South Asian Weddings

Mangalsutra

The post below made me think of this...for those of you getting a mangalsutra-are you going to wear it everyday? I only ask bc I wanted to get a mangalsutra, but I knew I would wear it everyday.
ExerciseMilestone

Re: Mangalsutra

• edited December 2011
    You may actually be referring to one of my posts.  I'm going to get a simple chain with a few black beads on it to wear everyday, but I won't wear the bigger mangalsutra I get at the wedding everyday.
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a terrible Hindu!  I don't wear it ever.  Since the wedding, I've only worn it once and I'll probably only wear it for indian/religious functions.  My mom doesn't wear hers everyday anymore.  She'll wear it for any indian related event though, whether it just be a simple family party or a more elaborate wedding.  MIL also doesn't wear hers.  If you're planning on wearing it everyday, I'd go for a simple one with a thinner gold chain (white gold if you can find it, unless you like/wear yellow gold daily)
  • edited December 2011
    I asked FI to get me a short one in white gold so that i could wear it everyday but now i am not sure i will be. It will have depend on how it looks like with work wear.
  • erin&andyerin&andy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm... I would love to wear mine everyday, but the one my FMIL got me is HUGE.  It's like two big gold discs.  I'll probably try it out and see how difficult it is to wear it and then maybe get a smaller one if it's too much.  But I love that she's giving me a replica of her set.  Super cute!
  • edited December 2011
    I would really like to wear mine everyday but will have to get one made that I like in white gold if they will let me. The one they got is pretty Indian and definitely not something I could wear everyday with regular clothing -- it's two gold discs as well and really GOLD. Symbolically I think it would be nice to wear one everyday but not sure how practical it is or of I can get one made that I like and still call it a mangalsutra.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry I meant to sat, I would NOT wear it everyday. I didn't know if it would even make sense for me to get one if I didn't wear it on a daily basis. Thanks ladies-glad to see I am not the only one!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I got one but I am not sure if I will wear it everyday or not. I had to fight my relatives to get a thin gold chain instead of the big fat one they were all insisting on - and then my aunt bought two HUGE round discs instead of the tiny ones my mom asked her to buy. Replacement (aka smaller discs) are on their way from India so once I see them, I can see if I can wear it on a daily basis. My mother and all the other women in my family wear theirs everyday, so does my FMIL. I know one FSIL doesn't wear hers everyday so at least I know my FILs can't be critical if I choose not to.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm planning on getting a short mangalsutra with either no pendant or a tiny pendant that I will wear frequently, but probably not every day.
  • katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm the same as others, will wear it as much as possible so long as its reasonable.  I have no idea what mine will look like because I have been asking FI for months if he knows if they'll be giving me a necklace and he said he didn't know but "they're always talking what all they're getting you from India."  I of course beg that he pays attention to these most important details - presents!  But to no avail.  Last night I said, do you know if there will be a mangalsutra and he said "ohhh I have no idea what that is but they keep saying that word."  men.  sigh  ;)
  • dee23dee23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MIL expects me to wear it on special occassions only.  And she bought me matching earrings so that I can wear it as a set.  I thought that was a great idea and super thoughtful. 
  • egoego
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got the simplest shortest gold one in the indian jewelry store with no pendant. I wear it about once a week to work or out depending on whether it looks good with my outfit.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm expected to wear it all the time.  I hate yellow gold, so I was lucky & got a platinum-dipped one made.I have the smallest possible pendant on it that slides.  I can slide everything to the back and put a regular pendant on it.  I sent it back several times until they got it right.Can you tell it is a mangalasutra in the second picture?? Haha, I go in disguise!sorry these are so big... I don't know how to make them smaller in PIP!
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Veena - that was a great idea!  Your thaali looks great!  I do feel bad that I don't wear mine, but it's super thick yellow gold with the black beads and unmovable pendant.  Just not practical for everyday wear.  BTW - beautiful picture!!
  • katie978katie978 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, super great idea, veena!  thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited December 2011
    Veena, your mangalsutra looks great! I'd love to have a platinum dipped one, although I can hear the howls of outrage from my family already!
  • MeeraRCMeeraRC member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother made me promise that I would wear mine often since she is giving me her mother's chain. I am a bit worried b/c it is yellow gold and quite thick. But I am very grateful that I get an heirloom, so I cannot complain.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards