South Asian Weddings

Alternative Mandap options

Does anyone have any experience with a mandap/canopy arranged by a regular florist? The Indian vendors in my area begin packages at several thousand dollars and all come with a lot of bells and whistles that I'm not interested in. 

Alternatively, my florist can make an elegant, colorful 12x12 canopy with flowers and draping for less than $500. We would have to rent a stage/platform separately (about $300) if we want the mandap structure to be slightly raised. 

Does anyone have any experience with arranging a mandap through a regular florist? Was your mandap ground level or slightly raised? Is a raised mandap essential? Additionally if you can share the dimensions of your mandap/platform (width, length, height off ground) that would be great too!

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts :)

Re: Alternative Mandap options

• There's no reason a regular florist couldn't do a great job!  Around here, there really aren't many Desi vendors, and it's a very mixed community, so everyone's used to catering to different cultural needs.  If you have some pictures and describe it as a "chuppah" they should definitely be able to do it.

Ours (in India) was not raised and I'm bad at guessing sizes, but I would say less than twelve by twelve.  However, I know different communities may have different requirements regarding what you do during the ceremony and how many family members need to fit in, but I would think your parents would have some idea.

This is ours:
  • NDomadiaNDomadia member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Hi!  I know that the indian vendors in NJ do charge several thousands of dollar,s but I highly recommend the vendor I'm using - Abishek Decorators.  This vendor was really helpful with a lot of things I didn't know about mandaps, flowers, and decorations.  They are also more than able to negotiate their prices and some of the most helpful people I know.  If you do decide to contact Abishek decorators - pleae make sure you talk to Mihir - he's basically in charge.  And if you don't want the extra bells and whistles that's normally offered, jsut tell them, they will cater to your needs.  I didn't want a lot of stuff that was originally offered to me, and they worked to give me what I want within my budgeted amount.
  • rajsimrajsim member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Hi,
    I work with Abhishek Decorators a lot and they are great. You can tell him that Simer Grewal from Dream Weddings by Simer recommended and Mihir will help you out to the best of his ability.

If you want you can also contact me Simer Grewal and I only charge a nonimal fee and can guide you through the process.

Simer Grewal
    Dream Wedding by Simer
    Exclusive & Elegant Weddings Solutions
    (216)502-5194
    dreamweddingsbysimer@gmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards