Interfaith Weddings

Have Catholic and Hindu Ceremonies?

Did you hold (or will you hold) Hindu and Catholic ceremonies?

Did you throw them on the same day? same weekend? or a couple days, weeks, or even months apart from each other?

Did it matter which came first? Which one did you have (or will you have) first?

Was your Catholic priest receptive to you participating in both ceremonies?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Have Catholic and Hindu Ceremonies?

• edited December 2011

I am actually having a catholic and Sikh wedding. And my brother had the same thing 3 years ago. He didn't get any grieve from anyone on doing both and he did the sikh ceremony in the morning followed by indian food then there was a break for the bride and bridesmaids to get their hair and make up done before the church ceremony. It also gave time for the groom to shave off his beard (if you plan on doing the beard). Then the reception followed right after the church ceremony. It worked out great and he got it over with all in one day! I plan on doing the same. The only trouble I'm having is finding locations that are all close to each other. :)

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad that you're getting more help here than when you posted on the Catholic Bride board!

The superficial things I mentioned were all I could think of.  But then, I didn't shoot you down either!

I'm very happy that you & your FI have found a way to do your ceremony the way you want!

GL
  • edited December 2011
    We're going to do them both on the same day. because we didn't want two anniversary dates! We also felt like having them on different days would diminish the importance of the second ceremony.

We're having the Hindu ceremony first. because the outfit will be more elaborate and it will take longer to dress. After the ceremony we'll have cocktails and appetizers for the guests while we go change and then have the Catholic ceremony.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a Christian and Hindu ceremony. We are having both on the same day. I'm doing the Christian ceremony first, and then the hindu ceremony in the evening. We don't have much time, but we are planning the Christian ceremony at 2pm, and then pics from 3-4 or so, and get ready for the Hindu ceremony 4-5:30, then hindu ceremony 5:30-6:30 and the reception starting at 7:30pm with a cocktail hour from 6:30-7:30. We have a pastor who is fine with us participating in both ceremonies. The hindu priest is also aware and fine with it. Hope that helps!
  • melyta81melyta81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi im going to have a catholic and hindu ceremony in cabo but different day..

by any change do you have a contact for a hindu priest??? we suspossed to fly to cabo one from LA. but i dont know what happend with the priest that we contact because he didnt reply back our mails, calls and nothing since a month and a half...
    we need to find somebody :(
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to many interfaith weddings... for the most part in the weee early morning hours, most of the couples had the Catholic wedding at the altar with very close friends and family.... later in the afternoon (same day) they had the Hindu cerermony, and in the evening the reception...  There are definite pros and cons to having things done the same weekend, in relations to guests flying out and locations, everything is completed within one weekend...  

Hope that helps!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't decided exactly how I am going to do our ceremony. We are going to talk with his mother and see how important it is to have a hindu wedding. My fiance is not religious, but his mother is, and if it is very important to her, we want our marriage to show respect to her.

As it stands right now, I think we will have the Catholic ceremony first, then have the hindu ceremony. I like the mendhi with a sari, but with a traditional white dress, I think it dretracts from the simplicity and the clean lines.

We will also probablly be holding the ceremonies in different cities: one in middle-of-nowhere-california so that all of my family can be there, and then one closer to San Fransisco where his family lives. We will also be better able to get a brahmin and generally have more vendors to choose from in San Fransisco.

But that's just what I am thinking right now. We will talk to his mother and see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards