Gay Weddings
Options

Lesbian Bride in Texas

Hey everyone!!
my partner lisa and I are recently engaged!! as exciting as that is i feel like i am in way over my head....we live in east texas, like very country, and really want to have the wedding  somewhere close so friends and family dont have to travel to far. we plan on having a wedding and reception in texas and then legally getting married in NY on the honeymoon!! so far I have spoken with 3 different vendors who say they dont believe in gay marriage and will not allow us to have a wedding there. we have family who have land but they arent very supportive either. I feel so lost and need all the help i can get!! hope everyone is doing great!!!

Re: Lesbian Bride in Texas

• Options
    A) Congratulations on your engagement.
    B) Take a deep breath.
    C) Haters gonna hate.
    D) Check out www.soyoureengayged.com and www.apracticalwedding.com.They both have vendor listings for gay and gay friendly vendors.
    E) Take another deep breath.

Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Options
    I can't really add to the advice of the PP, but you do have my sympathy!  We got married in Massachusetts and had an at-home reception in Washington, DC, and never encountered hostility either place.  Things seem to be quite different in Texas.
  • Options
    To the first post thank you I will check out both of those websites! and to the second post yea so far having a lesbian weding in texas seems to be somewhat challenging!
  • Options
    Congratulations!! and Chrumn said it best :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It's a Girl!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!  Enjoy this time.
    I have no advice to add because it was perfect!

Remember ~ all that matters is you will be married. :)
    Yay!
  • Options
    Congratulations! 
    I'm so sorry your family isn't supportive.  My daughter is going to be marrying her best friends next year and we looked up a site.  twobrides.com along with this one was very helpful.
    Good Luck to you and your beautiful bride.
  • Options
    Congratulations!  I completely understand you situation,  I am recently engaged myself and am afraid I am going to run into the same problem here in consertive VA.  I have not even started looking for a venue because I am so worried about this same problem.  We are planning our cermony here close to home and will then travel to MD or DC to make it legal.  I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one struggling with this problem.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words they really help in such a negative world!! Dmcubberly i know exactly how you feel i find myself getting discouraged before I start....something that has helped me is calling on the support of friends rather then our non suportive family. I have also noticed the kindness of the lgbt community people are willing to do what they can  to help if you just reach out to them!! Since we are both seem to be going through this at the same time if you want to use this board to communicate we can try to help each other through this. :) just a thought!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats. My sister just got engaged. I'm super ecxited. I've been asked to marry them in a small outdoor wedding in TN. I'm also helping them plan the wedding.  We all live in Texas. I'm in El Paso and their in Austin. Don't get to down. Some people are not as bright as the rest of us. My sister and her girlfriend are looking into renting a cabin and having the cermony there.
    Don't worry, I'm sure everything will work out. There are still plenty of people out there that are for gay marriage like myself. Hell, if you need a photgrapher...I'll be there.

Good Luck and remember everything is possible.
    Jayel From Texas

• Options
    I would love that :)  I am new to all this and my fiance and I want our wedding to be as traditional as possible for our families, but seeing as we are a lesbian couple, traditional is hard to pull off.  But we are making it working and using the traditional wedding things for inspiration and making it our own.  I am just really nervous about finding a venue, and running into all the negativity.  I am hoping i am being over dramatic and we won't experience that at all.  We go to our first bridal show on the 24th of this month and we will see what happens.  It helps that our mothers and our bridal party are very supportive and willing to do anything and everything to make sure I have the wedding of my dreams.  Plus my fiance is bound and determined that I will get everything I want on our big day.  Would love to keep in contact thru here or email.  The more support we have the better!!
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who has made comments on my post the support is greatly needed and appriciated!! I am keeping my head up and staying more positive!!
  • Options
    This is a little late to the party sweetheart, but I feel for ya.  We're up here in Dallas and have run into more bigotry then I thought we would, but it happes.  Turns out you just can't fix stupid. I hope it all works out for ya darlin.
  • Options
    i am in texas as well....south texas that is...i know that its going to be hard but we are just going to have to bare with everyone and remember that its your day. It will be ok. 

as for the venue, why dont you look for a place that is local and free. I am suggesting this so you wont have to deal with anybody. Maybe like a park area that means a lot to you guys. If not i know that there are plenty of venues that cater, and decorate all in one and you could get a close friend to marry you guys. Idk what to do either so im on the same boat. If you have any ideas please share...good luck 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards