Interfaith Weddings

Catholic/Hindu/Other

I'm Catholic and my my future husband-to-be is agnostic but his family is very much Hindu. I just can't figure out how to bring in Hindu elements that would naturally flow with the ceremony. I'm already not wearing the sari or red nor are we doing the whole entrance ceremony on horse/elephant since we'll be at the location well before any guests start to arrive.

I know about having to walk 7 steps around a flame but fire isn't permitted so a bit stuck. Suggestions? Ideas? Comments? =) thanks

Re: Catholic/Hindu/Other

• brettdresseurbrettdresseur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you haven't chosen your colors yet, maybe you could choose colors that represent the Hindu religion (so to speak). Pick rich reds,  golds or yellows as your colors. Maybe your bridesmaids could wear something like a bindi or some fantastic jewellery from india. You can also choose beaded linens or maybe have little placecards in the shape of an elephant or the Taj Mahal. Ah, what about using hanging flowers as your centerpieces.

I'm just grasping here, I've never been to a Hindu wedding, but I have seen a lot of Indian weddings on Platinum weddings. Hope this helps!
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would incorporate some of the more fun traditions, like a mehndi night or a sanji - they are fun and can be catered to your tastes. Ask your Mother in Law for help - she can be a great source. Using some of those rich colors (whites, creams, golds, reds) is a great idea. Incorporate some traditional jewelry with your dress. Try to incorporate all the cultures - it'll give you an advantage with your future in-laws and it is a beautiful hertiage.
  • lildevi15lildevi15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand your dilemma! My FI is from Germany and I'm Indian. . .it's been hard to merge German traditions into a traditional Hindu wedding.  I think we're going to end up doing a German celebration the night before (Polterabend), much like Sonali suggested having a Sangeet or Mendhi.

Could you walk your 7 steps around the unity candle?  I feel as if the symbolism of the 7 steps is something that can be appreciated by anyone and would make his family very happy if it's incorporated.

Do you have food savvy guests - Indian food is a great way to incorporate the traditions during the reception!  Your appetizers could be samosas, pakora, etc.  Would you be comfortable changing into a lengha or sari midway through the reception? I've seen wardrobe changes happen in many interculteral weddings.

Also Hinduism is full of symbols (Om, Ganesh, lotus) that would make great accents on invites, programs, favors etc.
  • SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah - and the colors! Rich yellows, oranges, reds, creams, golds...use our colors, use ice sculputres of Ganesh or Radha and Krishna in your ceremony. Bring in more exotic flowers like birds of paradise. Try to be creative. Of course, the food IS the biggest way you can incorporate Indian culture...I agree with the above poster. Why not even try to do sheikh kebabs or individual shooters of kulfi (Indian ice cream) in a fun flavor of saffron or pistachio? Get creative and try to use both cultures - they are both so beautiful!
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings-1_catholichinduother?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:429Discussion:b1bf1fa5-8dbd-40be-842d-167d5f958ab2Post:91157e90-86ed-4e23-ac69-8a2a51a005c3">Catholic/Hindu/Other</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm Catholic and my my future husband-to-be is agnostic but his family is very much Hindu. I just can't figure out how to bring in Hindu elements that would naturally flow with the ceremony. I'm already not wearing the sari or red nor are we doing the whole entrance ceremony on horse/elephant since we'll be at the location well before any guests start to arrive. I kn<strong>ow about having to walk 7 steps around a flame but fire isn't permitted so a bit stuck. Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?</strong> =) thanks
    Posted by Krystal Lee Sousa[/QUOTE]

I know this was a while ago, but , we were in a temple where fire wasn't permitted, but we compromised on getting something called firelog / low flame log, which has a low flame, is green for the environment and doesn't give smoke, but the flames are real, and not electric.  If that doesn't work, what about candles? 

As for the elephant/horse thing, we couldn't do that either because of the location. So we got a dhol player, and that brought the baraat (the groom's side) into the temple.  I was hidden away in a room (pretty close by) until the pandits (priests) were ready for the entrance,.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • kimceluskimcelus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also suggest trying to incorporate some of their food. My future husband is Hindu and I am American and Catholic we are doing it all...but we found we little things like adding in Indian Desserts at the Catholic Rehearsal dinner have been a nice touch and have exposed my family members to the his culture. We also have included some of his cousins in the Catholic Wedding party. These two elements have help us join our two weddings.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is Jain (similar to Hindu) and we are having a secular American-style ceremony, but we are also adding certain other aspects that reflect his culture:

- Mehndi night
    - Some Indian touches to my wedding dress - bangles, possibly Indian slippers for shoes
    - FOOD!  Samosas, sweet shots of kheer (rice pudding), mango signature drink, an Indian buffet, etc.
    - A post-wedding puja
    - Indian music
    - Henna-inspired stationery

Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Wearing henna is a nice touch - not necessarily both of your hands/arms, but maybe a small design on your palm.

If you aren't going to take the seven steps, maybe you could have a Hindu priest say a short prayer. You could also place flower garlands around each other's necks at the end of the ceremony.

Nisha
    http://redsariwhitedress.blogspot.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards