Interfaith Weddings

Islamic/Christian marriage

My fiance and I are both African American.  He however is muslim.  I'm leaning more in the direction of a traditional Islamic ceremony but I am open to ideas combining the two. 

Re: Islamic/Christian marriage

• edited January 2012
    My fiance and I are both African American.  He however is muslim.  I'm leaning more in the direction of a traditional Islamic ceremony but I am open to ideas combining the two. 
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    Who knows. Maybe she did, and TK decided to put it here.
  • You don't have to be in hijab to have the nikah. The nikah is just the signing ceremony. You'll probably need the imam to act as your wali (guardian) because in a wedding, the guardian has to sign off for you giving you permission to wed. This simply means that there are witnesses showing you consent to the marriage. Then there are a couple short prayers. Then he basically asks the "do you take X in marriage?" question. You should say "I accept *fiance's name* as my husband". NEVER just say "I do". Well, you can but they may prompt you further. Both of you say a full statement to show cognitive recognition that you're getting married. Islam is very safe in any legal proceeding... they want full verification over and over. After that, a couple more duas, signing, and TA DA! Done. It's really that short. The walima (like the reception only the day after and typically from afternoon well into the evening) is like the reception. I'd plan on a Friday nikah/wedding.

As far as combining Christian elements... as long as you're not using anything that had its start in paganistic origin (like bridesmaids, which started with pagans trying to confuse evil spirits trapped here... or cake cutting as a celebration, which started with Greek mythology) then it's fine. You can have a bouquet, you can have a 'reception', you can have the big poofy white dress (I'm Muslim and found a hijabified one even), you can decorate galore with flowers. Just anything involved in the wedding referring to Jesus as more than a prophet would be considered shirk and invalidate the nikah. And you won't be able to find an imam willing to even be associated with the event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards