Gay Weddings

Ask the reception hall...

We are celebrating being hitched for just over 3 years.  We we searched for the right venue for our reception I took a deep breath during our first meetings with all venues and asked if they hosted gay weddings before.  I would also followed with "how comfortable is your staff who will be working our reception".

I'm happy to share that the country club we chose stated we were their first gay wedding. They assured us that they asked the staff for our reception to volunteer to work to be certain that they would be comfortable.

It was a huge success!  Occassionally when we go back for open to the public events, some staff still remark how our wedding was the best they ever attended. 

So...go boldly.  Be sure to ask. Watch for the response.  Decide from there.  BTW...2 other same sex couples got married and held their reception there that same season. 

Best of luck.  Remmber this is a celebration for you both and for your family.  Two final pearls of wisdom...
1) be prepared to be the recipients of so MUCH love on your day and events surrounding
2) get everything done 3 days before your wedding weekend.  Embrace our position of "if it's not done too bad.  We choose not to worry about it!"

Cheers and the very best to you both :)

Re: Ask the reception hall...

• since we are having a back yard wedding I did not have to ask that but I did ask that with photographers....
    and it was funny most had no issues, some had shot gay weddings, I had one respond and say they were not interested and I had a few who never responded which to me is the same as a no.

I ended up chosign someone who never has shot a gay wedding but is very excited about it.

the only thing I never asked was with the limo rental as I figure it is two hours with 10 of us including my parents they drive from point a to b with a stop in between.....
    figured there was no point
  • Thank you for the advice!  So far all the vendors we've talked to have been great...but there were some awkward moments at a wedding fair a couple weeks back.  "Which one of you is the bride?"  For serious, lady??!

Thanks for sharing your tips and success story!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree! We have asked ALL of our vendors and we have had minimal probs. I'm kinda shy about asking so I did it VIA emails. Believe it or not, you can tell how vendors feel when they email you back. Then when you schedule the meeting you can go into further details. I know A LOT of people are anti-David's Bridal, but we have had great experiences so far. They seem to be committed to treating all "brides" equal. We have a great vendor staff so far. Our DJ is even married to her wife so that's awesome. You'd be surprised how open people are. So just ask. :) Sorry about the rambling
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards