African American Weddings

Is 9 too old for a Flower Girl?

I have a dilemma! My cousin would be 9 at the time of the wedding and has never been a flower girl before. She wants to be a flower girl so bad, so I didn't see it as a problem. The issue comes in because I of course want our daughter who will be 2 to be a flower girl (no petals) and my God-daughter who will be 4 as well. I pictured my cousin tossing the petals and the 2 younger ones having the pomander balls and just walk behind her / or in front of her.  We have a 200 person guest list and I have 6 bridesmaids.

Is 3 too many? If so, is 9 too old and should I just have her as a Jr. BM?
image180 Made the cut!
image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
image 7 Found something else to do
image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image

Re: Is 9 too old for a Flower Girl?

• edited December 2011
    To me, three is too many BUT Im also not a fan of many children in the wedding party. The nine year old would be perfect BC she can perform and sit still during the ceremony. Younger children are so unpredictable and may just say eff it and not cooperate causing disruption to the ceremony. I'm also one of those people who is HUGE on preserving tthe sacredness of my ceremony ... I wouldn't even allow anyone who isn't saved and who can't be trusted to hold me accountable in marriage in my wedding party. As a result I only have two bridesmaids. Of course in the end you make the decision based on your vision and you know better than anyone else what may or may not work. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm... I think a 9 y/o FG would be okay by herself or 3 FG would be okay if they were about the same age, but I think the issue is more that they are such different ages.  IMO I would make the 9 y/o a Jr BM and make the 2 younger ones FG OR have the 9 y/o pull the two younger ones in a wagon or something. I don't think it will be a big deal if you have 3 though, just giving you some ideas and my 2 cents :-)       
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think 9 is too old, my twin neices are my FG's and they will be 9.  I am going to have them wear white dresses with colored sashes and then my 3 year old God daughter will be in all white.

I personally like seeing the older kids cause they actually do their jobs lol The babies are usually all over the place....

Here's a pic I found onlin and these girls are adorable.

• edited December 2011
    My FG's were my 10 and 7year old nieces and they were adorable.

ETA...because they were older, I didnt have them carry the 'flower basket' and sprinkle flowers onto the aisle runner. We had them carry pomadour balls that matched the BM's bouquets.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Nope not too old or too many.  I had 3 flowergirls(6 and two 8 and half year olds) My girls carried ribbon pomadour balls since they wouldn't be able to sprinkle flowers.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I hope not cause my FG will be 10 at the time of the wedding! I think it will be fine but IMO yes three might be too many BUT I also didn't even want FG's to begin with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker www.derilandtekoah.com
  • edited December 2011
    My Flower Girl will be 9 when i get married and i think its a perfect age. She knows exactly what to do and will do it right. 
  • edited December 2011
    Your combination is fine.....I would definitely have your niece behind the younger ones.
  • msktn95msktn95 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it will be ok.  My niece is nine and she was going to be my flower girl, but my cousin's did not buy a her daughter a dress, so I had to move my neice to Jr. maid. My flower girl is eight.  I like the idea of older children better. Its hard getting younger children to cooperate.  My ring bearer is 5, I am hoping he cooperates. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest image image BabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsSmith2Be02MrsSmith2Be02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cool thanks! Yes I really wanted to make sure my daughter who will be 2 in the wedding party. She probably won't cooperate much, but instead I have the other 2 there as well.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • edited December 2011
    I have a 9 yr old(FI niece) and 2 yr old as my flower girls and 10yr old(my only nephew) and 4yr old as ringbearers.  I am labeling them as BIG and LITTLE'S.  The BIGS to walk down together joined in at arms and the LITTLES will be doing their thing, as long as they make it down the aisle...lol!  I don't believe in JR nothing so that is not an option for us.  I feel people do that to try and squeeze more people in the wedding party. Just my opinion.
    So NO, 9 is not to big.  The great thing about weddings is there is no set way of doing anything.  If that is what ou want, then 3 flower girls it is :)
    Best wishes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards