African American Weddings
Options

No Means NO!

Okay, so last Friday I went with my MOH to order her dress.  While we were there she decided to aask if she could bring her kids to the wedding?  With my sore throat and headache, I told her no and explained how FI and I didn't want kids at the wedding.  She asked if his 3 kids were attending?  I said he would like that they could but considering the drama with ex wife I highly doubt it.  That was her way of trying to add her kids.  I had to basicaly break it down to her that I am paying $49 a head.  Are you all experiencing this?  People bugging you about bringing their kids to the wedding?  Then MOH decided well what if they come only to the ceremony.  NO DAMMIT!  That is what I wanted to say.  As a parent why would you want to bring your kids to a wedding?  Wouldn't you want to have a date noight with you man?  OMG!  And I thought planning a small wedding would be smooth sailing.

Re: No Means NO!

• Options
    TINAMMTINAMM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had this issue with my sisters kids, we are having a DW and she put on her rsvp her name/her dates name + 5kids! I snapped. She wasn't supposed to come in the first place and then you wanna bring your bad behind kids?! Turned out she was just joking but I was in no joking mood 40+ days from my wedding.

My DH and I have kids and our kids will be there because we are renewing our vows and they are a part of us, also we invited the children of the couple we have become great friends with since we moved here and their 2 girls are angels.

My Dh said his 2 brothers were bringing our nephew and our niece, which was cool with me as long as I am not going to have to babysit them ( I do not like my BIL's babymom's so they were not and are not invited)

So we did plan on having around 10 kids but it may end up only being 7 or 8. As a couple unless it was an immediate family members wedding I would not bring our kids and even then I probably wouldn't. We are not paying anywehre near what you are per head so I totally understand, my BFF is one of my MOH and she knew without asking her  kids were not invited and they are not coming.

Just keep reminding eveyone that kids are not welcome and if they cannt come because of it youll miss them but the show will go on. GL
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I were talking about this last night, because I really, really don't want to be bothered with kids at the wedding.  I told him that one of the knotties (TINAMM) very nicely addressed the envelopes to make the point that the individuals stated on the RSVP cards and the envelope are the people that are invited, and somehow people don't get the hint.  So I told him that I was tempted to just type on the invitation, no kids allowed.  And he was just like no.  But you know what.  I'm like you PAWDAP, this wedding ish is too expensive.  And I think that you have a right to say that you don't want children at your wedding.  And I just love how you MOH decided to ask if your FI's kids were going to be there, if they were there, so what!  It's your wedding you can dictate who you want to be there, damnit!  I'm like you, why wouldn't you want a break from your kids.  Hire a freakin' babysitter.  I'm getting pissed off now.  I need a drink.
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Luckily most of our friends don't have kids. Those that do know kids give me the hives and have correctly assumed they need to find a babysitter.

Tamtam what we did besides addressing the envelopes to just the adults was include an enclosure card.  In addition to a card for directions, we had a general things to know card that had our wedding website, the dress code and a sentence that this is an adults only wedding.  That's a good way to make it clear without putting it on your invite.  I also put the information on the website on the page with all the important wedding details. 
  • Options
    jlstewartjlstewart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took it a step further and put the names of those invited on the RSVP card and stated the number of seats reserved. Has this stopped people from trying to add additional folks? NO. I am also having a destination wedding (Las Vegas) so everybody is trying to invite somebody. The gall of some folks is just amazing. One couple wants to bring their adult daughter and her two children as a belated sweet 16 for the granddaughter. How is a trip to Vegas appropriate for a 16 year old? When we politely told the daughter that we had limited space at the wedding and the reception so the kids were not invited.
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ OFF, that's a good idea.  I'll have to do that myself.  That's funny that kids give you the hives. LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your response. I thought for a second that I was asking for too much.  Anyhow, FI already said that he will not be going for that I am inviting more people so at the wedding if people try to invite more guests they will be asked to leave.  As for the kids, I just don't want to have to worry about somebody elses kid because they are too busy partying. 

Thanks Ladies! I appreciate your advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards