African American Weddings
Options

WTF FFIL!!!

Yes, the FFIL called FI last night and said he would liek to invite a few people to the wedding.  Ok, so first you have to understand that FI just started to work on developing a relationship with his Dad over the past year as he was not around while FI was growing up.  Ok, so FI has three siblings on his Dad's side that he has no relationship with (Other than random calls..usually annually....yup, like a physical).  FI stated early on he was not inviting them because of the lack of relationship.  Well, his dad wants to invite the 3 sibling AND there children and his mother (FFIL's mother, also no relationship with FI......he actually refers her to her by her first name).  Guess what, the few people ended up being an entire table....best part..FFIL said he would pay for them all!?  Really?  Anywho, FI said he is telling his dad tomorrow that the invite is extended to him and his wife.  We'll see.  FI said he believes his dad wil bring them anyway....sheesh....I want no broohaha at the wedding!! 

Re: WTF FFIL!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, that's a tricky and complicated situation.  I totally understand FI's position - why invite people to your wedding that you don't know personally.  Your wedding is a celebration of love between the two of you that you are sharing with people WHO LOVE and SUPPORT each of you - not a backyard bbq where you add on folks cuz you wanna show off (this statement is intended for FFIL not your FI).

I believe you should support your FI's decision on whichever way he decides how to handle this situation and not get involved.  If he decides to let FFIL add these individuals to the headcount, that's fine but FFIL needs to pay up for those add'l individuals NOW so that you two can make sure the caterer is well informed.  However, if FI sticks to his original decision not to extend the invitation to his long-lost siblings and their 'crew', even better because ulimately it is FI's decision to make NOT his dad, i.e. - FFIL....that's my $.02 on the matter...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards