South Asian Weddings

Re: buying lengha online

• i have been giving this alot of thought too -- i have bought a handful of cute american dresses online without any issues -- but for some reason indian dresses online seems too risky to me. i think the sizing/fit/fall of the material on you is super important and something you can only tell once you have it on you. also with online they usually only show one angle of the garment -- and people are going to be seeing you from every direction.

i also went to edison last weekend to look at some options -- didn't find anything i loved especially for the price.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_buying-lengha-online?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:331b8960-91da-4729-b428-6d1264fa30c4Post:b4d05dfa-48b0-421f-b7f5-a1e00e170a59">buying lengha online</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone bought their wedding sari or lengha online? I went to some stores and I was shocked at the prices I got - 2500 for a lengha. I found very similar ones on sareez.com and utsav for half the price and even less. The one I am most interested in is listed for 1000 actually. I imagine it can be nervewracking to buy something you haven't tried on but I am starting to panick at the prices I am getting at the stores in Edison. If you were to buy online would you recommend buying it stiched or not stitching? It's only 20 dollars extra. I want to go with a lengha not a sari and I normally wear a size 36 which would need some alterations to take in some areas. I have ordered online for regular outfits but never anything like this.
    Posted by lshaker77[/QUOTE]
  • artikaurartikaur member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    After my terrible experience buying clothes online from India, I just had to respond to this post. For my cousin's wedding a few years ago, my sister and I decided to buy some outfits at Utsav online because we thought there's more selection, and better pricing. We had terrible communication issues with Utsav. They took forever to ship out outfits to us, and the outfits they did send were not stitched very well. One of the outfits was also obviously not made to size. If I recall, I think my sister also had an issue with a zipper on her lengha.

Bottom line is, there's a reason why they are so cheap. Their customer service (or lack thereof) will make you scream with frustration. And the outfits that they deliver are not worth the money at all.

My sister and I would have been better served just spending the extra in Edison. There may not be as much variety, and it is certainly overpriced, but at least you know what you're getting, and when you will be getting it.

For my own wedding, there is no way in hell I'd buy anything online from Utsav, or any other online Indian clothing store. God alone knows what they'd send you, or when they'd send it to you.

I think for less than $2000 you can get a nice bridal outfit at Edison.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards