South Asian Weddings

Foods banned from your wedding

What's the one thing you absolutely do not want to see on any menu for your wedding functions? We all have one thing in mind that's either been done one too many times before (chili paneer, as good as it is), or something we can't stand to eat normally. What is on your list of things you don't want to serve at your events?

Re: Foods banned from your wedding

• edited December 2011
    There's nothing too specific, but we don't want seriously oily food, or deep fried items at the wedding. We tried a few at the tasting and even though they were good, we're going to pass on putting them on the final menu.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Nothing that I can think of.  I can't think of any items that I would not want to serve at the wedding....as long as there is something that everyone can eat, I am good. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think our only hold off would be to serve lamb curry at the wedding. Our caterer says it has a certain smell that some Indians don't like??? I've never smelt it, but will take his word for it. 

We are having one goat curry though, since we know some uncles who really like it. But overall our goal was to have a little bit of everything for everyone. Hopefully we can achieve that! :D
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had only vegetarian food at our wedding /  reception.  Even all non-veg food was banned from our homes during this time.

The temple/banquet hall had a banned food restriction - no garlic or onions because they are from the ground, but we were able to use Green Onions :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think beef was banned at my wedding.

We had a few food MUSTS: Fish pakoras (me, my sis, my hubby and my in laws love it), bhindi (my hubby loves it) and ofcourse butter chicken...

yes these are all typical staples of indian weddings but we really wanted them for ous :P
  • edited December 2011
    We're all veg, all the way.

My fiance's family is Jain, and there's a couple people who don't do garlic/onions and also some who don't eat eggs, so we're trying to make some small accommodations, but it's a small number of people.

Also I think fondant is out, because it has gelatin ...
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_foods-banned-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:4d154460-a81e-4457-912a-3ff2d52a14fcPost:3de25118-e23b-4e12-83f2-76f0e6adb628">Re: Foods banned from your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're all veg, all the way. My fiance's family is Jain, and there's a couple people who don't do garlic/onions and also some who don't eat eggs, so we're trying to make some small accommodations, but it's a small number of people. <strong>Also I think fondant is out, because it has gelatin ...</strong>
    Posted by andamu[/QUOTE]

It sure does...  But there are bakers that can bake cakes using either vegan (so no egg, fondant etc) or vegetarian ingredients :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • vedikavedika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We served all vegetarian dishes at our wedding, such as: aloo curry, channa, dhal puri, dhal, bhagee, nutrella, mango jam, sweet rice and puri. At our reception, we served chicken, salmon and vegetarian lasagna (vegan noodles).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards