother's day and did not get a response back.  His father has not called either or really reached out even to both of us. I don't think they have called my parents. My parents have reached out. The last time i talked to his was when he said to my fiance and i "I don't know why you are spending all that money on a wedding, when pretty much every marriage ends in divorce"....Not congrats so i told him that i would talk to him later and hung up on him......He knows how i feel and understands why i feel the way i do. He recently called his mother and told her that since she has not made an effort with much, she should not get mad that she is not being included in the planning process at all.
  • edited December 2011
    IFEFAD: "The last time i talked to his was when he said to my fiance and i "I don't know why you are spending all that money on a wedding, when pretty much every marriage ends in divorce"....

GOTCHA!!!!!

Hell NO!!!  Don't mention their azzes!!!  Daggone it... Don't even invite'm!!!

Who says that???  What kind of thing is that to say to somebody?, let alone your own son and his fiance???  WTH??!!! OMGoodness!!! I'm stunned speechless!!!!
  • IFEFADIFEFAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL, so now you know how i feel. I pretty much don't even care if they show at this point. Anyone that knows me knows that i dont bite my tongue so i think my fiance is scared of what i am going to say
  • edited December 2011
    Girl..... Rightfully so!!!!  I'd be scared of what I might say... and I dont even know the people!!!  OMGoodness!!!!

Dey KRAZY!!!!  Wit a K !!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I am new to the boards, but I had a similar problem with my own parents. They were not contributing to the wedding costs, so we put, " together with their parents"...yada yada yada and  They still got mad. ( or my mother rather) We didn't have to put that, but I did want to acknowledge our parents even tho neither are helping. But in the end, it's all up to you and your FI. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards