South Asian Weddings

suggestions for wearing the dupatta

Hi Girls!

Can't believe my wedding is only a month away.  So know I'm starting to freak out about dupatta, how are you guys draping it?  I must admitt mine is quite heavy and i'm not sure how to place it for the ceremony. I am not have a traditional indian lady doing my make up so, it's just my mother, sister in law and I.

I am plus minus on having my hair covered during the ceremony.

Any suggestions?

Re: suggestions for wearing the dupatta

• edited December 2011
    i think you should definitely wear the dupatta on your head...you're not a bride unless you do! (just my opinion)...  if you don't have or won't be able to get a lighter veil, you can still wear the heavy one on your head... the trick is to sew in a sturdy comb on the underside (use thread that matches the dupatta color or thin fishing line which is clear) so then you won't have to rely on bobby pins on the outside, which are both unsightly and not super secure.  if your dupatta is super duper heavy, then in addition to the comb you need to put at least one side of the dupatta pinned up to your shoulder or kind of looped up and pinned somewhere on your upper back to take some of the weight off, then you can leave the other side free-flowing and it looks very traditional and beautiful! hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    oh yeah, and having your hair done securely will also help immensly in keeping the dupatta on... make sure your hair has some kind of texture where you will place the comb, such as teased roots, braids, secure twists, etc...
  • chaudhryschaudhrys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • sovinasovina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey

If you need more ideas on how to drape the dupatta, you can check out my blog 

I  have done  a separate section on different style of draping the dupatta.

Sovina
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards