Gay Weddings

Iowa Anyone?

Hey there! My fiancee and I finally have set a date after 9 years of dating!! I'm so excited, the only thing is we live in North Dakota.... the closest state is Iowa which we have some family in. We have chose Sioux City since it's a straight shot south (4 hour drive)! I'm going crazy trying to find a reception site and gay friendly businesses! Just curious if anyone has any ideas or know of any other couples that have gotten or are getting married in the same area. Thanks!Jerri

Re: Iowa Anyone?

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might want to check out [url=http://iowagayweddingdirectory.com/]this link[/url], which has a directory of gay-friendly vendors and services, just to get a start.To be honest, though, we just started with normal wedding vendors, and assumed they would be helpful until proved otherwise.  We encountered a few that were confused (not too surprising, since our state is not one of those that has gay marriage), but none that were hostile.
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a lot of web-sites like that one....all of which are wonderful..... if you are planning a ceremony in DesMoines. There is no info I can find on Sioux City...
  • debsranddebsrand member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you click on the link to IowaSameSexWedding.com (in the Web site posted above), the minister specifically says she does same-sex weddings in Sioux City.  She may have some ideas about venues.  Also, was wondering if you would consider the Iowa Great Lakes region, which isn't that far from Sioux City.  I spent most of my summers there growing up, and it is really beautiful.  If my marriage had been annulled by Prop 8 (I married my wife here in California last fall), I would have gone there to be married next.  :-)  I saw an announcement in the New York Times about a lesbian couple who were married at Memorial Park in Spirit Lake, so that is obviously a same-sex friendly venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards