South Asian Weddings
Options

Fusion weddings?

Hi all!!

I am new to this forum, so I figured I would just tell a little about my story first! I am Caucasian-American, and my fiance is Hindu/Sikh Indian (but born/raised in the US). We got engaged last month, but are taking our time planning the weddings since I am in school and his brother is getting married this year. I just have a general question of either 1) how did people create a fusion wedding, or did they just do two ceremonies? or 2) were there any bumps along the way you weren't expecting in a fusion (Caucasian-Indian) wedding?

Thanks ladies!

Re: Fusion weddings?

• Options
    Congratulations on your engagement and welcome!

I am also American and married to an Indian, and there are quite a few girls on this forum with a similar situation.

To answer your questions, we had two ceremonies.  However, DH is from India and his whole family is there, so we really had to have something there.  If he had been brought up here it might have been different because his relatives could have attended the wedding here and we would have probably done some kind of fusion wedding.

There are lots of bumps in planning any wedding, but especially when you have multiple cultures involved.  Each of our mothers felt that it was her wedding and she should have it her way.  Some particular areas that were issues were food, clothing, and cultural expectations (which are too many to list).  I would say that you should pick the structure of the wedding (either fusion or two ceremonies) to cover the important "needs" of each side.  Expect that you will have to manage the bumps and complaints, but don't worry about the details too much ahead of time.
  • Options
    We are actually doing two weddings on two consecutive days instead of one fusion wedding.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations! We are doing a fusion wedding and so far everything is going really well. What you need to remember is that both sets of families will have to get used to the idea that it won't be the wedding they always imagined. We wanted a fusion because that is what our relationship and our mariage will be. We are never going to live separate lives so didn't want separate weddings either.

I am caucasian-canadian and my fiancé is from bangladesh (grew up in Canada). We have been stressing from the beginning that our wedding will be different, we are incorporating tradition from both cultures. We are getting married in October so there is still lots of time so I will keep you posted about any obstacles :)

All the best!!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Congrats on your engagement!

I'm American (white) and he's Indian, but he's also in India.  It's looking like we're going to have a wedding in India, and then at a future date have a vow renewal in America for my family and friends (I'm moving to India). 

But also, ours wont' be as fusion as most, because he and his parents are both Christian and he lived in America when he was young, so we're having a Christian style wedding. It won't be that different from an American wedding, though there are of couse some cultural differences.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Options
    I'm glad there are other ladies here to get advice from!! Blue, we're also thinking about doing two consecutive weddings, and just incoporate some traditions into both! Do you know how you guys are doing it yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards