Gay Weddings

Anyone have trouble finding a Gay friendly DJ in Michigan?

My partner and I are getting married next fall. We are having a simple ceremony with a reception afterwards with about 100 of our family and friends. We are having difficulty finding a DJ who is comfortable with working a comiitment ceremony. I have had reactions like the following:
1. " Sorry we are Christian and our faith does not allow us to participate in something like that"

2. Sorry, we have no experience with that sort of thing and you would be better served with another DJ.

3. Yea, I'm open... I watch "Ellen".. Really???

HELP!

Re: Anyone have trouble finding a Gay friendly DJ in Michigan?

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say to go with the one who watches Ellen.  ;-)

Seriously, in a state that does not yet have legal same-sex marriage, a lot of vendors will have no experience with same-sex ceremonies.  All you can really do is to get recommendations of good vendors (perhaps from your local board--see links to the left), and then see how open they are to a same-sex ceremony.  If they are open to it, I wouldn't rule them out for just not having experience with it before.

In our own wedding planning, we visited one bridal salon where the owner was so clueless about same-sex weddings that she asked each of us our wedding date, then exclaimed, "Gee, two such good friends are getting married on the same day?"  However, after we explained, she got really excited by the challenge of finding coordinating wedding dresses and veils, and came up with some great suggestions.  On the bright side, we figure she won't be so clueless with the next same-sex couple.
  • edited December 2011

You would think the DJ's would be excited to have someone who wants to pay them for a great party!

We are doing the legal part in New York... But wanted everyone to share in our joy so we are doing something at home. But you are right, until it is legal in most states, most vendors are going to be clueless about how things are supposed to be,.

Can I ask if you had a DJ and if you did some of the "traditional" wedding events at your reception? We are trying to figure out how to merge a little bit of tradtion with the fact there is nothing traditional about our wedding. We want the day to be a celebration of love, family and friends and everyone to walk away with a day they will remember and that they had a wonderful time!

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, you should definitely be able to find a DJ excited to have someone who wants to pay them for a great party!  However, a) you may have to rule out a few idiots who wouldn't recognize a great party if it had more than the usual number of brides or grooms, and b) you may have to be a bit creative in applying traditions.

At our wedding, we didn't have a DJ.  Instead, we brought in a friend who is an acoustic guitarist and sings professionally in local venues.  We also have a bunch of friends who are very into dance, and will dance to almost anything, so it all worked out.

We're also older (56 and 41 when we married), so we skipped some of the traditional wedding events.  We did have a first dance--a swing dance--and found a wonderful dance instructor who helped us choreograph something that would show off two wedding dresses instead of just one.  We had a cake cutting.  And we had some toasts.  However, we skipped the garter/bouquet toss (even though we had two bouquets and two garters), and didn't have special dances other than the first dance.

However, you can adapt the traditions any way you like.  Our rabbi was actually amused when his stepdaughter and her wife had father-daughter dances at their wedding, asking why they wouldn't have mother-daughter dances.

I do have a page at this link on the special issues in our same-sex marriage, if you are interested.  We were lucky enough not to encounter any vendors who were hostile.  However, we still got caught up short a few times in figuring out how to adapt traditions.
  • edited December 2011
    Definately check with your local board.  Also, do a google search with that info too. that helped me find one. I agree with 2dbride, don't discount them just because they havent done one previously. as long as they are open to the idea and would be comfortable, at leaste meet with them.  i emailed several djs and all were open to the idea, i was suprised not one "ignored" my email. the same cant be said for some reception venues that I called. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure where in MI you are, but this DJ is listed on so you're engayged: http://www.soyoureengayged.com/vendor-list/musicians-and-djs/jambalaya-sound-and-light/

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all. My search is on... :-)
  • As a Massachusetts DJ specializing in LGBT weddings, it is important to understand that your wedding needs to reflect the two of you and not be like everyone else's. From a traditional standpoint, many LGBT couples I have worked with incorporate such traditions as a first dance, parents dances, cake cutting, and if it is a Jewish Wedding, a few dances like the Hora, etc. I have a few LGBT videos on my blog at www.jameshallevents.com/blog that you can view to possibly get some ideas. In Michigan, I would try contacting Mitch Taylor at Taylored Weddings who I'm sure would be happy to help you further in finding a DJ for your event. He's one of the top wedding DJs in the country Best of Luck, James Hall James Hall Events www.jameshallevents.com www.jameshallevents.com/blog www.berkshiredj.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards