Gay Weddings
Options

Anyone having issues with their parents...

....Accepting your partner? Or is anyone out their having a hard time getting their future in laws to accept you into their family? 

Re: Anyone having issues with their parents...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My father and step father have basically told me they will not be in attendance. My Fiancee' parents have told her that they will not be there either. They do like me however and have invited me to all of the family events and stuff like that. My prayer is they will have a change of heart and come to the wedding. We plan to send them all invites anyway so that it is their decision.
     Hope this helps!!!

i finally found the one!
    blog post photo

• Options
    llucas45llucas45 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    my parents have been accepting but i have an aunt and cousin who we were going to spend a few days on our honeymoon with, and after they said they were excited to see us and happy for us i recieved an email from my cousin saying they would perfer us not to visit because my marriage was inappropiate and she didnt want to explain it to her two year old.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Fabi&NitaFabi&Nita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow it makes me sad that you girls are having hard times with your family. We are so lucky that all of our family are totally fine with us and are happy for us. I wish you get the support of friends and family. Stay close to the people that support and love you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It's a Girl!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP is casting for a TV show - she's posing as a bride to get your stories and look for participants.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_harsh-moms-dads

• Options
    AmiDeniseAmiDenise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our parents aren't coming, but for different reasons. 

My mother and I haven't had a relationship since I came out, my father's been out of the picture since I was 1 year old. 

My FIL's aren't coming because we live in GA but are getting married in DC; the trip's just too much for my FMIL.  That said, they've been extremely supportive of us and ask about the progress of the wedding plans weekly.  My FI's brother and sister aren't as supportive.  Her brother at least acknowledged that he got the invitation and that we're getting married.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents ignored it and tried to pretend like it wasn't happening.  Once I told them about the ceremony I started to get daily emails condemning me and telling me I'm going to hell.  I finally told them to stop.  I now have basically been disowned by my entire family.  My birthday just passed and I didn't get one phone call.  My dad mailed a card and actually wrote in it that he only mailed it because he felt like he had to.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    m00siem00sie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry you all have such unsupportive parents/family.

I know my parents are not 100% happy with my choices, but they will be at my wedding and so will my partners parents.

I honestly don't think you deserve to have children if you are not going to love and support them unconditionally.

To those that are already married, I hope you had a fantastic day :)

To those getting married, I am sure your day will be fabulous and just remember the most important people there will be you and your partner.
  • Options
    marsbuehlermarsbuehler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, i'm having issues too. My parents are dealing with the "initial shock" of receiving our wedding invitation which is BS because they have known about it for a year now. It's so frustrating. My partner's mother and entire family are coming to Boston for our wedding from Illinois and my parents live in Boston and said they weren't going. I agree with what someone said about the two most important people at the wedding are you and your partner but I can't imagine getting married without my parents there :(
  • Options
    IndiayaIndiaya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Finally being engaged to the love of your life should be one of the best times of your life, not the most stressful.  I was so excited when my girlfriend Ashley proposed to me that I couldnt stop smiling and kissing her. About an hour later i changed my relationship status on FB from in a relationship to engaged. Immediately the congratulations messages started to roll in from friends and co-workers. The next day i received a text message from my mom saying that she had heard some disturbing news and needed to talk to me ASAP. I called he after work and she asked me if the engagement was real. I informed her that it was and she let out a huge sigh and responded that she wanted no part in it. I asked her what she meant and she said that her religous beliefs will not permit her to be happy about something as sinful as such and would prefer if my fiance and I kept our distance from her and my younger siblings so we wouldnt have an influence on them. I informed her that nothing would change as far as our behavior, but that didnt matter to her. I was hurt because shes known about me being a lesbian for over 10years now and whenever the subject is brought she acts as though its new to her. I decided not to dwell on the situation but it is hard. Hopefully she comes around!
    FingersCrossed
  • Options
    renjon7798renjon7798 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok.  First off, I am not gay, but some of my best friends are and I am actually helping in planning the wedding of two very dear gay friends of mine.  It amazes me every single day that so many people; mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc, turn their backs on their loved ones simiple because they find love!  I commend each and every one of you for finding love and having courage to show it.  I can't understand anyone saying they wouldn't share the happiest day with their family. 

Im sorry if any of this sounds corny or cheesy, but closed minded people frustrate with me and I deal with it a lot with people in rural Iowa who don't get that gays and lesbians deserve just as much respect as everyone else. 

So in closing...CONGRATULATIONS TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!!  I WISH ALL OF YOU YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS OF WEDDED BLISS AND HAPPINESS!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This topic is the theme-song to my life right now..

I'm ecstatic to be marrying the absolute love of my life, Elizabeth, but my mom and some family is making it so difficulty for me to truly enjoy the planning and the entire process. I haven't been able to take my mom to certain meetings such as for flowers, invitations, venue, etc. I doubt she even knows the actually date of one of the most important times in my life. She is pretending like nothing is going on. I don't think she really wants to be a part of anything. She actually went as far as to tell me that I was not "allowed" to invite certain family members b/c she didn't want to be embarrassed and didn't want them knowing. 

It's difficult b/c my fiance's ENTIRE family is attending and very supportive and excited. No matter how much our marriage is going to unify our families, I still want the love and support of mine. 
    I'm trying to focus on my fiance and me for OUR SPECIAL DAY, and just really make it about us. The ball is on their court now and I've had to live 2 different lives when it comes to my family anyways. Hopefully they will come around. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards