African American Weddings

Is anyone...

Having a  live band at their reception? Or been to a wedding that had one? I've never been to a wedding that had one, but when I look at some of the weddings that Cincy posts and there is a band it looks like it's sooo much fun....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is anyone...

• hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a few weddings with live bands and honestly it's not just my style, and thankfully FI feels the same way. Those weddings were fun, but it's never something I've envisioned for my wedding - I'll take a DJ over a live band any day. I just feel a DJ will provide more of a variety and play a wider selection of songs as opposed to a band that may have a smaller playlist
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:84d5c3e2-55b0-4c36-9096-2073bf9e04b6Post:1e52e399-851d-4f98-8a50-c29f389cdeb4">Re: Is anyone...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to a few weddings with live bands and honestly it's not just my style, and thankfully FI feels the same way. Those weddings were fun, but it's never something I've envisioned for my wedding - I'll take a DJ over a live band any day. I just feel a DJ will provide more of a variety and play a wider selection of songs as opposed to a band that may have a smaller playlist
    Posted by hatroopes[/QUOTE]

Gotch you...I've heard that bands are expensive too (in the thousands). I love the weddings I've been to with a DJ but like in my PP my opinion is biased because I've never been to a wedding that has had one...Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a friend's wedding this past October and her husband is Mexican American, so they had a live salsa band.  While it was fun to watch, it alienated all of the people who can't salsa (me included!), so I spent most of the reception sitting down and I was quite bored.  
    I had the option of having a live band for free because my uncle, who plays the saxophone, is in a really good band and they play a bunch of covers.  They're very entertaining, but a DJ has so much more variety.  I think he was a little upset that I didn't use his band, but I said, umm, can you guys play the Thong Song?  No?  Well then it's settled. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, we are having a live band (9 people) that play almost everything from Motown, pop, Jazz, R&B, Ole school. And we hired a DJ that will play while the band takes breaks. Bands are very expensive ours cost $6,000.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_anyone-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:84d5c3e2-55b0-4c36-9096-2073bf9e04b6Post:44d7b27f-1fa6-4207-8c2f-f0a3df2dd341">Re: Is anyone...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was in a friend's wedding this past October and her husband is Mexican American, so they had a live salsa band.  While it was fun to watch, it alienated all of the people who can't salsa (me included!), so I spent most of the reception sitting down and I was quite bored.   I had the option of having a live band for free because my uncle, who plays the saxophone, is in a really good band and they play a bunch of covers.  They're very entertaining, but a DJ has so much more variety.  I think he was a little upset that I didn't use his band, but <strong>I said, umm, can you guys play the Thong Song? </strong> No?  Well then it's settled. 
    Posted by kiyamurph[/QUOTE]

HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not, but if it was in our budget, we may have considered it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding last summer that had a live band. They are a really popular band out of baltimore and they were really good. However, it wasn't music that would make me want to get up and dance (although I think I did b/c I had been drinking, but thats another story). I would much rather hear the actual song by the actual artist, not a cover of the song. I hate that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards