Canada

do guests have the right to this

Maybe im just being overly sensitive about this (and i do have the right to be sensitive and insulted) but my mum got a call from my great uncle and he told her that he and his wife were very insulted that i was not making them an invite in english. I handmade all my invites in french because my fmaily is french and so is my fiances and i thought it would be a nice gesture and you know what i like seeing the invites in french. I spent over 4 months making these invites and i am now mailing them out but i cant mail out theirs because they want me to make them an invite they way they want to see it. My mum said they were extremely insulted over this. I don't have time to start individually customizing the invites to suit everyones language and i know they can read and understand french. Do they have the right to actually call my mum to call me and demand i make them an english invite...and it is a demand. I still cant believe that could happen....ARGH!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: do guests have the right to this

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't re-do the invite in English. It sounds like an unreasonable demand. I agree with the PP - to placate him you could include a handwritten note in English.
  • GillyMikeGillyMike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow thats a pain. The shouldn't be insulted at all its your wedding and yours doing something nice. I think thats beautiful doing them in French. I wouldn't re-do them just for them. If they don't want to come just because of that well then - thats pretty sad! :(   Good luck, follow your heart!
  • wallillabouwallillabou member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, Being an English Quebecer, born, raised and living here all my life, I understand the language conflict and how hard it can be to do even the simplest of things at times and have everyone be happy. It's not always as simple as it may seem, and certainly, you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings/insult them; yet, you also shouldn't need to change who you are in the process of doing so. This language issue is such a loaded question, with so many years of history behind it, I am inclined to ask why specifically he is so "extremely insulted" by French on an invitation? Perhaps the path of least resistance is the easiest, which would require making only a few invitations in English for those who are English, or what about a bilingual invitation? A few invitations is not the end of the world, and would take at most, I'm assuming, one or two evenings of work? In any case, we all know how some "older" family members can be - set in their ways and just downright stubborn, but the fact remains that if you really want these people at your wedding, try your best to accomodate them. If however your full wedding ceremony and reception are in French (thus the French-only invites would make sense), well, why bother trying to do them in English? This great uncle may be "extremely insulted" the day of your wedding - and do you really want to have to contend with that on YOUR day?Go with what your heart tells you, if he means something to you (and from your post I get the sense you do feel somewhat obligated/family/etc), try to accomodate him. If he is more of a nuisance though than his presence is, cut your losses and move on. Be true to yourself and you'll do the right thing to make you happy.Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards