Gay Weddings

finding a Rabbi

I am trying to help my daughter and her partner find a rabbi in the los angeles area that will participate in an interfaith ceremony.  Our good friend who is a Lutheran pastor will officiate but since we are Jewish we are hoping to find a Rabbi.  Any suggestions?

Re: finding a Rabbi

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might check out Interfaith Family.  They have a "Request a Rabbi" function for that very purpose.

I can say from experience that it is harder to find a rabbi who will participate in an interfaith ceremony than to find one who will participate in a same-sex ceremony.  Thus, you need not fear that anyone to whom she is referred will have an issue with her choice of partner.
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good advice above, also consider researching LGBT Congregations in the LA area.

My wedding was officiated by a Cantor from a (not gay) Reform Congregation in NJ and she had no issues at all with marrying a same-sex or inter-faith couple (my wife was raised Catholic).

Good luck!

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    Many rabbis from Reform congregations will officiate same sex and interfaith marriages, so long as the couple is committed to raising a jewish family (if children are in their plan). Many rabbis will also officiate interfaith, but not with a nonjewish clergy. I know the Rabbi at my synagogue does both weddings, but we are in Las Vegas.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards