Washington-Seattle

Molook's Question.

I got my wedding dress at the Seattle wedding expo from Molook's. The lady in charge (the seamstress?) told me when I bought the dress that she would press and clean it for free. I tried to call and ask about it, but I couldn't really understand what she was saying (she has a thick russian accent and kept speaking in fragmented sentences). She told me to bring the dress in this weekend, but I think she thought I was scheduling a fitting (she didn't seem to understand me well, either). I would just go in to figure it out, but Molook's is 90-minutes away (I don't want to have to make an extra trip). I don't know why, but I am really freaked out by this whole situation. I keep having nightmares that I am going to drop off the dress to be cleaned and they don't give it back in time for the wedding (or they don't give it back at all)! Does anyone have any experience with this place (good or bad)? Should I just pay for the local tailor to clean the dress (about $80)? Thanks so much for your help!

Re: Molook's Question.

• mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any experience with Molook's, but eek!  I would be sceptical to drop my dress off there too, because communication seems so shoddy and your cleaning might not actually be free (it doesn't seem that the lady you spoke with was able to confirm it).  The situation seems sketchy, imo.  Is there any other employee you could speak to at Molook's (over the phone)?  Someone w/o an accent?  Being so close to your wedding, you really shouldn't have to go 90 minutes out of your way for a potential good deal, I don't know about you but ALL of my weekends from now to the wedding are already pretty busy.  As long as you aren't already CRAZY overbudget, $80 isn't too bad, imo.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • edited December 2011
    Reviews seem to be mixed. So I would maybe say that, considering the price of gas and your time... perhaps have it done closer to you. Your next best bet would be to try to get her email address and communicate in writing. Accents are sometimes so hard over the phone when you can't watch their lips or rely on any body language at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Okay so I was a bit over with my drive time. I guess it is only an hour. I called the local cleaners and their prices went up to $95 since the last time I checked. I am going to try calling the boutique again. Maybe if I am lucky someone who can understand me (and someone that I can understand) will pick up.
  • edited December 2011
    UPDATE: Umm...their phone number has been "temporarily" disconnected. Something tells me this place is pretty shady.
  • edited December 2011
    Especially with your update, I would go with your gut. The place does sound a little shady, so I wouldn't bother with the "free cleaning."
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, I bought a dress from Molook's during the Seattle wedding show.  She had told me at the time that they can clean it for me as well but when I showed up at her place with the wedding dress, she said I would need to pay for it.  Her shop turned out to be the basement portion of her house.  She had also promised a free veil with my dress when i had purchased it but would not give me the veil when i had stopped by because she said it would be a veil custom made for me so to come back when I am ready to have the dress tailored (a few months before the wedding date).  I am getting married this June.  I have been calling Molook's every day for the past several days to see if she can still do the alterations as well as give me the free veil.  It seems like the phone just rings and the mailbox is full!! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_molooks-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:589d6c66-b305-440c-ac58-1c3ba5645371Post:15056429-0a9c-4e53-a8be-2b413e9f97f8">Re: Molook's Question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, I bought a dress from Molook's during the Seattle wedding show.  She had told me at the time that they can clean it for me as well but when I showed up at her place with the wedding dress, she said I would need to pay for it.  Her shop turned out to be the basement portion of her house.  She had also promised a free veil with my dress when i had purchased it but would not give me the veil when i had stopped by because she said it would be a veil custom made for me so to come back when I am ready to have the dress tailored (a few months before the wedding date).  I am getting married this June.  I have been calling Molook's every day for the past several days to see if she can still do the alterations as well as give me the free veil.  It seems like the phone just rings and the mailbox is full!! 
    Posted by lmouster487[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I am so sorry! When we went to her place to get the dress cleaned, she wasn't there. We couldn't get a hold of her. I left her a message and she never returned my call. She has awful customer service! When I do my vendor reviews, I am going to give her an F!!! We decided to give up and get our dress cleaned somewhere else.

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have a recommendation for wedding dress alterations?  She was suppose to do my alterations.  Now that i have brought the dress to another place, the woman wanted to charge me $1000 for alterations!!  YIKES!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_molooks-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:589d6c66-b305-440c-ac58-1c3ba5645371Post:77e49388-9cd5-42a1-ad05-eee1c44ff15c">Re: Molook's Question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a recommendation for wedding dress alterations?  She was suppose to do my alterations.  Now that i have brought the dress to another place, the woman wanted to charge me $1000 for alterations!!  YIKES!
    Posted by lmouster487[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't...sorry. I didn't get my dress altered. I just got it pressed and cleaned. I would not recommend going to Molook's. You might not get your dress back in time (that seems to be a common complaint in reviews)! </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards