Gay Weddings

No gifts but contribution to our honeymoon!

Hi, mi fiance and I are getting married next May in Spain where the tradition is to give money isntead of a present. We have a lot of friends that are coming from other countries and we don't know how to write in the invitations we don't need gifts but a contribution to our honeymoon. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. 

Re: No gifts but contribution to our honeymoon!

• We have the same issue...we've had our house for 6 years, we dont need anything for it...but we do need $ for the Honeymoon.  I have no clue what to do about that or how to handle it?!?!
    ***HAPPILY MARRIED 10-11-12*** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can you do a Honeymoon registry? A friend of mine found an organization where you "bought" parts of the honeymoon, like, we bought them a nice dinner out. It was something like this (i'm not sure if it's the same site or not) http://www.honeyfund.com/

When a friend of mine got married, she didn't make a registry because she was moving out of the country. When people called to ask what to get her, I said cash. Tell whoever people would call about the registry (mothers, friends, siblings, etc) to say cash. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is never appropriate to put registry or gift information on an invitation. Traditionally, that information would be given to the couple's parents, the MoH and the Best Man, who would direct guests to the registry. These days, you also have the option of putting your registry information on your wedding website. The bad news is that it is also never appropriate to ask guests for cash. Ultimately, gift giving isn't about you telling people what you want, but about your guests thoughtfully providing something that they want you to have. If you want money, you can tell people, "Oh we aren't having a registry. We already have so many nice things,' and let them do the math themselves. Yes, you run the risk of not getting as much cash as you might otherwise, but you avoid the risk of mortally offending your guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • Seconding chrmun.  If you don't have a registry, people can figure out on their own to give you cash.  And they can give it to you by cash or check, so there won't be the fee associated with a honeymoon registry.  Plus, you won't risk offending them to the point that they decide not to give you anything.
  • I'd suggest a honeyfund, or a honey moon registery. That's my fiance and I are doing, as we're in a similair position, and we really want a nice honeymoon.

Google "honeyfund" or "honeymoon registery" and you'll find several sites that run such programs. Then you use that as your registery, and your guest buy you a sort of gift card for your trip. It's really neat, as your guest get a 'present' for you (some with actual gift certificates) and you get what you want without offending anyone. I think that's your safest bet.
  • You can also put it on your wedding website.  In the "registry' section of the wedding website... we wrote... that we felt like we already had everything we needed, and our guests presence at the ceremony was more than enough of a "gift".  But, if they wanted to contribute to our honeymoon fund, or make a donation to the SPCA in our honor, we would appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards