Gay Weddings

Domestic Partnership Paperwork in California

I asked this question on The Nest board as well, but I'm hoping someone here might know!

My fiancee and I are holding our wedding ceremony on October 15th of this year. We would love for our domestic partnership certificate to reflect that date, especially since it would have been my fiancee's grandparent's 51st wedding anniversary.

I have three main questions:
1) How long does it take on average to get your domestic partnership certificate if you do your paperwork by mail?

2) Is the date on the certificate the day you signed the paperwork, or the day the secretary of state got it?

3) If you submit the paperwork over-the-counter in either the Sacramento or L.A. regional office, do you get the certificate the same day?

I did send an e-mail to the Secretary of State's office but I honestly don't have much faith in a quick/comprehensive reply and I'm worried about getting caught up in a phone mire if I call - so any help would be great! Thanks in advance! Laughing

Re: Domestic Partnership Paperwork in California

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest going to your local municipality and speaking with the clerk. They may direct you to the Health Department (I know many towns in NJ marriages and civil unions are issued through the health department) and ask them these questions.

Another resource would be to contact Eqaulity California or look on their website. They may have detailed information about the filing for a domestic partnership.

Good luck!

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards