African American Weddings

Need some inspiration!!!

Hey ladies,

My FI and I are both from NYC and I'm trying to figure out how to incoporate that somehow into our wedding. I know his cousin took postcards from NY for her wedding and had guests sign the back of them. I thought that was a cool idea but I want to do something different.

Since the wedding's in Jamaica, I thought it would be funny/interesting to name our signature drink "New Yorkers on Vacation" since it's a mojito and since we'd be in the Caribbean. FI looked at me like I was crazy but at least I'm trying, lol. Please help!

Re: Need some inspiration!!!

• Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll also post this on the NYC board but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say first.
  • edited December 2011
    How's this:

Name your drinks after where you're from in NY, so for me, I'd name a drink the Bronx Bomber...Being that the yankees won, can you do NY tees...Get tote bags & iron on- I love NY...let me continue to think.
  • tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the name of your signature drink!!!!  I also like the pp suggestion.  Another thought is coming into the reception to that Jay-z and Alicia Keys song Empire State of Mind.  I really like that song.  If I were from NY I would come into that song.  Maybe you could name your tables after well known sights and landmarks in New York.
  • Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great ideas! I wanted to name table numbers after NY landmarks but FI's cousin did that also :(

I wanted to play off the fact that FI's from Brooklyn and I'm from Queens. There's always a rivalry between boroughs, lol. But it's all good, I love any and all ideas.
  • edited December 2011
    I def like naming the drinks after the boroughs!!! Maybe a Queens Quick Sip, a Brooklyn ( depending on what part of bk he's from) Bender, Manhattan Mojito. I hope these help!!
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love MIA's name suggestions! Very cute.  Also, DST's I heart NY totes sound super cute for OOT bags....

What about naming the tables after specific places that are importatnt to you? FI and my 1st date was at Heritage Park, we'd name one table after that. So it is specific to NY, but more specific to your relationship :)

I know a lot of women don't agree with me on this, but you can't ALWAYS be original. If you like the idea, who cares who else did it... Do what you like. If you like the idea of naming the tables after places in NY, go for it! You only get 1 wedding.... (plus people probably wouldn't even notice it was done at her wedding too)
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I love all of the ideas!  Very creative, ladies.  You could also put NYC fridge magnets in the OOT bags and use the postcards as placecards on the tables, filling in the guest's name where the mailing address is located and your name and FI's name on the other side.  Also, each guest could get an I heart NY button (a really small one) as they enter the wedding/reception venue.  The tables could be named for boroughs, famous streets, and/or famous NYC landmarks.  Maybe even famous New Yorkers?
  • edited December 2011
    I love the ideas listed already...I actually was all set to suggest that you name the tables after your fave places in NYC, but someone already looked out for you on that.

Are you having a guest book of some sort? Maybe you could do a photo book of pictures of you and your FI all over the city and have guest sign that...or you could have a frame-worth sketch of the skyline done for guests to sign.

Or maybe you could take pictures with your FI at you favorite places around the city holding a different sign in each (either of a number or the name of the location) and use those as table numbers/names.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Panda16Panda16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for your ideas! Love them all! I don't mind getting souveniers from NY. I don't live there anymore but I could ask someone to pick them up and ship them to me or bring them down for me.

I may stick to the drink idea I originally made up also, because I just think it's funny, lol. I would also put up a sign explaining why we named the drink the way we did.

I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards