South Asian Weddings

Wedding Planner or DOC

Did anyone use or are planning on using a wedding planner and/or DOC? or did you use someone to help you with booking the venue.  When did you book your ceremony and reception venue? 

Re: Wedding Planner or DOC

• SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so. I'd like to have a designer, but I'm also not sure about that. Our wedding will be expensive enough with travel costs back and forth for ceremonies and a trip to India, so, including one more thing will be crazy.

I'd love to, though. A lot of venues have an on-site coordinator.
  • edited December 2011
    We're not going to use a wedding planner. And like Sonali said, some venues include a day of coordinator that will help with things, so that is what we are doing. It's not really in our budget to hire someone else.

As for booking your venue(s) it depends on where you want to have it. Some places book/fill up quickly, so it's best to to it a year or more out.

We started late and are thankfully having good luck with planning so far. We booked our venue (both ceremony and reception in the same place) at the end of May and we're getting married at the end of November.

ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow Raangoli!!  You guys did get lucky.  Everything in downtown chicago books up fast, I guess I should do it sooner rather than later, once we know our dates. 
  • edited December 2011

Hina

We book our event about 9 months before the wedding date :). I have a coordinator offered by the reception venue so I didnt hire a DOC after all.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, we are super lucky. I am seriously waiting for something to go wrong or fall apart. I hope it doesn't. I always hope for the best, but plan for the worst. How optimistic, huh? :)
    ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_wedding-planner-doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:96332ea6-6315-4a2a-b7b2-40a253a1e894Post:f4034639-7ca2-4971-b357-91d4774410d2">Re: Wedding Planner or DOC</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we are super lucky. I am seriously waiting for something to go wrong or fall apart. I hope it doesn't. I always hope for the best, but plan for the worst. How optimistic, huh? :)
    Posted by raangoli[/QUOTE]

Nothing will go wrong Raangoli, but yeah in my book you should always plan it that way, hope for the best and plan for the worst.  That way if something happens, you had already taken care of it.  LOL. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you girls are having such good luck :) Wish us the same!
  • Bhanu&AnujBhanu&Anuj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a DOC b/c I pushed for it....

My FI really wanted us hand in the planning and didn't want a planner taking over.  He wanted us to do the research on vendors and then check them out with me...but I really thought a DOC will be helpful...and with some convincing we booked the DOC

I hope we get our moneys worth
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know many people who use either. I had one friend who hired someone here in MI and the woman was a nightmare. She didn't remember or record details that were told to her five times, she didn't deliver on promises she made, and she basically did an all around bad job. In the end, the bride had to do so much more work than she had planned, rendering the concept of hiring a planner useless. Nevertheless, the day was beautiful and was one of the most gorgeous I have ever seen because of the bride's hard work.

Just have some back up ideas in case it doesn't work out for you.
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_wedding-planner-doc?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:96332ea6-6315-4a2a-b7b2-40a253a1e894Post:7aac0d72-1605-48a6-809a-bb891fba2f76">Re: Wedding Planner or DOC</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a DOC b/c I pushed for it.... My FI really wanted us hand in the planning and didn't want a planner taking over.  He wanted us to do the research on vendors and then check them out with me...but I really thought a DOC will be helpful...and with some convincing we booked the DOC I hope we get our moneys worth
    Posted by Bhanu&Anuj[/QUOTE]

Bhanu, Is your DOC just for the day of the wedding or is she helping your vendors and the venues??
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a Day of Coordinator, which actually helped with our vendors/venue - she got discounts and took care of the set-up, tear down, and helped with centerpieces - most of the inventory for it so my cost was less than $10 per :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards