South Asian Weddings

gujarat shopping? / ritu kumar prices?

Didn't see anything listed on the SA bio page.  Any suggestions for places to shop in Gujarat near Ahmedebad?Also, I plan to visit the Ritu Kumar boutique in Delhi.  What should I expect as far as price range for salwar kameez, lehngas and saris?  Any info appreciated.  We're trying to create a budget.  Thanks!

Re: gujarat shopping? / ritu kumar prices?

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about India prices, but I know the Ritu Kumar lehenga's in Edison were well over $4K.  I imagine India will be cheaper, but I'm sure they would still be at least $2-3K range, depending on what you're looking for.You can also go to ritukumar.com.  Some prices are listed for salwar kameez but most you have to contact them for pricing.  Of the ones where prices are visible, some were in the $200 range and other exceeded $500.
  • edited December 2011
    The Ritu Kumar in Delhi (GK1) was quite reasonable compared to what I would expect. I only looked at lehngas and their range was $900 to $1500 or so. My lehnga was quite heavy and I paid about that much. I would think the salwar kameez's would be cheaper but the sarees would probably also fall in that range.
  • edited December 2011
    I went shopping in Ahmedabad.  I went to Kala Niketan where I got my panetar.  I did not look for any Ritu Kumar, so I cannot comment on it.  I had a beautiful panetar from Kala Niketan that I think was about $300.  The prices were great there. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to Ahmedabad in November for some of my shopping!  (As well as Delhi and Bombay)  Last time I was there, I picked up some saris and lenghas from Mona Vora and Aparajita.  Other places I looked were Shyamal Bhumika and Krishna Mehta (I thought both were expensive for what you get but they're designer brands).On previous visits, I've gone to Bhandej, Aso Palav, Deepkala and basically any place on CG road that catches my eye.  I've also heard about Anshu's but each time I've gone into the store I haven't been impressed.  When are you headed out there?
  • krivitskrivits member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just stopped by Ritu Kumar in Edison today and there were some heavily beaded bridal lehngas for around 1500-2000 and there was a 50% sale sign above all the racks. I never got around to actually negotiating since I was just checking out stuff and the ILs will likely buy in India.
  • edited December 2011
    I visited Ritu Kumar in Calcutta when I did my shopping last year.  I bought a heavy churdidar suit from there for about $600 and it was on the high end of pricing.  Like Meghana mentioned above, the Ritu Kumar lenghas in Edison are VERY highly marked up when compared to India prices.  I believe lenghas were typically between $1k and $2k.  $2k being the extremely heavy lenghas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards