Washington-Seattle

Arbor or chuppah?

I love this picture. But is it an arbor or a chuppah. I am not Jewish and certain snotty women at my wedding would totally point and laugh if it was. No offence to at all to Jewish people, they are just the kind of women who live off other peoples wrong doings. I really love it though so if it is or resembles one too much what can I change to make it an arbor?

Re: Arbor or chuppah?

• edited December 2011
    Honestly, I love the look of chuppahs over arbors, but that's just me.  I'm not Jewish, but to me it looks like a chuppah.  I say if you like it, go for it - screw the ladies who plan to attend and point and laugh at you.  If I was a guest at your wedding and was in a conversation with such a person who would make fun of you at your wedding, I would leave the discussion immediately.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with tygirl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i like chuppahs too and wanted to do one forever. it looks really cool and its your wedding, do what you want. tell those ladies to shove it.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chuppahs, canopies, arches, etc., they can all look the same but it is called a chuppah only if it is for a Jewish wedding. I think traditionally a chuppah should have four poles and a fabric canopy, but that doesn't mean all decorative elements that look that way are chuppahs. Does that make sense?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for clarifying Melissa.  I think it looks beautiful Alyssa, you should go for it.  I am thinking of doing a bamboo canopy as well.
  • amylbellamylbell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Tygirl and the ladies..that is soooooooo pretty and if your not Jewish it's a compliment to the Jewish faith......tell these chicks to talk your the Knotties and we'll set em straight!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs. I think Melissa's description is apt. If those biitchy ladies snark, snark back that it's too bad they don't know a canopy from a chuppah! According to Wikipedia, it's the Jewishnes that makes it a chuppah as opposed to a four-poled canopy :D
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • alyssa324alyssa324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ahh you girls are awesome! I'm doing it :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yay!!! Smile
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

I'm renting a chuppah.  I'm not Jewish, however, I love the symbolism of home and God.  There's a lady in Milton that rents one.  Let me know if you are interested, I'll pass her info along.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards