Gay Weddings
Options

Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal

So, I recently got engaged on 5/13/12.  We had been together off and on for the past couple of years.  I decided that I needed to take a break after the painful death of my mother.  I'm all alone in planning this without my mother and I'm really just stuck on where to start in planning my wedding.  I know that GA is not a lesbian friendly state to get married in and at one point I was thinking about having a DW.  I soon found out that only a few of my family members could attend the wedding.  I'm reaching out to see if there are any suggestions that could help us get started on things to do.  We have done the small things like choose the colors, pick the date, set a budget(that keeps changing), and finally we've chosen the bridal party.  I want  something nice, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a big wedding.  Since my mother will only be present in spirit; a DW with only 10ppl would be ok.  I was thinking about having the wedding and then maybe a reception when I return home.  Her family doesn't really accept her(besides the small selected few) so my family is truly her family.  I'm just looking for a few good idea's.  Maybe a planner, we need to take engagement pictures.  I just really don't want to deal with anyone that doesn't respect us and our decision to marry, but are completely willing to take our money.  That doesn't fly with me.  HELP IF YOU CAN PLZ!!!!!

Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal

• Options

There are couple of sites you can go and find gay friendly vendors. If you tell me where you might want to get married at maybe I can look and see if I have some contacts.
    www.gayweddings.com
    www.soyoureengayged.com

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to Vermont in September. We are having about 15 people. We wanted to go somewhere where it was legal. If that doesn't matter to you, I've heard Key West is a great place to get married.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_getting-started-any-suggestionsthinking-of-a-dwwhere-same-sex-marriage-is-legal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:af99b58d-17eb-40d0-828b-076aa531b153Post:b251bf8d-8c31-451b-a1ad-dc74281dc21e">Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are couple of sites you can go and find gay friendly vendors. If you tell me where you might want to get married at maybe I can look and see if I have some contacts. <a href="http://www.gayweddings.com" rel="nofollow">www.gayweddings.com</a> www. soyour eengayged.com
    Posted by nicknuttnc[/QUOTE]
    Thank you very much.  We aren't sure.  We live in Atlanta, but they aren't so gay friendlly.  We were thinking of just doing a destination wedding even though that would leave us not having many to attend.  I was thinking that once we get home we could have the reception in atlanta.  Just so many thoughts going through my mind right now.  I'm thinking it might be best to find a wedding planner to help with everything.  Thanks again.  And congrats to you and yours....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_getting-started-any-suggestionsthinking-of-a-dwwhere-same-sex-marriage-is-legal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:af99b58d-17eb-40d0-828b-076aa531b153Post:afd9ab40-eb91-4abc-b5fe-b3c91b05c303">Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to Vermont in September. We are having about 15 people. We wanted to go somewhere where it was legal. If that doesn't matter to you, I've heard Key West is a great place to get married.
    Posted by jmuck77[/QUOTE]
    I also want to go somewhere that it's legal.  That is really important to us as well.  Thank you so much for your comment.  Congrats to you....
  • Options
    Thanks! Congrats to you as well. Keep us updated on what y'all decide. I love hearing about everyone's plans. :)
  • Options
    Oh and when we were first planning we thought about going to central park in NYC and having a ceremony there and then having an at home reception later.
  • Options
    Just so that people are aware, if you go somewhere that it is legal, and it becomes legal in your state, or in the whole country, in most cases your marriage would be legal retroactively.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_getting-started-any-suggestionsthinking-of-a-dwwhere-same-sex-marriage-is-legal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:af99b58d-17eb-40d0-828b-076aa531b153Post:3707b542-3a5e-42cf-b8b6-884e4e08779e">Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! Congrats to you as well. Keep us updated on what y'all decide. I love hearing about everyone's plans. :)
    Posted by jmuck77[/QUOTE]  Thank you so much.  I will do that, and you do the same...
  • Options
    I live in Atlanta also and there are many not so gay friendly places but I have found several vendors and sites that are. Midtown is the best place to look and Decatur if you do decide to do it in Atlanta... If u want you can pm me and I can give u the names of the caterer etc that I am using although ours will be around 85 to 100 peeps. Have you considered a private dinner room for the dinner and ceremony? A dw is great though I wanted to stay here where it was easy for most of our guests and when it becomes legal we will go to the justice of the peace and I will get to wear my dress again yeeeeeeeaaaaaa.....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_getting-started-any-suggestionsthinking-of-a-dwwhere-same-sex-marriage-is-legal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:af99b58d-17eb-40d0-828b-076aa531b153Post:537a01d6-975b-42e4-bada-58d4f8ee27af">Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in Atlanta also and there are many not so gay friendly places but I have found several vendors and sites that are. Midtown is the best place to look and Decatur if you do decide to do it in Atlanta... If u want you can pm me and I can give u the names of the caterer etc that I am using although ours will be around 85 to 100 peeps. Have you considered a private dinner room for the dinner and ceremony? A dw is great though I wanted to stay here where it was easy for most of our guests and when it becomes legal we will go to the justice of the peace and I will get to wear my dress again yeeeeeeeaaaaaa.....
    Posted by stormylipstick[/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much for all of your help.  I will be sending you a pm soon.  I was only thinking of it being small if it was a DW.  If it is in Atl I will be having a rather lager reception.  Thanks so much again. I have a very bigggg family....lol
  • Options
    I don't know if this will help you much, but I do know of an Atlanta photographer who will shoot gay weddings. A couple friends of mine looked into hiring her and she was great, but they ended up not getting married. :(

www.suwaneecreekphotography.com

Good luck and congrats!
  • Options
    We did a DW in Massachusetts with only a dozen people, then had a larger at-home reception later.  I think that's what most same-sex couples who want a legal wedding do, if their home state does not allow it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_getting-started-any-suggestionsthinking-of-a-dwwhere-same-sex-marriage-is-legal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:af99b58d-17eb-40d0-828b-076aa531b153Post:44cc3748-4933-4566-bac3-d50c2819ef86">Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did a DW in Massachusetts with only a dozen people, then had a larger at-home reception later.  I think that's what most same-sex couples who want a legal wedding do, if their home state does not allow it.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

<p class="MsoNormal">That is what we did. Just got married on 5/26/2012.  We traveled from Alaska to Boston with our parent in attendance.  It was the most perfect and beautiful wedding for us. We are having a large reception back in Alaska in August to celebrate with our friends and family in our hometown. Thank you to all the Boston folks, you made my destination wedding better <span> </span>than I could have ever imagined. . </p>  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_getting-started-any-suggestionsthinking-of-a-dwwhere-same-sex-marriage-is-legal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:af99b58d-17eb-40d0-828b-076aa531b153Post:6dd8d6e4-468b-4698-8fd7-6abdaad26a4d">Re: Getting started.... Any suggestions....Thinking of a DW.....where same sex marriage is legal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if this will help you much, but I do know of an Atlanta photographer who will shoot gay weddings. A couple friends of mine looked into hiring her and she was great, but they ended up not getting married. :( <a href="http://www.suwaneecreekphotography.com" rel="nofollow">www.suwaneecreekphotography.com</a> Good luck and congrats!
    Posted by ladydawg11[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sorry that your friends didn't get married, and thank you so much for your help....
    <div>
    </div></div>
  • Options

My partner and i are getting married in Niagara Falls, since gay marriage is now legal in New York State. We are actually surprised at the number of people who are willing to travel from Atlanta (where we live). Niagara Falls has been REALLY accepting and gay friendly. a lot of our guests are excited about both seeing the Falls and coming to our wedding. Just a suggestion...

• Options
    My favorites are Purple Unions - http://purpleunions.com/, they offer exclusively gay friendly hotels, destinations and yep officiants.

Several states offer varying degrees of legal marriage.  Since it is not recongnized right across the US as you know, you could be legally married in NY and not have a single right in Ok.  So bare that in mind ... I would pick a place like HI and do it right on the beach !

Reverend Lisa
  • Options

My partner & I are getting married in 28 days at a state park, south of Atlanta.  Will it be legal? No.  Will that matter?  No.

We have an amazing photographer who shoots gay weddings exclusively.  http://kira-mariephoto.com/

Our friend/chiropractor studied to be a priest prior to attending school for chiropractic, so she will be our officiant.

We are doing our own cakes, food, music & decor (together with a large family & group of close friends.)  While we still have 9 days left for our RSVP period, we are anticipating a total of just over 100 people (counting children - this is a 2nd marriage for each of us & children are very important to us and our friends/family.)

At this point, everything is all set & we are no longer in "planning" mode so much as "execute" and "craft" and "cook/freeze" mode.  We've been planning for well over a year.

I'm happy to talk more in private if you'd like.  Good luck to you - just know that there are lgbt friendly vendors and locations here, you just have to know where to look and be willing/able to take on some things yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards